Livorno to Rapallo/Portofino, do we have time?

Marika

My mom (76) and I are sailing on the EPIC in May 2012. We have been Florence & Pisa a few times and want to go somewhere different and I was hoping we could go to Portofino and Santa Margherita. My question is, Do you think we'll have enough time to go from Livorno to Rapallo and back with enough time to see Portofino & Santa Margherita? The ship is in Livorno from 7a.m. to 7p.m. I believe we would have to take the train from Livorno to Rapallo. Anyone done this before?

I really don't think you can do this. By the way, the closest stop is Santa Margherita Ligure, one past Rapallo.

There may be more trains in the May than in October, but going by the current schedule the first train from Livorno doesn't leave until 8:43 and arrives at 11:02, with a change at Chiavar.

Five hours of trains, especially those with less than ideal times, is simply too much for a port day in my opinion.

Although I absolutely LOVED Portofino, perhaps visiting Lucca and perhaps doing a wine tasting might fit better with your port times. Lucca is very walkable and has some lovely shops. I really enjoyed out time there too.

euro cruiser, thanks for replying to my post. I'll check the schedule again when I'm closer to my dates. I see that they do have a direct train to Santa Margherita Ligure but not at the right time, maybe they'll add some more as summer approaches.

Aohkay, thanks too for responding. I too LOVE Portofino and that’s why I so desperately want to get back there but I’ve never been to Lucca so that would be a great alternative.

Archived