Fishing in Cozumel

vacation rccl

I haven't, but if you are thinking of going fishing, you'll have a just as good a time for less $ if you make your own arrangements.

Here is a place to start:

http://www.wahootours.com/fish/index.php

http://www.cozumel-fishing.net/

http://www.cozumelfishing.com/flyfish.htm

These links are for your information and I'm not making an endorsement of these companies.

I like to see my fish underwater thru my camera.

You'll have a great time.

• 3 weeks later...

I found a local who charters out for fishing, snorkeling and diving.

He is charging us $350 USD for our own boat, up to 4 people, for six hour combination fishing/snorkeling trip. He is providing all the snorkel gear, bait and tackle, booze, soda, water and snacks. He also does diving.

I leave in 6 days and I will post how things went for us.

Many operators will allow their guest time to snorkel and fish if it's a private charter like the one you describe. Most fishing vessels don't have a marine park permission however and you most likely be snorkeling outside those protected reef areas.

Just inquire of the operator where he plans to take you snorkeling, inside or outside the protected marine park area. If you find a fishing charter that does have the permission, then you've got a pretty good deal fishing and snorkeling.

That's a pretty standard half-day price, so you're being treated fairly I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Cozumel last week and booked our own fishing trip through Wildcat Divers. Here is my review. It was excellent fishing as well as half the price the cruise ships charge. On Carnival they wanted $150 per person for a 4 hour tour. I was able to line up a 6 hour tour that included both fishing and snorkeling for 4 people for a total of $350. We were able to call the shots and the crew was awesome!!! We caught 4 black tip reef sharks and 3 Wahoos. It was about a 40 minutes cruise south of the cruise ships just off land. I would say we were less than a mile away from shore. After about 3.5 hours of fishing, they then took us to the Columbia reef within the national park and snorkeled above gorgous reefs. We were going to fish back towards the ships but we decided we wanted to go into town and do a little shopping. Our crew was kind enough to drop us off right by the ships. We had plenty of time to go to the downtown area and get back to the ship before we departed at 4pm. I would highly recommend wildcat divers. If you dont want crowds and personal service this is a must do trip. We did have to take a taxi to the marina where the boat was but it was within a mile away from Puerto maya Pier. If you interested contact Victor Casanova via email at wildcatcozumel@hotmail.com. By the way, I found Wildcat Divers through a tour book purchased at my local AAA club. Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Archived