snorkeling

We always take our own fins as weknow theyfit correctly and have less chance of coming off. For a shore excursion with another cruise line we opted NOT to take our fins and left them on the ship...BIG mistake...they wouldn't stay on and we were lagging behind.

Hope that helps! Happy cruisin'

I wouldn't recommend going without fins. Yes you certainly can do it, but you will tire very quickly and not cover nearly the amount of reef, as with fins.

We take ours too - but admit they do add alot of drag to the backpack, as you shop or walk back to the ship....along with the wet towels, etc.

If you are still shopping, do consider weight and size of fins. Unlike diving, you don't need the big monster pro versions. Even the shorter 'surf' versions I think would be fine. I am looking this summer to replace our traditional cheap black rubber ones, with a lighter plastic. Not only for lugging them around on an excursion, but the airlines new enforcement of baggage weight limits. Every little bit helps.

If you plan to snorkel even just a few times - Regardless of the fins question - absolutely invest in your own quality mask and snorkel. Every face shape is different. Try them on at the store until you get one that is comfortable and seals well. Nothing hinders a great snorkel trip more, than an ill fitting mask.

Well I guess you could snorkel without fins; but wouldn't your legs be paddling like mad the whole time?

We always bring ours. They fit fine in the top zipper compartment of our suitcases. Then we bring a mesh bag to carry them in.

celtic

We've owned our snorkel gear for about 3 years now and until now have always just rented fins. However, for our next trip, I will be purchasing fins. I've had several outbreaks of athlete's foot from the fins (not everytime, but enough) and I'm just tired of it. If I get my own, I'll take care of them and not have to worry about using the same ones that someone else has used.

Hi:

DH/I have our own snorkeling gear and has taken them on every cruise. I pack the fins toward the back of the suitcase so they are flush to the back panel and it's always worked. The mouth piece and mask it tucked away in between clothes and I never had a problem. We use a mesh bag to carry everything in.

We prefer using our own equipment since several times we had problems with renting (fins didn't fit properly, mask didn't sit right, etc.) and it was very annoying. Also we worry about picking up germs. Granted the equipment is soaked in a solution but who knows what is in that solution and how long they've been sitting in there. With everything going on these days.. we don't take any chances. Not insulting anyone in particular but we like to be on the safe side.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Could wear your own water shoes and fit rental fins over - would keep them from giving you the itch. :-)

Hmmm...that might be a great solution. I fortunately am the average American male size wise and never have a problem with the fit. I'll look into those. Thanks for the tip! You see, you learn something new every day on CC.

Regarding packing, since we pack tightly and don't want to ruin the rubber on the masks, we spend the space to pack the masks inside their original plastic box containers. We got nicer masks from a scuba shop and the square plastic boxes pack nicely even if they take up a bit of space. But the defogger spray bottle fits inside too and we don't have to worry about abusing the mask!

Archived