Snorkeling

CBouquet

We spent a week in Cayman this summer and did just about all the snorkel spots. Sunset House was too deep for snorkelers, unless you stayed along the rocky shore, but very good for divers, and is few miles from the tender area (need to take a taxi). It does have a great outdoor patio for lunch. Also went to Cemetary Beach, this site out near the turtle farm (don't know the name), Smith's Cove (great swimming) and Eden Rock.

The best snorkeling that we found, as others have mentioned, was at Eden Rock. We went on a day when no ships were in port, so we had the whole reef to ourselves and it was awesome! We saw lots of Tarpon (when you are getting in, by the shore), all types of reef fish, stingrays and best of all a turtle..

kdooley - I'm really interested in going to cemetary beach. We'll be there this Dec. and we plan on walking up to the bus station and taking the bus there. Can you expand more about cemetary beach. Is is worth it? Some of the others in our group are heading up to Hell (I'm not interested in that). Is it easy to get there by bus? Thanks for any info you can provide.

We want to be able to get off the ship and snorkel with our own gear. We are sailing on Island Princess and will be in Grand Cayman on Jan. 6. We are tendering. There are 5 other ships in Grand Cayman that day. Does anyone know if we will be able to go snorkeling easily from the drop off of the tender?

We want to be able to get off the ship and snorkel with our own gear. We are sailing on Island Princess and will be in Grand Cayman on Jan. 6. We are tendering. There are 5 other ships in Grand Cayman that day. Does anyone know if we will be able to go snorkeling easily from the drop off of the tender?

See post #2:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30873028&postcount=2

I saw the post... my concern is that different ships tender at different areas. The last time I was in Grand Cayman was in Jan. and I didn't recognize where we were at all (that was RCCL). It's like we tendered on the other side of the island. Do some cruise ships tender in different areas on Grand Cayman?

the normal anchorage for Grand Cayman is just west of Georgetown

when the weather is too bad to prevent tendering off Georgetown, but possible at this alternate location, ships - fewer ships - will be allowed to anchor on the very south side of the island

This is used only in times where the normal anchorage is compromised due to weather, and fewer ships (fewer pass') can be accomidated.

the normal anchorage for Grand Cayman is just west of Georgetown

when the weather is too bad to prevent tendering off Georgetown, but possible at this alternate location, ships - fewer ships - will be allowed to anchor on the very south side of the island

This is used only in times where the normal anchorage is compromised due to weather, and fewer ships (fewer pass') can be accomidated.

Thanks for the clarification. I think this is what happened the last time we were there. It wasn't too impressive when you got off the tender. There didn't seem to be anything walking distance. Actually I do recall a very long drive to swim with the dolphins and do the turtle farm.

We'll follow the suggestions in Post 2 for snorkeling - assuming we are on the correct side of the island. :o

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Wisconsin and there aren't a lot of places to snorkel during the summer. And, I haven't won the lottery yet so I can't cruise every weekend yet either.

So, should I buy some snorkeling gear or just rent for $15-$25 pp when I come in for my one day in Caymans?

We are also going to Cozumel and I might try to snorkel there too.

I'd like to check out eden rock before or after the stingrays. About how much time should I allow for swimming out there and back and maybe snorkeling for a half hour or so?

Eden Rock is less than a 5 min walk from the tender area. As soon as you climb in the water you're "there".

kdooley - I'm really interested in going to cemetary beach. We'll be there this Dec. and we plan on walking up to the bus station and taking the bus there. Can you expand more about cemetary beach. Is is worth it? Some of the others in our group are heading up to Hell (I'm not interested in that). Is it easy to get there by bus? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Smith Cove is better for snorkelling than Cemetary Beach because of the coral walls that line the beach (you can google images). But Cemetary Beach is nice because it is a locals beach, even on a cruise day you should not have many people (you have to walk on a path next to the cemetary and there is no sign). That said we do like Cemetary Beach because it is more typical with sandy entrance, good views and the snorkelling is good. There are however no services and only a couple of trees for shade.

If you take the bus, just tell the driver where you want to get off, and he/she will know.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Which "wreck" are you referring to? We've done 2 there....

Not sure what line the OP is sailing?

On CCL, we did the Cali wreck. IMO, waste of time/money.

On RCI, we did the catamaran w/ Kittiwake wreck and reef snorkel. THAT was great! (review in trip report....link in sig)

I ask because I don't think CCL offers Kittiwake and RCI doesn't offer the Cali.

CCL offers Sunken Ship - Kittiwake & Reef Snorkel it has 5 star rate on CCL site - I wonder if this is the same as you are talking about with RCI?

CCL offers Sunken Ship - Kittiwake & Reef Snorkel it has 5 star rate on CCL site - I wonder if this is the same as you are talking about with RCI?

It might be new for CCL...might not have been sunk yet when we did CCL?

Anyway, there is 1 Kittiwake in Grand Cayman. If CCL is offering it, I'd do it. We thought it was a great ship to see! Here is the edited video my husband shot of us snorkeling the Kittiwake:

I read an old post about Sunset house being a good place to snorkel, anyone been there recently, is it right near where the ship docks?

Sunset House is about a 15 minute walk from town. Take a right off the pier and walk past Eden Rock and Don Foster's Dive shops. It'll be on your right. Check in at the gear counter for a briefing or if you need to rent equipment. I'm a diver with my own gear so unfortunately I don't know what their prices are for those items. There are two entry points into the water. The first is straight down the driveway where you can jump or climb the ladder. The second is off to the right. Either way, follow the sand chutes that will bring you out into the deeper water. Close to shore there are usually LOTS of urchins and Sargent Majors. Buoys mark the places of interest such as Amphitrite (the 9' bronze mermaid) and the small wreck. The mermaid sits at a depth of about 50' but you can see her clearly from the surface. Wile diving here my kids snorkeled above us and had a good time. They followed a turtle around for a while too. There is an abundance of fish to see around the coral such as Blennies, Wrasse, several kinds of Grouper, Parrotfish, Jacks, Basslets, Snapperfish, Damsels, Grunts, Barracuda, etc. Don't let the thought of seeing a Barracuda scare you off. Don't bother them and they won't bother you.

Outside of the water there is a dunk tank for rinsing your equipment and even a shower to rinse off the salt water.

My Bar is the restaurant under the huge thatched roof. You can get burgers and such there. We love this place. They aren't fans of travelers checks though. On site are two camera shops. Cathy Church's Underwater Photo Gallery (downstairs) is something to check out. She takes beautiful photos and they sell all kinds of cameras and equipment for anything photo. You can rent a whole camera set-up if you want to take pictures while you're in the water. They give you a quick class on how to use the equipment and then put your pictures on a disk for you afterward.

Hope this sums up Sunset House for you. Sorry if it was TMI

Archived