Recommendations for Vanuatu/New Caledonia?

Sonicked

Hi all :)

I'll be going on a 9 night RCI cruise to Vanuatu and New Caledonia at the end of November. Super excited, but I'd really love to hear some first-hand accounts. I'm not sure that we'll be booking shore excursions through RCI, so any suggestions as to what to do whilst in port (be it sort our own day or buy excursions at the port) would be appreciated.

We will be visiting

- Noumea, NC

- Ouvea? (I've heard that cruise ships haven't actually stopped here in quite a few years?)

- Mystery Island, Vanuatu

- Isle of Pines, NC

I'd love to hear some accounts as to what some fellow travellers got up to on these islands. I find that first hand accounts are SO much more helpful.

:)

We were on a cruise in May that called at Noumea and Vila. We did our own thing at both places. At Noumea we caught the shuttle bus to the Tourist Centre as the ship tied up at the container terminal. Sometimes the ship berths adjacent to the Tourist Centre and there is no need to catch a bus. There are quite a few "tour operators" outside of the tourist offices. We took one for a tour of the city and outskirts for $15 each for about 2 hours and it was very good. At Vila we took a mini bus from the ship to the main town. There are dozens of them at the port touting for business with fares varying between $10 @ $20 one way. The excellent duty free stores are in the main town so it pays to travel the couple of kilometres into town to shop. There are also dozens of local stalls selling souvenirs and cheap clothing lined up on each side of the road just outside of the wharf secure area. We didnt find them particularly cheap and the prices in the city stalls were cheaper.

John

Just back - went to Vila, Noumea, Isle of Lines and Mystery Island from your list. To Johndon's advice about Noumea and Vila, I would add. Be sure and pick up a copy of The New Caledonia Weekly from the Torist Office or the Cruise Terminal if you dock there. We did our own tour of the Aquarium in the morning , ate lunch at L'Annexe in Coconut Square and watched the festivities for the South Pacific Games - that was a one off bonus. We like Noumea (not eveyone does). In Vila we did much as Johndon suggests and added a Coconut Crab lunch at La Tentation. Some of the "adventure" style tours are fun. I have done canooing and horseriding in the past. Half day tours in the AM are the go so you can fit in some retail therapy in the afternoon.

On Mystery Island it is very much the deserted island (uninhabited) until it rapidly fills with the passengers from the ship and the locals from the nearby island who set up their wares for the day. I did a snorkeling tour that I bought from the locals on shore - they were cheap for what you got and even cheaper if you share with another couple. You can snorkel from the beach but if you like some clear water around you the boat trips are worth it. On the Isle of Pines I did the Natural Aquarium tour - not usually possible as a "do it on your own" basis. A nice drive, a short lagoon and bush walk and a good half day tour. There are few taxis or vans for hire on the Isle of Pines but the locals do run round the island tours, which we have done in the past and enjoyed. You can also snorkel from the lagoon near the Sacred Rock and there are usually performances in the park area (turn left as you leave the tender wharf) . A beautiful place this island!

Browse through some of the member reviews on P&O or Princess as well for some more port ideas.

Enjoy your research!

Colleen

Colleen and John, thank you so much for your suggestions :) Will definitely take it into consideration.

We're not scheduled for a stop at Vila, although I would love to go there. Perhaps they might substitute Vila for Ouvea instead. It's been years since I visited Vila and I loved it immensely when I was there. Would certainly be lovely to visit once more :)

Archived