Low Sodium Diet

j-9

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with low sodium as a special dietary requirement, that they would be willing to share? I have requested this for our trip on the Sun. The access desk has let me know that they can support the request, just looking for people's experience in the main and specialty restaurants.

Thanks

On recent NCL Dawn, asked in MDR for low sodium menu and was informed all food is prepared with medium sodium; no other alternative. Food was salty. Avoided soups and appetizers. Had salad and entrees.

Did you contact them in advance, or just try to get it after you were on board? I was told by the access desk that they could do it and I need to meet with someone when I board. I know their sauces are salty, and I need to watch my sodium intake now, so hoping there are still some yummy options for me.

Anyone else requested low sodium?

Did not attempt to arrange in advance. Asked first night in MDR. Waiter was clueless. Got a woman in suit, perhaps a headwaiter, who did not offer low sodium menu just that all food was prepared with moderate salt, which I found not to be the case.

If you can arrange in advance, I would recommend.

Happy cruising!

Thanks RealSoxFan,

Hopefully with the advance notice it works a bit smoother than what you experienced. I just hope they know that low sodium doesn't = boring... I'm envisioning grey naked meat and some steamed broccoli every night for a week :)

To achieve this, your BEST option is to get to know the Maitre'd in the restaurants of your choice. Calling a number, speaking with someone NOT working in the MDR or the kitchen will just pass the info along. Just like anything else, it takes patience and understanding.

I'm sure they have ways to offer you low sodium meals. Heck, they can still cook special meals upon request for later in your cruise. Off of the menu, I don't know if you can have exactly "what your significant other has, just lower sodium". I would imagine things like steak, grilled chicken, salads, can be low sodium.

I'm not an expert...but I say start with the Maitre'd. They can ask some of the many chefs, if not the Head Chef him/herself.

Yah, I agree making the connection is important - the lady from the access desk (the low sodium diet is considered a medical requirement handled through the access desk) told me she has notified the ship and that I need to speak to the group event coordinator right after I board. I thought that was funny - the group event coordinator is who I usually order my bottle of gin from LOL. I could understand it a bit better if I was to speak to the maitre'd or someone from the kitchen, but maybe the GEC coordinates individual events (like my dinner) as well.

Well, guess I'll check out the process and see how it works.

My DH experience with gluten-free has been that you notify them ahead of time through your TA/cruise line who makes sure that the ship is aware of the needs. (Gluten-free is a bit different since they need to ensure they actually have enough of the GF alternatives on board.)

Once checked-in on the ship, DH went to the Maitre D' in the dining room we would be eating dinners in. They arranged a meal for the first night, and then after that he saw the menu for the following night each evening and made his selections. (This worked even with anytime dining on X.) For any meals in the buffet (breakfast and lunch), he asked an Assistant Maitre D' for assistance and he walked DH around the buffet and explained what he could, and could not, eat. (It got to the point where they would see us coming and would run down to get his GF toast.)

With speciality restaurants, you speak to the Maitre D' when making the reservation or before your meal.

So different dietary issue, but as you can see, if you let the ship know ahead of time, they make sure you are well taken care of.

I have a number of food allergies and have found NCL to be very accomodating.

I do notifiy the Access Desk ahead of time and then always met with the Maitre d' the first day (usually I go to the MDR for lunch and ask the head waiter if the MD can come see me).

As others have said I get to see the menu at dinner for the next night's dinner and pre-order.

We also did Taste of India and Teppanyaki and at both venues the head chef met with me the day before to insure there were no issues ( I was in a suite for this trip so the concierge was very on top of my allergies)

Can you give a review once you have cruised? A true low sodium diet is so different than any other. It's not as simple as just avoiding certain things (like a gluten-free diet or shellfish allergy) since sodium is so pervasive in just about everything. My mom is very, very strict about hers because her joints ache when she even eats half the daily recommended dose. I've learned a lot from her which helps me and my family with our daily intake.

I've told my mom that ships can accommodate her diet since I'm trying to convince her to cruise with us, but now I'm rethinking this. I'd like to know if you can get a true low-sodium experience or if they just think not adding salt is all it takes. Thanks in advance.

Can you give a review once you have cruised?

Hi Cathep,

I agree just it takes more than just not adding salt. It takes quite a bit of effort to keep track of sodium consumption, and without access to the packages, I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. Maybe I'll get to go to kitchen each day :)

I'm interested in your comment that your mom's joints ache after having too much. Can you tell me how quickly she feels this effect? Does if build up over time or is it quite quick?

I'll post how the experience is when I get back mid-December.

Thanks

Archived