Going to a FOD party if you're not "family"?

Hi everyone,

I have two friends who are going on a cruise together later this year...he's gay, she's straight and married (they've been friends for years and her husband can't go). I told them that a lot of cruise ships have FOD parties which sound like fun to both of them, but my straight friend isn't sure what proper etiquitte is...would anyone care if she went to a FOD party with him? She's always open to meeting new people but also doesn't want to feel like she doesn't "belong". I said I'd ask you all here...I can't imagine people being anything but friendly at a FOD whether you're "family" or not, but I know you will all be honest.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Esther

IMHO, come one, come all. Friends of Dorothy meand just that -- friends. To be exclusionary because you aren't g/l/b/t is as bad as a group of heterosexuals excluding someone because they are g/l/b/t.

This is becoming a mantra on this board, but go and have a good time -- you will in most cases get back what you put out there -- if you're nice and personable you will be fine (this goes for all of us!).

I have two friends who are going on a cruise together later this year...he's gay, she's straight and married (they've been friends for years and her husband can't go). I told them that a lot of cruise ships have FOD parties which sound like fun to both of them, but my straight friend isn't sure what proper etiquitte is...would anyone care if she went to a FOD party with him? She's always open to meeting new people but also doesn't want to feel like she doesn't "belong". I said I'd ask you all here...I can't imagine people being anything but friendly at a FOD whether you're "family" or not, but I know you will all be honest.

She's more than welcome. We have met many straight people who come to the FOD parties. And what gay man can resist a fruit fly :)

When on board how do you know there is a FOD party Scheduled? :)

Check the daily newsletter and it will be printed there along with a location. Keep in mind that most cruise lines do not automatically schedule one. They usually only arrange for an FOD party if enough people ask. Have your friends notify the Guest Relations desk as soon as they arrive that they would like to attend and FOD party. Most know what that is. But if they look at you strange, just tell them to ask around, there are bound to be some gay crew members working at Guest Relations (in my experience, their usually are anyway) who will know what you're talking about.

And I've brought multiple straight friends to an FOD party and it's been nothing but fun.

Mike

Constellation: Trans-Atlantic 4/05

Diamond Princess: Mexican Riviera 11/04

Nordic Empress: Western Caribbean 3/04

Constellation: Southern Caribbean 11/03

Horizon: Western Caribbean 3/03

Two weeks ago we had two FOD get-togethers on The Golden and both times there were equal numbers of straights and gays. Our straight friends remarked that we could almost "out vote you at your own meeting" lol.

And what gay man can resist a fruit fly
Now that is funny! I'm one of those in tune metrosexual, but straight, guys and she is bi. We'd probably have a blast at a FOD party, probably a lot more than with the hetero folks, but did not want to tread into a scene that we were not welcome into. Next time, we may be "fruit flies" and buzz into a party and see the response we get.

Archived