Carry on and port visit bag???

What is the most convenient type of bag is for carry on but also island port visits (size, shape etc)? There was a great American thread on this but I didn't recognise the brands they were talking about.

We're heading to south pacific islands on RCI Rhapsody this nov.

I had a back injury a while back so I'm thinking a small roller suitcase/ backpack? I want to buy a couple of souvenirs . The camelbak is an option too ;)

What has worked for others?

:) love to hear your thoughts.

Cruising Rhapsosy of the Seas, South Pacific from Sydney 27/11/12.

Mandy

I have a very simple duffle bag from Glassons that I am planning on using. It's a few years old, but a stop by one of their stores the other day was enough to let me know that they have some very similar ones in stock. Perhaps if you found one with a long strap for placing the bag over the shoulder? Similar to the country road bags. They'd certainly be adequate to carry all the daily needs for port as well as a towel or two :)

Ahhh iphone just had a hissy fit and tapatalk thing shut down! Devestated... thank God the lappy was at the ready :)

I have a very simple duffle bag from Glassons that I am planning on using. It's a few years old, but a stop by one of their stores the other day was enough to let me know that they have some very similar ones in stock. Perhaps if you found one with a long strap for placing the bag over the shoulder? Similar to the country road bags. They'd certainly be adequate to carry all the daily needs for port as well as a towel or two :)

Nice, I can definitely get my hands on one of those. I ave a few leatherish gym/overnight bags like this but i know those country road ones are nice and light (good for my poor back) and big (good for my stuff)! :D On the other hand, absolutely nothing wrong with my husband's back...:rolleyes: hmmmm

Do you bring beach towels from home or borrow them from the ship? Are we even supposed to do that? I'm predicting some strategic packing will be necessary.:p

P.S very much looking forward to meeting my fellow obsessed CC'er this November!

Do you bring beach towels from home or borrow them from the ship? Are we even supposed to do that? I'm predicting some strategic packing will be necessary.:p

P.S very much looking forward to meeting my fellow obsessed CC'er this November!

Definitely just take the towels from the ship - that's what they're there for! No need in taking up space in your luggage.

By the way, have just put my email address in my signature in case you fancy chatting a bit before our cruise :) I'm looking forward to meeting you too! Getting close now!

Definitely just take the towels from the ship - that's what they're there for! No need in taking up space in your luggage.

By the way, have just put my email address in my signature in case you fancy chatting a bit before our cruise :) I'm looking forward to meeting you too! Getting close now!

Oh thanks Sarah! I will defo shoot u an email (or fifty). :) I tend to like to be over prepared/educated. Not a control freak, just... excited?!? LOL.

My latest consideration, what to wear boarding. :) long(ish) drive to Sydney, will provably have lunch in the rocks, surely a long wait while boarding, but want to wear something pretty, that I could wear to dinner if bags get waylaid. I LIVE in gym tights and runners! LOL. "Casual" dress for me is definitely not similar to that which other cruisers are posting about!

Mandy

No need to have lunch in the Rocks....have it onboard. When we went on ROS we were onboard by 11.15am, and sitting in the beautiful buffet area eating by 12 noon....oh, overlooking the Opera House and Circular Quay. What a top spot. Also shortly after our lunch, out near the pool, they set up 'stalls' where you could pick up brouchres for everything onboard ie spas etc. Love the Rhapsody.

Jen

Oh thanks Sarah! I will defo shoot u an email (or fifty). :) I tend to like to be over prepared/educated. Not a control freak, just... excited?!? LOL.

My latest consideration, what to wear boarding. :) long(ish) drive to Sydney, will provably have lunch in the rocks, surely a long wait while boarding, but want to wear something pretty, that I could wear to dinner if bags get waylaid. I LIVE in gym tights and runners! LOL. "Casual" dress for me is definitely not similar to that which other cruisers are posting about!

Mandy

I've heard that RCI aren't too fussed about the dress in the MDR on the first night. Just wear something that you'll feel comfortable in, or perhaps pack a light dress or something for your carry on? (bear in mind that it can sometimes take a long time for bags to arrive, so if you need other things, you'll need them in your carry on).

If you do decide to have lunch at the rocks, head up to Pancakes on the Rocks. Always good for something yummy and reasonably priced. But yes, as already mentioned, there'll be food available as soon as boarding commences :)

Look forward to your emails, Mandy. It's always nice to get to know someone else cruising with me (and around my age too.)

Hi Mandy,

I generally use a backpack when in port. It's roomy enough to hold a purse, camera, water bottle, towels, and snorkelling gear. Plus a few souvenirs :) Then I carry a folded up plastic bag (the thicker kind) to carry the wet swimmers and snorkelling gear back to the ship.

When I'm flying interstate to cruise I sometimes have a carry on with wheels (instead of the backpack) which is easy to manouevre and can hold my notebook pc also.

Usually one of us carries the backpack and the other the carry on.

On embarkation day they are less picky about what people wear to dinner. A pretty dress would be perfect.

On longer trips I have a rule - don't pack anything that won't be worn at least three times. So I take 3/4 length black gym pants which can also be worn under shorter dresses.

Hope that helps. Have a wonderful cruise! :D

Thanks for that tip Jen- didn't know we could be boarded early! That's good news, though I was hoping whoever drives us to syd (family) could hang around to wave goodbye - that would be a long wait between 11ish and 5? 5pm is our departure right?

They recommend boarding between 1 and 3pm I think - do u suggest trying to get in early and be first in line or wait until later and waltz straight through?

I think the backpack will be a goer for me Topaz. If the trusty little thing can get me thru Uni i think it'll enjoy a trip to some south pacific beach LOL :)

So good to hear of the small things (such as bag choice) ;) that make life easier on a cruise.

Mandy

Mandy

They recommend boarding between 1 and 3pm I think - do u suggest trying to get in early and be first in line or wait until later and waltz straight through?

I would aim for around 12/12.30 - Boarding commences at about 1, but checkin may occur before that =)

I would aim for around 12/12.30 - Boarding commences at about 1, but checkin may occur before that =)

Oh I see :) thanks for the tip!

I like being early so that's good to know.

Mandy

Archived