Can you help???.......this is keeping me awake at nights!!!!

lynnquenby

I have posted this on our roll call but only one response to date referring me to P&O's 'guidelines' which still seem a little vague to me so really hoping someone can provide me with a 'polite' answer ??

Ok......so this may seem a strange question but you all seem like a friendly bunch but this is something I'm starting to slightly worry about and it is aimed at those of you who have travelled on Ventura before and hopefully been to Caribbean. I really hope someone can help :)

We have done OV and NCL, both of which are quite 'casual' cruise ships. On the Caribbean cruises we've done in the past my DH has worn smart shirt, cropped trousers and mules, as well as long linen trousers on the odd occasion, to dinner. What is deemed 'acceptable' attire for the main dining room on Ventura? Do trousers have to be long? What about shoes - what do you blokes wear?? My DH definitely errs on the side of smart rather than casual, but as the weather will be hot in caribbean if I tell him it's long trousers and smart shoes each night I'm not sure he'll be too impressed.

We are really looking forward to the formal nights and that side of it is not worrying me, it's the 'smart casual' thing - and making sure that I've interpreted it correctly!!

Please can someone put my mind at rest and let me know.......pictures would be even better :o

I have to confess I have never seen a man wearing cropped trousers and/or mules at dinner.

Most men will wear chino type trousers with a short sleeve shirt or polo shirt and lightweight shoes. Some will wear smart jeans with a shirt and shoes.

I hope that helps.

I'm afraid he's not going to be too impressed! Even on the most casual P&O ship to get into the MDR in the evening it's long trousers with shoes. (Although a kilt is perfectly accepable, with long sockets :D)

I suppose you could always go to the buffet of an evening, or get him to wear a dress (:D:D)

SORRY. :) I couldn't resist

Thanks Both........that was what I feared!! Was sort of hoping the Caribbean would be a little less 'restrictive'!

Oh well.........will have to decide when to break the news.......or buy him a dress :rolleyes:....at least I might sleep now!

Just to ease your thoughts, twice been on the Ventura to the Caribbean. Formal nights are adhered to, I would say 90% of gents in the full attire of tux and smart shoes, the odd one say had a business suite. The small minority in casual.

I don’t think linin pants would gain access to the MDR. On non-formal nights again I wore smart casual shirts and smart jeans again this is across the majority of folks on board. The odd one dressed as if they were at a football match and did stand out.

I think when 90% of the ship makes an effort the whole evening is a joy. I for one dress smart every day for my job but when on the cruise it kind of feels different.

Hi Lynn

I haven't seen any men wearing cropped trousers to the MDR on P&O, but long linen trousers are perfectly acceptable on smart casual evenings. My husband wears linen trousers on our cruises with sandal-type shoes for smart casual evenings and hasn't been refused entry to the MDR yet!

Debbie:)

See this kind of question confuses me because its very much open to interpretation as to what people deem to smart, smart casual (whatever the hang that is) and then just down right casual...

Even reading some peopl's opinions there, I personally think jeans are extremely casual, no matter how you try to dress them up - Yet there its being said 'smart casual'.

To me if P and O are that strict then n amount of 'smart' jeans would get into the MDR...

Dont get me wrong all the dressing is great but dont worry, a pair of trousers is suffice, although not sure what the difference is between wearing linen trousers and wearing jeans...Confused of Scotland:D

how does the dress code apply for children (12 yr old boy) will he be ok to wear cropped trousers with a short sleeved shirt on an evening? we have chosen freedom dining... we also have been on ov and thomson which we found both quite casual... although myself and my friend are really looking forward to getting dressed on an evening we would like to make sure the men are in the right attire... so you would all say NO CROPPED trousers for the men..... ooooh wait till i tell the other half!!!

Just to ease your thoughts, twice been on the Ventura to the Caribbean. Formal nights are adhered to, I would say 90% of gents in the full attire of tux and smart shoes, the odd one say had a business suite. The small minority in casual.

I don’t think linin pants would gain access to the MDR. On non-formal nights again I wore smart casual shirts and smart jeans again this is across the majority of folks on board. The odd one dressed as if they were at a football match and did stand out.

I think when 90% of the ship makes an effort the whole evening is a joy. I for one dress smart every day for my job but when on the cruise it kind of feels different.

Well there's no chance of him dressing in 'football' attire...he can't stand it! He's really OK with the Tux and formal stuff, and suprisingly having just broken the news he seems OK with the 'long trousers' - I'm sure it'll all be fine and we'll have a fab time whatever!

Hi Lynn

I haven't seen any men wearing cropped trousers to the MDR on P&O, but long linen trousers are perfectly acceptable on smart casual evenings. My husband wears linen trousers on our cruises with sandal-type shoes for smart casual evenings and hasn't been refused entry to the MDR yet!

Thanks Debbie, good to hear that long linens don't appear to be completely ruled out ;)

See this kind of question confuses me because its very much open to interpretation as to what people deem to smart, smart casual (whatever the hang that is) and then just down right casual...

Even reading some peopl's opinions there, I personally think jeans are extremely casual, no matter how you try to dress them up - Yet there its being said 'smart casual'.

To me if P and O are that strict then n amount of 'smart' jeans would get into the MDR...

Dont get me wrong all the dressing is great but dont worry, a pair of trousers is suffice, although not sure what the difference is between wearing linen trousers and wearing jeans...Confused of Scotland:D

and this is exactly why I am confused?!?! in my eyes, like you say, it's far too open to interpretation! but thanks for your comments.

how does the dress code apply for children (12 yr old boy) will he be ok to wear cropped trousers with a short sleeved shirt on an evening? we have chosen freedom dining... we also have been on ov and thomson which we found both quite casual... although myself and my friend are really looking forward to getting dressed on an evening we would like to make sure the men are in the right attire... so you would all say NO CROPPED trousers for the men..... ooooh wait till i tell the other half!!!

The dress code doesn't apply to children so they can dress smart casual, but P&O ask that they don't wear jeans on Formal Evenings.

The P&O website gives further details of the dress codes at the web link below:

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/dress_code

I've been on both Oceana and Ventura - I didn't see anyone wearing jeans on Ventura, but I did see someone in jeans being politely but firmly refused entry on Oceana, which confirms post #11. No-one wore shorts, cropped trousers, or T-shirts. The P&O dress code given in the link is pretty clear, and on the cruises I've been on, people did adhere to it. In fact, I would say that generally, people tended to err on the smarter side, and that was particularly noticeable outside the restaurant - there were the smart MDR people, and then the shorts & T-shirts buffet people. So there's always the buffet if your OH really can't be bothered to change, but my guess is that once he's tried the food in the MDR, he'll want to continue!

It always bemuses me that some people post about it being too warm for long trousers, more formal trousers etc then go on about wearing jeans!

Surely jeans are far too warm for hotter climes!

If you are flying, jeans take up a lot of suitcase space and weight.

thank you for the link very helpful....wonder if you can help with another question.... when people are talking about the mdr.... we have chosen feedom dining so will we be eating in the mdr or is that just for set dining? thanks again..

thank you for the link very helpful....wonder if you can help with another question.... when people are talking about the mdr.... we have chosen feedom dining so will we be eating in the mdr or is that just for set dining? thanks again..

Hi Bebie

There's a MDR for each dining type, actually on Azura and Ventura there are 2 MDRs for Club (fixed) Dining and one for Freedom Dining. The menus are the same regardless of whether you're on Freedom or Club.

I hope this helps.

thank you Debbie, yes it helps, our 1st time on p&o so trying to get as much info as possible before we go... this site is so helpful....off to get the hubby a dinner suit after reading posts on here, we have done ov and thomson in the past so quite looking forward to the change, and cannot wait to see him all dressed up... getting rather excited... thanks again..... Debbie(same name).

Hiya

Been reading these threads re what men should/shouldn't wear for dinner. We are going on Azura to Caribbean in January. I have been told and have read on more than one occasion that men will not be allowed in the MDR for dinner without a jacket!!!! Now I am reading that this is not true! :confused:

Please could someone give me the right answer? OH has now been out and bought a jacket which he most probably will not wear. He doesn't mind dressing up for formal nights (loves it actually as most men do) but there does seem to be conflicting advice for smart casual/semi formal attire (even in the P&O brochure!)

We have been on Celebrity and RCI before and smart casual meant just that - chinos and open necked shirt!!

HELP! :confused::confused::confused:

Hiya

Been reading these threads re what men should/shouldn't wear for dinner. We are going on Azura to Caribbean in January. I have been told and have read on more than one occasion that men will not be allowed in the MDR for dinner without a jacket!!!! Now I am reading that this is not true! :confused:

Please could someone give me the right answer? OH has now been out and bought a jacket which he most probably will not wear. He doesn't mind dressing up for formal nights (loves it actually as most men do) but there does seem to be conflicting advice for smart casual/semi formal attire (even in the P&O brochure!)

We have been on Celebrity and RCI before and smart casual meant just that - chinos and open necked shirt!!

HELP! :confused::confused::confused:

No jacket is required for smart/casual, but a jacket is required for semi-formal, which is now called smart - I think!

Have a great time.

No jacket is required for smart/casual, but a jacket is required for semi-formal, which is now called smart - I think!

Have a great time.

Check your PandO cruise details, but I believe (stand to be corrected) on a Carribean cruise that there are 4 formal and 10 casual, So you can take a suit/tux etc for the formal but you will not need a jacket for the other 10 nights

Check your PandO cruise details, but I believe (stand to be corrected) on a Carribean cruise that there are 4 formal and 10 casual, So you can take a suit/tux etc for the formal but you will not need a jacket for the other 10 nights

What I said was a jacket is required for semi-formal evenings. If there's no semi-formal, then no jacket is required.

However, Azura had semi-formal evenings in the Caribbean this year - and jackets were required!

Archived