GCT The Seine: Paris to Normandy

quilter06

We've done 3 trips with GCT and have been very satisfied. Now we're thinking about the Seine: Paris to Normandy. Has anyone had experience with this river cruise? What month is best? Do you suggest the pre trip to Paris and the post trip to Brittany?

Sorry no one has answered your question that has done this since we did it three years ago. We found it to be a great trip! We did do the pre-trip in Paris, but did not like the GCT hotel at that time. Meridian location was great, but the hotel itself was rundown, we were without heat (it was cold and damp) for two of the three days, and the smell of mold and mildew was awful. We did the trip in November, early, but loved the itinerary and had some great weather after we left rainy and foggy Paris. We highly recommend this trip and would do it again but probably with another line because of the age and condition of GCT's boats. We love France and Paris especially, so anytime we can go we do!

While we did enjoy our one GCT cruise, we were not happy with the pullman type beds, which the MS Biset used on this cruise has. That was our fault for not checking into the line more closely before booking. But, as you have sailed with them before, you must be aware of their bed setup and are happy with it.

We are going on the same itinerary but with Viking who we have used before and has standard beds. First time going on this so can't help you there.

Cheers,

Thank you for your replies and comments. I checked with GCT and they now use Mercure Hotel in Paris which has a very good rating from Trip Advisor. Most of the time GCT choses good hotels but we have had a few marginal ones too. I always put that in my evaluations and I have seen them change hotels because of unfavorable comments. Although we have been on a river cruise on the Nile the GCT ship did not have pullman beds. Then their ship on the Yangtze did not have them either. Recently we were to be on the Concerto but it had a accident and GCT commissioned the Royal Crown for our Great Rivers cruise. It also did not have pullman beds. We absolutely loved that ship but its availablity was only until the Concerto was repaired. So we have not experienced the pull down beds and I must admit I don't look forward to that sleeping arrangement. Infact the beds may be a deal breaker for us. However I have talked to past passengers who had no complaints about them.

I do like GCT itinerary, program directors and tours. Now if we could get them to change the beds on the ship! I'll let everyone know our travel decisions and post a review when we get home. We think we want to travel Sept. 2012. Sounds like a good weather month. Am I right?

I did this cruise about 3 years ago on the Bizet. It was a very nice cruise. I've done 6 GCT river cruises and one on Vantage. Loved them all. We did this cruise over the 4th of July and the crew went all out for us that day. They decorated the whole ship with red, white and blue flags, balloons and a big sign saying "Happy Birthday America". Our PDs got some bottles of special wine and we had a toast up on deck while we were cruising. They made about 10 sheet cakes and were all decorated like our flag and the dining room staff all had ties and hats that looked like our flag. That was just another nice touch to make that cruise special for us. But we really liked the itinerary. They had a little presentation on Utah Beach for about 7 guys that were WW2 vets. Then at the American cemetery they had a very moving ceremony honoring all of our veterans. When the Star Spangle Banner played, it brought tears to my eyes while looking out at the vast acreage of all those white crosses. Besides all the Normandy beaches, etc. the rest of the trip was very nice, too. We visited Van Gogh's grave, Monet's house and gardens, saw where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake, not to mention the lovely tours of Paris, both by boat and bus. Our guide was Jean Pierre. How French can you get? He was great! I have never had a problem with the beds. I find them comfortable. I like that you can raise the head of the bed. Guess that's it. Hope you go and enjoy the trip.

Archived