Fly into Liberia, Stay in Nosara, Cruise from Caldera...Possible, Practical?

Lark1018

We are considering a cruise through the Panama Canal sailing from Caldera at the end of January. We would like to fly into Liberia two days before the cruise and stay in Nosara/Tamarindo for two nights before heading to the ship in Caldera. We would appreciate some input from someone familiar with the area as to whether this will work or will just be a mess. It would be helpful to know if there is a bridge or just a ferry between Nicoya Penninsula and Putaranes? Thanks for your help.

I always fly in and out of Liberia. I much prefer it over San Jose and it's even better now with the new terminal.

There is a bridge across the river at the very northern end of the bay but if you want to go directly over to Puntarenas it is by ferry. If you just stayed up near Tamarindo or the beaches further north I would just drive back to Liberia and take the Pan American south. It's a pretty easy and idiot proof drive easily putting you down in Puntarenas or Caldera by lunch time.

If you go down to Nosara the best route is really up to you. You could head south and then go north at Samara and take the bridge across the river at the northern part of the bay and then over to the Pan American, or head down the peninsula to catch the ferry. Make sure you check the ferry schedule since it may only run every 3 or 4 hours. Are you experienced at driving in the back areas of Costa Rica or other Central/South American countries? While safe this would be a more "advanced" drive. I find the easiest way sometimes is to just stop and ask someone. Even if your Spanish is poor simply smiling and saying the town name where you want to go will at least get you pointed in the right direction. If taking a GPS the base maps in your GPS are mostly useless. Even if you buy the Central American maps from Garmin many of these roads do not appear. There is a fellow out of San Jose that has reliable Garmin GPS map data for CR that I would pick over Garmin's maps. Depending on when your ship leaves and your comfort level driving I would consider heading down the day before and get a hotel in Puntarenas or if driving the same day at least get an earlyish start.

Thanks so much for the information. Just the kind of practical advice I was looking for. It sounds like the thing to do would be to stay north so I will explore hotels in that area. I don't think we would drive ourselves but rather get a shuttle.

Rental cars in Costa Rica can be very expensive and I can not imagine what they would charge for a one way rental. You could probably hire a private driver for your entire stay for the same price.

If you want to stock up on supplies for your cruise there are several Maxi Bodega's (owned by WalMart) along your drive down to Puntarenas/Caldera. There's one in Liberia, Cañas just off the Pan American and one in Puntarenas.

Very good advice by Pilotdane, there is even another route going through Amistad bridge so you don't really need to go all the way to Liberia if you stay in Nosara or Samara (highly recommended, check hotel Treehouse). You can go via Nicoya, bridge, Even coming from Tamarindo or cAnchal you can take this route and save at least 40 minutes, going with a driver is always a good things to enjoy the sights on the way.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27498472&highlight=transportation+caldera#post27498472

How long would you or Pilot Dane estimate it would take to go up and around through the bridge to caldera vs. taking the ferry. Also, do either of you have a car service that you recommend. My husband is a surfer who has very graciously agreed to cruise with me so I am trying to work in a day or two at his favorite spot. I appreciate the input.

From Nosara to Puntarenas through bridge it could take 2:30 hours in very nice roads, if ferry you need to consider just the ferry takes 1:30 hours plus the time doing line at the dock, easily 1 hour to 3 hours in peak season, and then from Nosara to Naranjo or Paquera (ferry's ports), you have to deal with bad roads for over an hour. The ferry is a choice for those visiting Montezuma, Tambor or Santa Teresa beaches.

Lark1018, you did not say where you would be leaving from but unless you are pretty far down on the peninsula going over the bridge will usually be quicker as sbaum323 mentioned. If you are not renting a car let your driver worry about the route unless there is something in particular you want to see along the way. I would tell the car service when you want to be in Caldera and let them suggest a time to pick you up.

I am following that advice. We got a great flight into Liberia and a great hotel in Nosara. I am now working on finding a driver for both legs. Hopefully that will work out as well and we will be all set for a wonderful surf/cruise vacation. Now if only we could work in a volcano visit! Thanks for the insight.

Getting over to Arenal is neat even if just to see a different region of CR. Unfortunately there is no quick & easy way to just pop over on your drive down to Puntarenas/Caldera. The volcano has been mostly quiet for a while though it occasionally puts out some good puffs of steam. It is a memorable sight straight out of the movies to see monkeys in the trees and a volcano belching in the background. And it is rather neat to see the northwest end of the lake with it's row upon row of large wind turbines.

The weather up around Arenal is totally different than Liberia or Nosara. It always seems hot and sweaty in Liberia and the lowlands. A few minutes off the Pam American at Canas the road starts climbing the mountains and the AC gets turned off and the windows rolled down and I never use AC again until back down and heading to the airport.

Does your husband windsurf? If so the northwest end of lake Arenal is well known for it's windsurfing and in late January the wind should be howling. You can use a much smaller sail than most places in the US. It's quite enjoyable to handle such a small maneuverable sail though the air & water temp is not what you would so a wetsuit is mandatory for me.

I forgot to mention the link I'm sharing is for information about a reliable drivers company reviewed by other cruise fans on this site and trip advisor as a good choice to get to/from caldera.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=27498472&highlight=transportation+caldera#post27498472

Very nice idea about visiting Arenal, from Nosara is quite far, maybe 4 hours each way, from Liberia is 3 hours away, maybe stay the first night in Arenal and then head to Nosara makes more sense, less driving.

Cheers.

Archived