Western Mediterranean in Aug. vs. Oct.

Mr. Mazel

We are interested in the western Med. cruise on the Riviera departing Rome on Aug. 23, 2012 (PH 3 suite) versus the Nautica departing Rome on Oct. 16, 2012 (PH 3 suite). The Riviera has a larger state room and better amenities but we are concerned with the climate in August; we are planning to stay in Rome for 5 days prior to the cruise & Barcelona for two or 3 days after the cruise. We have not sailed on the Oceania previously. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

We are interested in the western Med. cruise on the Riviera departing Rome on Aug. 23, 2012 (PH 3 suite) versus the Nautica departing Rome on Oct. 16, 2012 (PH 3 suite). The Riviera has a larger state room and better amenities but we are concerned with the climate in August; we are planning to stay in Rome for 5 days prior to the cruise & Barcelona for two or 3 days after the cruise. We have not sailed on the Oceania previously. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Rome will most likely be sweltering in August, but the seas will probably be rougher in October.

If you sail the Med as late in the season as October, the tender ports can be iffy.

On the other hand, if you can handle heat and humidity, it will be very easy to get around a nearly deserted Rome in August.

Note: Be sure to verify Summer hours for anything that you just HAVE to see, before making your decision. Some sites close completely.

Enjoy planning your trip!

August is Vacation Month in Italy, so you never know how you will be received. And Jim and Stan are right. NEVER will I visit Italy in August again - too hot and humid for this mountain dweller. October/November can be a little rainy, but in our last 14 day Med cruise in November, we had one day of rain (admittedly it was delivered in buckets!), but day temperatures are much more temperate, and all the summer tourists are gone.

We spent four days in Rome at the end of August this year, following the completion of our cruise. I can attest to the fact that it was unbearably hot in the city during that time -- plus there were voracious mosquitoes. As this was our first visit to Rome, I cannot compare the crowd levels to any other time of the year, but found certain areas to still be overly busy. If I were to return, I wouldn't do so in August.

Archived