Does anyone have any pictures of Nelson's Dockyard ?

oreo4433

I do not have pictures but I just visited last Wednesday. I was very disappointed because I expected something completely different. Hopefully, my experience will help you decide if you want to try the Dockyard.

First, I'd like to start by saying that it was a very interesting place, lovely view, and beautiful water.

Unfortunately, a little bit of misinformation turned my visit into a huge regret. We were docked on the complete opposite side of the island (St. John's). I found a driver who charged $20 each, roundtrip, for both myself and my husband (so $40 total for the taxi). The price was this low because another couple chared the taxi. He was nice enough to include a longer tour of the island after Nelson's, which was nice.

Definitely visit the museum website, it may show pictures. I thought that Nelson's was one single large building/museum, and admission was $3 each. Well, what I missed or what people failed to mention is that Nelson's Dockyard is actually a park (I"m guessing very roughly an acre or two?) of different, unconnected buildings. It is $7 each just to get into the park, and the museum is $3 each on top of that...but the museum was CLOSED for renovation, as well as every single other building. I could not understand the map at all, and explanations of the significance of the buildings/dockyard were few and far between (one building had a little plaque in front of it explaining what it was). We just missed a group tour of the dockyard that was leaving as we purchased tickets, and weren't sure if we should run to catch up or wait for the next. Our cab driver was waiting for us, along with the other couple who didn't want to pay $7 each to walk around buildings you couldn't get into, so we felt rushed. We stayed only 15 min? Also, the ticket lady told us our driver would take us around the dockyard afterwards and show us sights or other historical areas? He didn't do that, and we didn't bother asking him or trying to get clarification to what she meant.

I am a history buff (I have two history degrees) as is my husband. However, this is very different from American or European historical sites.

I would just warn you to verify that the museum is open and all renovations are complete. I think it would have been a lovely experience if we'd have known what to expect, and if the buildings were open. $54 is a lot of money for newlyweds, and we felt misinformed and deeply let down.

Archived