Saddle road between Hilo and Kamuela, is it open?

Dena

The Saddle Road does not really go to Kamuela....at least not to the town proper. But, yes, the Saddle Road is open although there are pockets of construction still going on. I am not sure if the rental companies still consider it a no-no to drive on the Saddle Road. I do know that many of the tow truck companies will not go up there, so that may be a restriction for the rental companies. I do see plenty of rental cars every time I drive over on it. The road is actually quite nice now that it has been totally resurfaced and straightened and widened with shoulders, etc. in many areas.

If you don't get any reply here try tripadvisor.com which is same site but for land vacations/destinations. You'll find a lot of locals are always there. answering questions.

Once there go to Hawaii board then Hilo and post question.

Thanks!

The Saddle Road does not really go to Kamuela....at least not to the town proper. But, yes, the Saddle Road is open although there are pockets of construction still going on. I am not sure if the rental companies still consider it a no-no to drive on the Saddle Road. I do know that many of the tow truck companies will not go up there, so that may be a restriction for the rental companies. I do see plenty of rental cars every time I drive over on it. The road is actually quite nice now that it has been totally resurfaced and straightened and widened with shoulders, etc. in many areas.

Thank you

And can we drive rental cars (Saddle Road)?

There were a couple of comments on Travel Advisor confirming Kopoho2's comments ... road is paved. The comments were posted in August and September of this year.

Kamuela is Hawaiian for Samuel and is the postoffice for Waimea. There is a Waimea on the Island of Kauai and Kamuela is used to avoid confusion as to which Waimea, Hawaii is meant if no Zip Code is used.

You can drive the Saddle Road and, if heading towards Kamuela, there is a sign for a road leading into the town of Kamuela but it is marked "Waimea"!

Archived