what diving company for st maartin

We highly highly recommend Jef and Lucianna of Ocean Explorers in St. Maarten. We have dove with them many times, beginning with our discover dives in 2002. Then did our open water referral dives and advanced training with them in subsequent years (we stay on the island for 2 weeks every year). They are very safe, and environmentally conscious divers, and all around great people!

I don't think the diving you will do in St. Maarten compares to other ports of call in the Caribbean; one reason my dive group and I will NOT be diving when the Scuba Cruise calls on St. Maarten. But I am guessing you know this already and have decided to get wet anyway, which is something I would do if I weren't leading a dive group.

There is a dive operation just walking distance outside of the port area; unfortunately, I can't remember their name. I took my dive group here one year, and they did a fine job. They took us to a dive site so we could see sharks. In the handful of times I have been diving in St. Maarten, we experienced wicked current and rough seas along with so-so visibility (average 45 feet). My divers and I are experienced enough to handle rougher conditions, but I get tired of the same thing each time, so we aren't going to dive in St. Maarten when we are there next Feb.

Good luck!!

Suzi

We dove with Octopus Diving last April. Actually we did our last two open water dives with them. We really liked them and had a great time. I don't think the dive sites were all that terrific, saw much more in St. Kitts. I would recommend them highly.

I only have two potential dive spots on the particular cruise I'm taking so I figure two dives are better than no dives. Beggers can't be choosers.:)

Agreed! You will have fun and maybe be luckier than us and see more sea life. The week before we were there a couple of dolphins came through and surprised the divers!

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I spent a week on St. Maartens and did a few dives with Blue Bubbles. www.bluebubblessxm.com The dive master was great (can't remember his name). We went to a variety of sites. There was a current but not too bad. The visibility was about 50 to 70 feet which was great considering at home if we get 25 feet we think it is great. I would definitely dive with them again.

Archived