Anyone live at or experts of Costa Maya?

Husky359

I already asked this in another thread, but was hoping to catch the attention of someone who would really know.

We would like to do horseback riding along the beach in Costa Maya, but would like to do it with a company that really takes care of their horses. Are there any companies like this? If there aren't, please let me know that, too, so I know to stop pursuing it.

Thanks!

OK, I'm not a horse person myself (wouldn't even call myself an animal friend) - but have close family members who are. And while there very well be more reputable stables, we passed by two in Cozumel and one in Costa Maya.....and I did not care for the condition of any of the animals or the areas they were housed in. Looked very under nourished and over exposed....

Besides, even in the winter, it is darn hot in Costa Maya, clopping down the beach with that much horse sweat - just isn't the romantic image you may have in mind.

My Texan 2 cents.

I saw a stable when we visited Costa Maya-- the horses were tied outside in the sun with no shade. No means of something to drink. and it was hot that day.

Friends of ours did a horse riding tour in Jamica. and the people were not friendly with their horses at all. One horse ws not cooperating with the rider so the tour operator punche dit in the face..said it was the only way to get it to cooperate. Nevr again= no where. their animal rights are nothing like ours. the vendor will have to come very highyl recommended and I have to know they take very good care of their animals.

The horses are not up to American quality or standards. (I grew up on a cattle ranch, so I know horses) The locals do not value an animal for itself; only for how many pesos it will help them earn to feed their families. Remember these people are poor and they can not spend precious funds on horse feed or vet care. The horses do look rough. If this should bother you, try snorkeling or diving. The reefs are pristine and fabulous.

• 4 weeks later...
I saw a stable when we visited Costa Maya-- the horses were tied outside in the sun with no shade. No means of something to drink. and it was hot that day.

Friends of ours did a horse riding tour in Jamica. and the people were not friendly with their horses at all. One horse ws not cooperating with the rider so the tour operator punche dit in the face..said it was the only way to get it to cooperate. Nevr again= no where. their animal rights are nothing like ours. the vendor will have to come very highyl recommended and I have to know they take very good care of their animals.

How horrible! There is no way I would ever hand over money to those people. Those poor horses. :(

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this post. Is there more then one horse farm here??

I ws speaking about the horses that I seen enroute to Majuahaul. These horses were outside in the sun tied to a tree stump with no shade whatsoever. There was no buckets of water nearby. It was 88 degrees and very hot. This was back in February. Hopefully they made some repairs.

We were there last week for 4 days (yeah on the Grandeur) saw 2 places and the horses were out in the sun without shade or water that I saw...I am a Humane Society Board member and was ready to jump out of the taxi and complain..however some of the characters down there are scary and my friends insisted that I stay put...please don't patronize these places..even the dogs I saw were skinny and underfed. McDuff110@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Scott,

all I can say is gracias al dios...los caballos son como niños a mí

made me sick to hear of any animal mistreated and I'm hoping it was just because they were a little overwhelmed with all the steps needed to provide services for us all.......maybe this is a real effort to move in the right direction

Archived