Exclusive pumper takes to the seas. Any other eper's ever attempt this? Any advice?

billjessmaddie

I exclusively pump for my son as he refuses to breastfeed. (He does not have any problems latching on; he just chooses not to.) Anyway, since I am exclusively pump and do not use formula, my husband is concerned if my pump breaks or if I suddenly stop producing enough milk because we are on vacation. He will be 9 months old when we cruise so I know that he will be drinking less milk by then. He is 6 months old right now and drinks about 25-30 ounces a day and doesn't really eat baby food. I offer it to him, I even make it myself, but he refuses it. Hopefully, by 9 months he will eat more. I would greatly appreciate advice from another eper or a breastfeeding mama who has pumped on a cruise. Should I bring formula just in case I have a problem? He hasn't had formula since he was a newborn when I was building my supply and so I don't know how he would respond to it.

I pumped with my oldest. Liked the product but not the packaging (lol). Did not cruise but did vacation and no problems. My second and third are/were also breastfed and no issues with vacations were they were little. Cruised when #2 was 18 months but she only nursed mornings, naptime and bedtime so no need to pump. I would suggest trying as much as you can to stay on a schedule to pump. Also bring a small manual hand pump. Takes longer but at least you have a backup and in my experience if you have a back up then you will not need it. Also at 9 months they will be eating solids so if for some reason you totally stopped producing he can drink water. If he went a day or two or even 7 he will not become malnourished. If you feel more comfortable bring a can of the powdered formula. If you need it it's there if not return it when you get home. I would not advise bring the liquid as it's a pain to travel with and once opened doesn't last as long. Also the powder is a thinner consistency than the ready to feed so it's more like breastmilk. Also not sure how much you pump in advance but ask your steward for an extra ice bucket or bring a small hard cooler.

We cruised when my son was 9 months old and still nursing, but I brought along the pump so he could have a bottle when we dropped him off in the nursery at night. The fridge in the cabin wasn't very cold, but the room steward did keep my milk on ice for me inside of it. If I EP'd I'd probably bring along a manual pump just in case in addition to the electric and plenty of spare parts (valves, diaphragms, etc.) but I see no reason to worry about your milk drying up any more than a momma that nursed! That's just silly. :)

Your body has adjusted to the pump, so if you stay on the same pumping schedule you should be fine. You could pump more frequently than usual for a week before your vacation to attmpt to increase your supply, but unless your child still refuses solids, you probably don't need to. I agree with taking a hand pump just in case. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around!

Be sure you drink enough water to keep up your supply. Some people get dehydrated on vacation and that's the last thing you'd need. Because of the problems you might have keeping the milk cold, I wouldn't pump too much ahead of when your child will drink it. Pumping takes too much work to have to throw the milk away because it didn't stay cold enough.

Rather than buy a can of formula that you probably won't be able to return, ask your health care provider for a sample can. Keep offering the solid foods. It can take a child ten times of trying something before they accept it. What ever happens, have a great family vacation!

Wow, what a great question and great advice. I EBF right now and DS will be 10 months when we cruise in Feb. I know I will most likely have to pump at times and I never thought about a manual pump as a back up. Awesome! Thanks for the question and the advice. My advice, as someone mentioned before, stay hydrated. That will help production for sure and also load up on production friendly foods when you can like quinoa, etc. Good luck to you and thanks for such a great question and good for you for EPing. I HATE pumping, but I guess, if it came down to it, I would also EP for all of the benefits. Amazing what we will do for our children...

Good advice get a sample of formula from ur ped. Just to ease ur mind but I'm sure if u just stay on schedule u should be fine!!

Your body has adjusted to the pump, so if you stay on the same pumping schedule you should be fine. You could pump more frequently than usual for a week before your vacation to attmpt to increase your supply, but unless your child still refuses solids, you probably don't need to. I agree with taking a hand pump just in case. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around!

Be sure you drink enough water to keep up your supply. Some people get dehydrated on vacation and that's the last thing you'd need. Because of the problems you might have keeping the milk cold, I wouldn't pump too much ahead of when your child will drink it. Pumping takes too much work to have to throw the milk away because it didn't stay cold enough.

Rather than buy a can of formula that you probably won't be able to return, ask your health care provider for a sample can. Keep offering the solid foods. It can take a child ten times of trying something before they accept it. What ever happens, have a great family vacation!

I would try to go to the powdered formula company and ask for a free sample. or try freflys.com they have lots of samples. that way its no waste if you dont use and you will still have if you need. if you are worried about him not liking the formula you can try mixing a small amount into his bottle and slowly increasing the amount to get him used to the taste.(make sure you mix it first with water) I always go to this site to get free shampoo samples so i have travel size i can take on excursions if they have a place to shower.

Just wanted to say good for you!! I know how much work it is - I pumped for DD #1 (she was tongue-tied and could never quite get the hang of it, and BF'd DD#2 with a lactation aid due to supply problems). She was weaned before her first cruise so don't have a lot of advice to offer, however I'd second what others said above about staying hydrated. There's a lot more sodium in the food than you probably use at home, and combined with the heat, you can dehydrate really quickly. Also, the fridges in most cabins are not proper fridges but you can probably request one. Last cruise (on Disney) DD was on medication that needed to go in the fridge and the room steward was able to bring us a small one... best to request it in advance though as they only have a limited number.

I have exclusively breastfed three children for at least a year, each. My last I BF for 2 1/2 years (go ahead and flame if you want, I am immune;)). I pumped with all three, but all three nursed and preferred it that way. I worked 4 days/week with all three, so I pumped a lot.

If I were you, I would try to continue on board the ship whatever you normally do at home. You should be able to carry on whatever milk you need for the trip on the plane and first hours on the ship.

I would contact the special services department of your cruise line and ask for a medical refrigerator to store your milk. The regular fridges do not get very cold at all. If this is not available, I would bring a small cooler (soft-sided if you need to pack it), and ask your cabin steward for extra ice twice a day.

Bring your bottles, but not too many. If LO will use the type that use liners, this will make it easier for clean-up. You can also pump directly into the liners. Take a small bottle of dish detergent to clean your bottles and a cloth to clean them and a bottle brush. You may also need a universal drain cover to stop up the drain on the sink. You can ask for extra hand-towels to dry everything. Also, bring a sharpie to label your milk by time and date.

Kids often develop at different rates. My kids were at their peak of breast milk consumption at 6 months. However, it was not too different at 9 months. LO will likely be eating some solids at that time, but the majority of calories still come from BM. Some babies at 9 months do not eat many solids at all. This is especially true of breastfed infants.

If you have never used formula, I would NOT start now. LO may develop a sensitivity or allergy. My kids would never touch the stuff, even in an emergency when no BM was to be had. Plus, you will need to continue to pump to keep up your supply.

Kudos to you for giving your child this precious gift! So many would have thrown in the towel. It takes a tremendous effort and dedication to exclusively pump. My hat is off to you! Have a great cruise!

Just a question for the OP.....what pump do you use? I would be sure to take a manual one too, just in case. I always liked the Avent. My Medela Pump in Style had a battery pack and car plug that I could use if needed. You may also need an extension cord for your cabin.

Be prepared to have your pump examined at the airport security. BTW, carry it on, too much risk of it being lost. I have traveled with a pump several times. The last couple of times, they have checked it for explosives. :eek:

i was on vacation while breastfeeding, and i left a piece to my pump behind at home. :mad: Thankfully i had my small manual pump in the case as well. Boy was i glad I did!

As far as the formula goes, your baby may not take any formula if use to breast milk. I would suggest taking some powdered formula and maybe even a couple of different ones just in case. like someone else mentioned, your pediatrician should be able to provide you with samples.

When we were in Vegas and I had adult beverages, i opted to give formula for a couple of days. It took a couple of tries to find one he would drink. it was a carnation brand. the dr. said he would probably like it best because it was sweeter tasting than the others. lol. can't say i blame him.

happy travels!

I was an exclusive pumper with both my kids. Bring lots of batteries and soap to wash out the pump parts. We flew a lot during those times and never ever had a problem. We would bring a good size cooler with frozen milk on to the plane...enough to last a day or two in case something went wrong and just placed freshly pumped milk into the cooler as we went along.

Once on the ship, we either used the fridge in the room, or if there wasn't enough space we talked to the folks at the purser's desk about our problem. They stored any breastmilk that we needed them to in their big fridge at the desk.

I was an exclusive pumper with both my kids. Bring lots of batteries and soap to wash out the pump parts. We flew a lot during those times and never ever had a problem. We would bring a good size cooler with frozen milk on to the plane...enough to last a day or two in case something went wrong and just placed freshly pumped milk into the cooler as we went along.

Once on the ship, we either used the fridge in the room, or if there wasn't enough space we talked to the folks at the purser's desk about our problem. They stored any breastmilk that we needed them to in their big fridge at the desk.

I don't know how long ago your experience was, but I am pretty sure that due to infectious disease and other liability factors, they will no longer store your milk for you. I read about it on these family boards or on a parenting board; I can't remember. I think that getting a medical fridge is the best bet. The cabin refrigerators do not get cold enough to store milk. If that can't be done, then a cooler with plenty of ice will do nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how long ago your experience was, but I am pretty sure that due to infectious disease and other liability factors, they will no longer store your milk for you. I read about it on these family boards or on a parenting board; I can't remember. I think that getting a medical fridge is the best bet. The cabin refrigerators do not get cold enough to store milk. If that can't be done, then a cooler with plenty of ice will do nicely.

It was in the last two years. We had read about the possibility of them not doing it before we went too, but they just laughed. They said absolutely no issue, and that they store all sorts of weird and wonderful things in that fridge.

Just a question for the OP.....what pump do you use? I would be sure to take a manual one too, just in case. I always liked the Avent. My Medela Pump in Style had a battery pack and car plug that I could use if needed. You may also need an extension cord for your cabin.

Be prepared to have your pump examined at the airport security. BTW, carry it on, too much risk of it being lost. I have traveled with a pump several times. The last couple of times, they have checked it for explosives. :eek:

I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I took everyone's advice and bought a single portable electric breast pump for just in case. I can't do manual as I have "mommy thumb" aka tendinitis. My sister in law had the same thing and said she couldn't use the manual because it hurt her wrists so bad.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. :)

I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I took everyone's advice and bought a single portable electric breast pump for just in case. I can't do manual as I have "mommy thumb" aka tendinitis. My sister in law had the same thing and said she couldn't use the manual because it hurt her wrists so bad.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciate it. :)

Good luck!

Please come back and let us know how it went.

Archived