Purchase alcohol first night and can take it to your room?

Is it true that on the first night of the cruise you can purchase alcohol from the on board shop and take it to your room?

The fee is about $9?

Is that per bottle or for your total bill?

You can purchase alcohol whenever the ship's store is open to sell liquor, and then take it to your room. You'll just be subject to the $9.50 per bottle surcharge for that privilege.

I did not know that you could purchase alcohol by the bottles and bring it to your room for a $9.50 charge. That's not a bad deal at all..... How is the pricing on the ship and can you buy Stoli?

What about bringing your own bottle from home? Do they allow that?

No bottles from home but liquer is pretty cheap on the ships. Much cheaper on the islands but still a great deal on the ship as well ( ST Martin is the cheapest by far I have found). Still though a bittle of Johhny Walker Blue on the ship is around $110 (85 in St MArtin) all still much cheaper than $200 here in NY. I have also found that lately they have done away with the $9.50 charge and wont allow you to bring back to you cabins any liquer purchased on board. Also keep in mind any alcohol bought on the islands and brought back to the ship will be held to the last day as well.

I will generally purchase a bottle of Baily's and keep it in the room. We sailed as recently as last January and you could still purchase onboard, pay the fee and take the bottle to your room. I had not heard of any changes were you could not take a purchase back to your room.

Is there a list with prices available as to what they have on board - now I'm sitting here thinking ..... yea I would love to relax with a glass of Bailey's before dinner...after dinner... and with my morning coffee :)

No bottles from home but liquer is pretty cheap on the ships. Much cheaper on the islands but still a great deal on the ship as well ( ST Martin is the cheapest by far I have found). Still though a bittle of Johhny Walker Blue on the ship is around $110 (85 in St MArtin) all still much cheaper than $200 here in NY. I have also found that lately they have done away with the $9.50 charge and wont allow you to bring back to you cabins any liquer purchased on board. Also keep in mind any alcohol bought on the islands and brought back to the ship will be held to the last day as well.

When/What ship were you on where they wouldn't allow you to pay a consumption fee to bring a bottle back to your room with you? We were planning on doing this to avoid the hassle of smuggling!:p

On the Brilliance, they charged $9.50 per bottle for the privilege to take it back to your room. A litre of Bacardi or Absolut was less than $10. On the islands, I picked up a litre of Bacardi Gold for $6.50 and a litre of Stoli for $7 and had no issue bringing it onboard and to my room. Also picked up some wine (nothing special) and also had no problems bringing it onboard. Can't remember what they charged for Bailey's.

Mike

I did not know that RC allowed this. I am booked on the Mariner July 3rd.

Can someone confirm that you can buy alcohol and take it back to your room? I would love to avoid sneaking it on board. There's always a chance it can break. ;)

I agree. I'm sailing on the Rhapsody on April 10th and I would love to buy my alcohol on the ship, but I'm also afraid I'll get there and they will not allow you to buy it and bring it back to our room.

If anyone has sailed recently on the Rhapsody and bought stoli or absolute vodka and was able to take it back to your room, please let me know.

Thanks!! :D

I did not know that RC allowed this. I am booked on the Mariner July 3rd.

Can someone confirm that you can buy alcohol and take it back to your room? I would love to avoid sneaking it on board. There's always a chance it can break. ;)

Just off of Explorer of the Seas about 4 weeks ago. $9.50 per bottle service charge to take the bottle to your cabin. I don't recall Stoli on the ship, but they certainly had lots of Absolut!!! $10 a liter. The islands are somewhat cheaper than the ship, and we've always just brought a bottle or two back in our backpack and have had not problem taking it to our cabin. Just don't advertise or volunteer that bit of information....

We were on a 4 day, and by the time we could buy 'duty free', there were only 3 days left. (The first night we we could not take delivery until after dinner.....we prefer to have a drink or two before). You were not allowed to take any unused portion off the ship to take home, so having only one scotch drinker in our group, it wasn't worth it. So, we bought 4 bottles (2 each) to bring home....no questions asked at Customs.

Next time, I would definitely take a little something with me to sip on, at least for the first night, in my luggage. It's nice to have a Happy Hour with your group before going to dinner. Well....maybe I'll do it for the second, and third and fourth nights too. Drinks in the lounges are expensive.....as long as we buy a few in the course of the cruise, I won't feel too guilty.

M.

I don't recall the exact price of the Baily's but it was a 1 liter bottle rather than the 750 ml bottle they sell at home. Even with the consumption fee it's about the same price as at home. It seems that it's around $17/liter plus the $9.50 consumption fee.

As for Stoli, I've seen it on every RCI ship I've been on. If I'm drinking Vodka, it's either Stoli or Grey Goose depending on the mood I'm in. RCI ships have always had both and at very reasonable prices.

I'm not exactly sure where I heard this but I remember someone telling me that you could purchase as many bottles as you wanted to take back to your room and only be charge a one time $9.50 (this one time charge was only for the 1st night) any other day it would be per bottle. I don't know if this is true at all.

We were on the Rhapsody in Feb of '04 and the sign in the liquor store indicated that for the first night only you could purchase as many bottles as you wanted and with the $9.50 charge take it to your cabin. We bought our bottle of Vodka then. We told some friends who cruised this past January that they needed to check it out the first night. They waited until later and were told they couldn't take it to their cabin - period. They didn't ask if they could have had they done it on day 1. We've done it on all 4 of our RCI cruises but it does seem like it may be an inconsistent policy. We've have also always taken Diet Tonic because we can't get that on board. That's never been a problem either.

Does anyone who has cruised on AOS or SOS know if the liquor shop is open the first night of the cruise, and if so, did they only charge one $9.50 fee?

They leave port at 10pm which means the shop may not even open the first night...(I can't imagine them opening at 10pm only to close about an hour later)

Here's the scoop for the Grandeur of the Seas - Just got back today 4/16/05.

Liquor store is open around 6P the first night and you can take any bottle back to your room the first night OR ANY OTHER NIGHT and pay the $9.50 consumption fee per bottle. They do not have wine in the liquor store.

Archived