Special Needs Kids in Camp Carnival ?

ata1976

I know this has been asked before and I have searched this forum and the family boards forum but can not find the info now.

Someone said special needs children can move down an age group if they would feel more comfortable in camp carnival. I am trying to locate this info on the carnival website but can't find it.

Can anyone confirm? Or have a link?

Thanks!

I know this has been asked before and I have searched this forum and the family boards forum but can not find the info now.

Someone said special needs children can move down an age group if they would feel more comfortable in camp carnival. I am trying to locate this info on the carnival website but can't find it.

Can anyone confirm? Or have a link?

Thanks!

Scroll down to bottom of page

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_87

Children with special needs have the option to move down one age group if this will help them better adapt to the environment.

Because you bought this up I am curious if anyone thinks they can handle a child with autism?? I know I some someone who had taken a carnival cruise with autistic children. How did that go? I want to take my kids but I am not sure how that would work with my 6 year old. He is non-verbal with autism.

Because you bought this up I am curious if anyone thinks they can handle a child with autism?? I know I some someone who had taken a carnival cruise with autistic children. How did that go? I want to take my kids but I am not sure how that would work with my 6 year old. He is non-verbal with autism.

We started cruising with our son when he was 6 years old.

He has Asperger's Syndrome. 14 years (and 46 cruises) later, it was the best decision we ever made. We have been able to use cruising as a learning tool in a confined environment.

Since you have the additional issue of your son being non-verbal....I would suggest that you use the " labeling method".

Put 3 sticky labels on his back that say "food" "drink" "restroom". That way the staff will be reminded to check periodically to see if your son needs any of the above.

If there is a type of sign language that your son uses, teach the counselors a few simple words for the most important needs like food, water and bathroom.

We used this method at church and it works well.

We have found over the years that there are only 3 things that Carnival can NOT do:

1. They can not give medication.

2. They can not give one on one care.

3. They can not have a child that is aggressive to the staff or other children.

I would also suggest that you email: specialneeds@carnival.com with any specific needs.

We have a 7 year old with Epilepsy and mildly autistic (non-verbal). We booked our cruise through Autism on the Seas. Carnival was absolutely wonderful to him. No problems whatsoever in Camp Carnival - he loved going. We were able to move him down an age group and got a phone for them to contact us.

We started cruising with our son when he was 6 years old.

He has Asperger's Syndrome. 14 years (and 46 cruises) later, it was the best decision we ever made. We have been able to use cruising as a learning tool in a confined environment.

Since you have the additional issue of your son being non-verbal....I would suggest that you use the " labeling method".

Put 3 sticky labels on his back that say "food" "drink" "restroom". That way the staff will be reminded to check periodically to see if your son needs any of the above.

If there is a type of sign language that your son uses, teach the counselors a few simple words for the most important needs like food, water and bathroom.

We used this method at church and it works well.

We have found over the years that there are only 3 things that Carnival can NOT do:

1. They can not give medication.

2. They can not give one on one care.

3. They can not have a child that is aggressive to the staff or other children.

I would also suggest that you email: specialneeds@carnival.com with any specific needs.

Good for you taking your son on cruises and getting him out there. We do the same with our 7 year old non-verbal with autism and its so great to see him smile and have so much fun.

Good for you taking your son on cruises and getting him out there. We do the same with our 7 year old non-verbal with autism and its so great to see him smile and have so much fun.

That is great!!

We have never used Autism on the Seas, but everyone who has totally LOVE them!!!

Archived