Anytime Dining Questions

linky99

We sail on our first cruise in just a few days and I have a couple of questions regarding anytime dining. First off, we chose anytime dining so that we would have the flexibility with our 6 year old child to chose when we wanted to eat. And we will be on the Spirit.

Do the anytime diners eat in the same MDR as the assigned diners?

I've seen posts about dancing waiters, etc. How often do they come around?

If we request a certain seat (like by the window) from the Maitre'd, do we tip him before we ask, if he gets us our request, after dinner, or at the end of the cruise. If we tip him one night, will he expect a tip each night?

That's all I can think of. Thank you in advance for your answers!

Spirit has only one MDR. Most likely the ATD's will be in the upper level.

The waiters do their dancing somewhere around dessert for the scheduled dining times. If you happen to be at ATD around that time, you will see them.

Most people want to be by the window. You can ask the MD on embark day. The time to see him will be posted in the Fun Times...usually around 1-1:30ish.

No need to tip him at that time. You'll receive an envelope for the MD in the MDR on the last day if you want to tip him for the week.

We sail on our first cruise in just a few days and I have a couple of questions regarding anytime dining. First off, we chose anytime dining so that we would have the flexibility with our 6 year old child to chose when we wanted to eat. And we will be on the Spirit.

If we request a certain seat (like by the window) from the Maitre'd, do we tip him before we ask, if he gets us our request, after dinner, or at the end of the cruise. If we tip him one night, will he expect a tip each night?

Depending on the ship you will be in a different dining room or different area than traditional dining. You may request a location or a specific server if you like with the host. No need to tip extra for that.

Do the anytime diners eat in the same MDR as the assigned diners? Anytime dining is done in the midship dining room if the ship has one or on the upper level of the MDR if there is only one.

Some evenings not every night the waiters sing and dance just about the time that dessert is getting ready to be ordered. Since I've started doing ATD, I usually go the the DR around 7pm and I've not had any singing waiters. I'm not even sure if it happens in the ATD area.

If we request a certain seat (like by the window) from the Maitre'd, do we tip him before we ask, if he gets us our request, after dinner, or at the end of the cruise. If we tip him one night, will he expect a tip each night? You can request any table you want, but most of the tables by the window will be larger 6 to 8 person tables, so you may have to eat with others. There is no need to tip the MD personally unless he has done something special for you and asking for a specific table isn't anything special.

You will actually be seated by a hostess, not the MD.......I rarely have any interaction with him other than he might come by my table once or twice during the week just to see if everything is going good......that's not deserving of a tip IMHO

I love the flexability of YTD and would never go back to assigned time.

There's only one main dining room on the Spirit Class ships so, yes, everyone eats in the same dining room. They will have a specific area for folks who are participating in Your Time Dining but other than that it's all the same.

The waiters normally entertain near the end of dinner... around the time that dessert is served so you might expect it around 7:15... 7:30 for the early crowd or around 9:30 for the late crowd.

Just ask the maitre d' when your being seated if a table that meets your needs is available. Don't expect to be seated at the same table each night, though. There's no need to tip him or her unless you simply want to and then you can do that at the end of the cruise. You'll be provided an envelope for that exact purpose.

:)

There's only one main dining room on the Spirit Class ships so, yes, everyone eats in the same dining room. They will have a specific area for folks who are participating in Your Time Dining but other than that it's all the same.

The waiters normally entertain near the end of dinner... around the time that dessert is served so you might expect it around 7:15... 7:30 for the early crowd or around 9:30 for the late crowd.

Just ask the maitre d' when your being seated if a table that meets your needs is available. Don't expect to be seated at the same table each night, though. There's no need to tip him or her unless you simply want to and then you can do that at the end of the cruise. You'll be provided an envelope for that exact purpose.

:)

The maitre d' does not seat anytime diners, the hosts do. And you can request the same table every nite.

Having Your Time Dining is just like going to a restaurant at home. You show up and they show you to an available table. You can request to sit by the window each night (or whereever you choose) when you show up and can even request the same waiter if you liked your waiter the night before. They can honor your request if the table is available. They won't hold a table by the window for you for the entire week. Our last cruise we requested the same waiter each night and loved YTD. Doing it again next cruise.

Having Your Time Dining is just like going to a restaurant at home. You show up and they show you to an available table. You can request to sit by the window each night (or whereever you choose) when you show up and can even request the same waiter if you liked your waiter the night before. They can honor your request if the table is available. They won't hold a table by the window for you for the entire week. Our last cruise we requested the same waiter each night and loved YTD. Doing it again next cruise.

This has been my experience too. :)

Archived