t-shirts in the MDR (non-elegant) no-no or go-go?

chihomg

we did t-shirts EVERY night except cruise-elegant night.....we even wore cargo shorts on our last night...IN the MDR....OMG...can't believe us!

anything goes....nobody cares except the snots

Just another great example of the ME generation....It's all about me the He$$ with all those rules and regulations and dress codes......Dennis

Just another great example of the ME generation....It's all about me the He$$ with all those rules and regulations and dress codes......Dennis

The same thing could be said about you....It's all about "ME" and "my" interpretation of the dress code. Carnival's dress code is unclear when it comes to T-Shirts on Non-Elegant nights. The code does not specifically include them nor does it specifically exclude them (and they do have an exclude list).

IMHO that leaves it up to the interpretation of the reader. More "casual" readers are going to interpret it as T-Shirts as being allowed. More "dressier" readers are going to to interpret it as T-Shirts not being allowed. Both readers are following the "ME" generation concept by placing their own dress code "wants" at the center of their interpretation of the dress code. Unless Carnival becomes more specific with their dress code, neither reader is right or wrong.

Personally, my family does not wear T-shirts in the MDR (even though DS practically lives in them all the time). I do not, however, really care what anyone else is wearing as it has no effect on our table or the food we are eating. IMHO, it's not specifically on the excluded list so there shouldn't be any issue wearing them. I think Carnival staff feels the same way since I have seen many people wearing them on Casual nights.

I think the answer is yes and no!

There were plenty of T-Shirts in the MDR for Non-Elegant dinner each night on the Legend a few weeks ago. DH wore a T-Shirt for a couple of those and did not stick out like a sore thumb.

Carnival has made it clear that their recommended dress is just that - recommended - and t-shirts are allowed in the dining room on non-elegant night. However, in my experience, while I have seen people in t-shirts, they are in the minority. I do not judge as I am more often than not in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops even when I'm not on vacation. Just stating my personal observations.

I do, however, wear my bathrobe to breakfast ;)

The same thing could be said about you....It's all about "ME" and "my" interpretation of the dress code. Carnival's dress code is unclear when it comes to T-Shirts on Non-Elegant nights. The code does not specifically include them nor does it specifically exclude them (and they do have an exclude list).

IMHO that leaves it up to the interpretation of the reader. More "casual" readers are going to interpret it as T-Shirts as being allowed. More "dressier" readers are going to to interpret it as T-Shirts not being allowed. Both readers are following the "ME" generation concept by placing their own dress code "wants" at the center of their interpretation of the dress code. Unless Carnival becomes more specific with their dress code, neither reader is right or wrong.

Personally, my family does not wear T-shirts in the MDR (even though DS practically lives in them all the time). I do not, however, really care what anyone else is wearing as it has no effect on our table or the food we are eating. IMHO, it's not specifically on the excluded list so there shouldn't be any issue wearing them. I think Carnival staff feels the same way since I have seen many people wearing them on Casual nights.

LMAO @ this interpretation......:):)....Dennis

There are different types of T-shirts. I have logo t-shirts which I would not wear in the dining room but then I have cotton shirts which by branding are technically a t-shirt but something I do wear in the dining room.

Exactly. Personally, I think a young, fit guy looks 100x better (and more age appropriate) in a fitted v-neck and dark jeans than in a polo and khakis. That said, there are fitted polos out there that are made of t-shirt like material that could satisfy both the t-shirt wearers and the people that don't think t-shirts belong in the MDR. I saw several t-shirts in the MDR each night on my Legend cruise a few weeks ago.

I saw a heavily tattooed young man who was wearing a tank top in the MDR, not only that, it looked like the old "wife beaters". Thankfully he put on a button-down shirt for formal night, no tie, but I was grateful for the effort anyway. I don't care about t-shirts, I just don't want to see people's chest hair and tattoos while eating.

You dont want to see peoples tattooes while eating.You cant be serious, if you are you should stay home!! What a ridiculous comment

I think you'll be fine as long as you aren't acting like it's an American Appearal photo shoot, or the set of Jersey Shore. Just make sure it doesn't look like a ratty old undershirt. ;)

Actually they look better than the european appearal photo shoot which is god awful and tacky. Like most people I know pick the opposite of what europeans are wearing because they are actually ugly.;)

Totally agree

Me too, it's only for a few nights is it that big of a deal to make the effort to put on a shirt or to dress nice for elegant night. T shirts are for the pool and the buffet not the dining room. I never let it interfere with my trip or judge anyone, just my opinion.

A T-shirt is a T-shirt, doesn't matter if it cost $2 or $200. Jeans are jeans, doesn't matter if you spent $500 for a pair and they're bejeweled with diamonds, they're still jeans. Even tho Carnival does not rigidly enforce it's dress code, this shouldn't be interpreted as carte blanche to wear whatever someone wants in accordance with THEIR interpretation. Can you imagine what people would show up in if there was no dress code at all. We dress appropriately to show respect for the dining experience in the MDR...linen tablecloths, china and silverware, chandeliers, wait staff doting on you, three course+ meals.

Cruisers complain that Carnival is the Wal-mart of cruising but if everyone keeps ignoring the fact that the cruise experience is reflective of our attitudes it will never improve. I think Carnival offers enough dining options for different tastes. If you are uncomfortable wearing even a simple polo shirt to dinner in the MDR, wear whatever you want to the other dining venues. But no, people have that in your face, I don't give a s**t attitude and as long as they do, Carnival will always be stigmatized as the bargain basement cruiseline. How much effort does it take to put on a nice shirt in the main dining room? How much thought does it take to realize that the hat you are wearing to dinner is inappropriate?

Please, no hating, these are my opinions only. I am not a snob and it will not affect my dining experience whatever you wear to the MDR. If you hear a chuckle as you pass by, ignore it. If you see a look of disdain on anyone's face, pay no attention. After all, you paid for your cruise and you can wear whatever you want, can't you?

I personally wear polo with nice jeans with no problems. However I seen folks in flip flops, shorts, ragged t-shirts.

If you think the t-shirt is ok to wear at home, go for it. If you feel fine with it then wear it.

I don't go to the MDR to see what others are wearing myself. I go there to have a nice dinner and enjoy my family!

:pSo on my upcoming cruise I'm going to be with a friend on Formal night that will be wearing a cut off cowboy work shirt, some jeans, tennies and a Nebraska hat.

Of course this will be the night we wear our halloween get ups to the MDR and he will of course be channaling Larry the Cable Guy.;)

Cheers, Carole

Cigar Dude, I think most of the women would agree with me. My vote is when YOU come to the dining room you wear no shirt at all ;)

So we can admire your effort to fitness is the only reason :D

Cheers, Carole

LOL..Yes it is the good looks that affect that affect that affect the apparel..Sarah

But wear that tux once in awhile.:):D

:pSo on my upcoming cruise I'm going to be with a friend on Formal night that will be wearing a cut off cowboy work shirt, some jeans, tennies and a Nebraska hat.

Of course this will be the night we wear our halloween get ups to the MDR and he will of course be channaling Larry the Cable Guy.;)

Cheers, Carole

OK i'll bring the Montanan metrosexuals to even it out....Sarah

Archived