Easter Sunday in OSJ

MDSue

Hello, My sister and I will be returning from our cruise on Easter Sunday this year and we are thinking about staying an extra day. We usually stay in the heart of OSJ, but I am wondering if there will be any stores or restaurants open. I know Easter is a huge holiday on the islands.

I suspect that traffic may be a disaster as well. Are there any special celebrations that go on downtown other than church services.

I'm sure we will arrive too late for sunrise services, but will there be any later services we might be able to attend. When we were there on Good Friday a few years ago, there was a procession through the town in the evening that we really enjoyed seeing.

Thanks for any advice!

Susan

Surprisingly, Easter Sunday is not that big a deal here. There will be a mass around 10-11 at the Cathedral. Good Friday is the big event.

Some stores and restaurants will be closed, but some will be open. The Forts are open.

But I bet more families than usual will be in OSJ, enjoying the day.

Once you get outside the tourists areas, fewer things will be open.

• 5 months later...

MDSue, As you know, we're on the same cruise. We're staying one night on Easter Sunday in Old San Juan, at the Villa Herencia hotel. I've written an email to the hotel to see what will be open, whether or not we need dining reservations, etc. If you're staying in OSJ, we may want to share a cab to OSJ, or a tour if everything is closed up, or whatever... let me know what your plans are!

MDSue, As you know, we're on the same cruise. We're staying one night on Easter Sunday in Old San Juan, at the Villa Herencia hotel. I've written an email to the hotel to see what will be open, whether or not we need dining reservations, etc. If you're staying in OSJ, we may want to share a cab to OSJ, or a tour if everything is closed up, or whatever... let me know what your plans are!

Hi, We are scheduled to fly out that day instead of staying an extra day. We are coming in 3 days early instead. We were looking for others to do a tour of the rainforest before we leave, but will have to head straight to the airport when we come back.

Susan

Well, it was worth a try. We didn't realize it was Easter when we booked the extra night. Hope we can find enough to do! Three days early--you better get packing!

I'm ready to start packing- just hope our ship will be ready for us! I was there on Good Friday and the day before Easter and plenty was open. There will be lots of families and kids flying kites at El Morro. I'd definitely plan on visiting there. San Juan is a great place to walk around (and shop, of course). Hope you'll have a great day there.

Archived