Back from Jewel 8/24-10/1 Canada/NE

Zeta3

Travelled with my 8 yr old daughter, we enjoyed ourselves but overall I would rate the cruise a C+. It wasn't the worst cruise we have been on but certainly not the best or even top 5.

I'll add some more thoughts when we get home but any questions ask away and I'll answer what I can.

Travelled with my 8 yr old daughter, we enjoyed ourselves but overall I would rate the cruise a C+. It wasn't the worst cruise we have been on but certainly not the best or even top 5.

I'll add some more thoughts when we get home but any questions ask away and I'll answer what I can.

What was the problem with the cruise? Destination?, food?, ship?,

We enjoyed the food for the most part some of the buffet timing should probably be adjusted to better suit this itinerary but no big deal.

The service was average at best. The workers we encountered for the most part did not seem to want to be there. I almost felt like I was interrupting their vacation by being on board. Cabin steward was hit or miss, not a whole lot of actual cleaning being done as evident by the thick layer of dust on bathroom shelves, desk, etc. and sometimes towels were replaced and sometimes not. We went to the Best of All Lunch and I had asked ahead of making reservations and again at the check in desk if it was ok for my daughter to order from the children's menu, "Yes, of course, no problem" we go to order and the waitress tried to change her mind twice then rollled her eyes and talked about how now she would have to send her assistant "All the way..." to the dining room now. Little things like that just made interactions unpleasant. There was one stand-out, Sisinio, a waiter in Tango's/Blue Lagoon is fantastic! He was the most enjoyable person we met on board.

The passengers were another issue. Not just pushy and rude but down right ignorant. At one point there were 2 older men arguing over a tray of cheese in the lounge before a Nickelodeon Character Meet & Greet. Insulting each other, each other's wives and dropping F-Bombs in front of the kids waiting for the Nick show. Not only were they classless but it was not addressed by the NCL personnel in the area at all.

Maybe that caused some of the crew issues, who knows.

We did enjoy the ship and the itinerary. Went on some good tours, saw some beautiful countryside. The entertainment we saw was good, loved Fire & Ice.

Before I left I saw lots of questions about the Pizza 24/7 service so I took some pictures. The delivery charge was $5, it was fast, the pizza was hot and large, we liked it. I'd say taste wise it was probably closest to the new Domino's style. We liked it.

ca330ef2.jpg.e4085de560a2428a23239308c4608dc1.jpg

77a8fc7d.jpg.2f528483930b3d266b9a49d69b2a2763.jpg

We loved our room steward, he was the best we have ever had! His name is Marlon. He was always smiling and greeted us by our names several times everyday. Our room was always clean and we even got a hanging monkey towel animal. We are planning to write NCL and him. Sorry you didn't get him.

I also have all the dailies as well as the 6-9 Kids Crew schedule. They had all the kids together so the schedule was the same for everybody.

Other misc. things I noted:

Water Package: If you purchased large bottles of water in lots (I think it was 4, 8, 12 or 24) you would receive a discount with the percentage off being higher the more bottles you purchased. This was available wherever they were selling the unlimited soda card.

The Best of All Lunch was held twice that I noticed. We also had a Taste of India lunch (or maybe dinner I can check the daily if anybody is interested) as well as the Big Band Brunch.

The stuff the bag laundry special was offered twice, Wed morning and Thu evening for $24.95. We used it and our laundry came back great, left it Wed morning got it back Wed night.

One thing I had not seen before was they had special spa services for kids including Manicures, pedicures, Mom & me or Dad & me massages, etc.

We loved our room steward, he was the best we have ever had! His name is Marlon. He was always smiling and greeted us by our names several times everyday. Our room was always clean and we even got a hanging monkey towel animal. We are planning to write NCL and him. Sorry you didn't get him.

We also had Marlon Castro on Deck 10 aft and he was absolutely the best steward we have ever had. I don't know that NCL knows what a 5 star employee he is, or I'm sure he would be up taking care of those in the penthouses, or villas.

On the first day he introduced himself to each of us, and asked if there was anything he could get us after we checked out our cabin. I mentioned my husband liked having ice handy and not once during the week did we have to ask for ice. We saw him numerous times throughout each day of the cruise, busy, but always able to respond to a request for something. He could be seen and heard cheerfully greeting passengers by name and asking how the enjoyed the evening before, or wishing them a good day each morning.

He was always smiling and positive.

He kept our cabin clean, and even when told him to skip the morning routine in our cabin because my husband had slept really late, he smiled okay, but when we returned he had the room cleaned and straightened for us.

He'd suddenly appear see you coming down the hall, and was there to open the cabin door. He went about his work with great pride and joy, and was certainly a pleasure to have as our steward. I think he should be training others!!

I think the next time we are on NCL our booking will be based on where Marlon is assigned!l If the villas or courtyards, I'll be out of luck!

Archived