luggage in flight

pwillmo

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but oh well...

I need some advice, we have never flown and cruised before, so I am

wondering what to do with my hanging closthes... do you carry them on the plane or do you check them with your other luggage... any help would be appreciated...

paula

Get a decent folding garment bag. You'll want something substantial, one that folds over and looks like a regular suitcase when folded, and then check it.

Remember to never put anything of any value, or anything you can't live without, in your checked baggage. No medication, documents, cameras, electronics, etc... And fly in to where your cruise is leaving at least a day early just in case your flights are delayed, connections are missed, or your baggage is delayed.

Or if you don't want to get a garment bag, a regular suitcase will work just fine. All that you'll need to do is fold the clothes a certain way so that they won't get wrinkled. There's a ton of websites out there about how to pack, so just do a google search for "packing tips."

My wife & I have done this successfully with her dresses in my suitcase, all it requires is some folding & draping along the seams with the aid of some tissue paper or dry cleaner bags.

• 4 weeks later...

in first class they will hang the bag for you so everything stays fairly nice and neat------dont know if they will extend that courtesy to coach--i check mine either way- putting a dry cleaning plastic bag over the items will also help

• 3 weeks later...

Do they consider the garment bag a carry on item? We have a carry on each and we have a small garment bag, will they allow us to also bring on the garment bag? We are on American?

• 3 weeks later...

All airlines are suppose tol enforce a 1 carryone and 1 personal item for all passengers, personal item being a purse, laptop, etc. As others have said, better to check a hanging bag. The last plane I know with closets for hanging bags was the L1011 which no major US airlines uses anymore, the airlines have found that seats pay better than closets. See: http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/carryOnAllowance.jhtml?anchorEvent=false

Archived