Veendam - feb 20th rio to chili

traveling mama

Does anyone have any suggestions for a precruise hotel? It will be Carnivale time in Rio and I want to come into town a couple of days early as I have long flights to get there. But yikes......the rates!!!!

Any ideas of a nice hotel where I can just sit and sleep and wait to board the boat?

Thanks!

During the week of carnaval almost all hotels sell only packages for 4 or 5 nights at rates which are extremely high. Start looking now in the non-tourist zones like Catete, Gloria and Laranjeiros for a business hotel that might not sell packages and keep its rates under US$ 200/night. You might want to contact a local tour guide, arrange a tour, and have them also seek out a place for the nights you will be in town. It will be hard to do it on your own. Temp apts will also be selling packages. At carnaval accommodations are always hard to come by and are expensive.

p.s. why on earth would you want to just sit around and sleep during the days of carnaval - there is a lot to see and do.

There is a lot I would like to do. But w/ the hotel rates being so high it will limit me to how much sight seeing I will be able to do. I still have the cruise and excursions and then also am doing a trip to Easter Island at the end of the trip. There is only so much $$ in my account...drat!

The idea of different neighborhoods is a good one. I'll look into that. Thanks!!!

Archived