I'm trying not to panic!! It's not working!

dogchopper

[quote name='Twibbs']That was her reason for doing it. I'm just saying, for others reading the thread, there are other reasons to do it.[/quote]

Ok then lets see.........no clutter because you can stick the luggage under the bed......and I would think nobody would be that starved to death that they couldn't check into a hotel first:confused: So I guess if you are fearful that your luggage won't show up.......you have a point:D
I guess I can't be swayed, I would rather have more than not enough lol! Especially on a cruise where I only have to unpack once....

[quote name='5waldos']Are they really better than ziplock bags? Or enough better to bother?[/quote]

The thing that swings me in favor of Ziploc instead of Space Bags is the fact that Ziplocs are much cheaper to replace and much easier to shove a few extras into a pocket on my suitcase. I can get the air out either way. The fact that Space Bags are normally bigger and stiffer than Ziplocs works against them for me - not as easy to squish them in and arrange them.

[quote name='dogchopper']ya know, everyone on here says 2 bathing suits.. I only have one (and am not thirlled at this point about wearing it) but I've only been on spring break cruises.. so I've never really gotten in the pools, always too crowded.. On excursions I dont do beach stuff often.. Did go to the private island once, which i loved, but thats really the only time i've gotten to use my one bathing suit!
Maybe a non spring break cruise will be different and I'll be able to get into the pool..[/quote]

If you're not really into the water stuff I wouldn't worry about it. I do always bring 2 suits even though I rarely use the pools. Twice I've had the rear of a suit give out on me - once at our hotel pre-cruise and once just after our first port. Thankfully I had another one for remainder of the trip and our snorkeling tour. At least with women's suits, when those things give out they just disintegrate to where they are completely see-through.

[quote name='emortiz24']Not sure if it has been posted but I found this article on how to pack for a 10 trip using only a carry-on. Hope this helps. :)

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html[/url][/QUOTE]
Wow I have not see that! thanks!
I did go out and buy a space bag.. and now I see that ziploc bags might have been a better idea.. oh nooo.. :) I couldn't find any small ones just medium sized.. I also bought 2 little travel sized bottles of hairspray.. YAY.. i was worried about that one!!

Now im going to go look thru that link and learn how this lady packed for a 10 day trip in a carryon bag.. Cool!

[quote name='vacruizer']If you're not really into the water stuff I wouldn't worry about it. I do always bring 2 suits even though I rarely use the pools. Twice I've had the rear of a suit give out on me - once at our hotel pre-cruise and once just after our first port. Thankfully I had another one for remainder of the trip and our snorkeling tour. At least with women's suits, when those things give out they just disintegrate to where they are completely see-through.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear:o

[quote name='dogchopper']Ha really... Now im going to go look real close at my bathing suit .. i sure don't want that to happen!![/QUOTE]

You are not going to Siberia- anything you forget or can't fit in- you can buy. Don't stress this packing business. My traveling friends are now in a competition- how little can you bring and feel that you aren't depriving yourself. Do you really want to get up every morning and spend an hour trying to figure out what to wear?

[quote name='dogchopper']Ha really... Now im going to go look real close at my bathing suit .. i sure don't want that to happen!![/quote]

I was really mad the first time it happened. I had bought what I thought was a nice Jantzen suit. I'd worn it about 5 times for a 1 hour water aerobics class so it was almost new. Went for an evening swim at the hotel we stayed at pre-cruise, got back to the room and took my coverup off and my husband told me I might want to toss the suit - the whole rear end looked like sheer pantyhose instead of a black bathing suit! :eek: I really hope it was dark enough outside that no one else got that view!

[quote name='vacruizer']I was really mad the first time it happened. I had bought what I thought was a nice Jantzen suit. I'd worn it about 5 times for a 1 hour water aerobics class so it was almost new. Went for an evening swim at the hotel we stayed at pre-cruise, got back to the room and took my coverup off and my husband told me I might want to toss the suit - the whole rear end looked like sheer pantyhose instead of a black bathing suit! :eek: I really hope it was dark enough outside that no one else got that view![/QUOTE]
Oh I'm really worried now, I've had my suit for years!!! And this isn't the best time to buy one!! I'm trying mine on tomorrow!!

[quote name='dogchopper']Oh I'm really worried now, I've had my suit for years!!! And this isn't the best time to buy one!! I'm trying mine on tomorrow!![/QUOTE]

Go on line- lots of places it is the BEST time to buy one- end of season and all. Lands End for example- all way discounted. And be sure you try it wet- sometimes..... well....

[quote name='5waldos']Go on line- lots of places it is the BEST time to buy one- end of season and all. Lands End for example- all way discounted. And be sure you try it wet- sometimes..... well....[/quote]

I was going to suggest Land's End, too. They are cheap this time of year and you can return them to Sears if they don't fit. I've found they hold up way better in chlorine than most. I did finally have one fall apart but only after about 3 years and wore it regularly to work out in the pool. Others I've gotten rid of because they no longer fit and they still looked like new. Check their overstock section - I got a couple to get me through the winter that I paid less than $15 each for. :) They also send free shipping coupons all the time if you sign up for email.

[quote name='vacruizer']I was going to suggest Land's End, too. They are cheap this time of year and you can return them to Sears if they don't fit. I've found they hold up way better in chlorine than most. I did finally have one fall apart but only after about 3 years and wore it regularly to work out in the pool. Others I've gotten rid of because they no longer fit and they still looked like new. Check their overstock section - I got a couple to get me through the winter that I paid less than $15 each for. :) They also send free shipping coupons all the time if you sign up for email.[/QUOTE]
Lands End.. I havent tried them.. I did try a few places a week or so ago, but didn't see much.. bathing suits are not fun to shop for when your.. chubby.....
Its good that you can return them to sears though.. I will check it out.

Add up how much you spent on cruise fare, airfare, and what you will spend on board. Conservatively, say you spent $400 on the cruise, $300 on airfare, and about $50 a day on board. That is a total of $900. $50 to check luggage is 5.5% of the total. Why would you not spend an additional 5.5% to avoid the worry and aggravation you are going through now, and have everything you need to have a good time? Do the math with your actual figures, and let us know what the percentage would be, just for fun.

[quote name='ZoeyVictoria']Add up how much you spent on cruise fare, airfare, and what you will spend on board. Conservatively, say you spent $400 on the cruise, $300 on airfare, and about $50 a day on board. That is a total of $900. $50 to check luggage is 5.5% of the total. Why would you not spend an additional 5.5% to avoid the worry and aggravation you are going through now, and have everything you need to have a good time? Do the math with your actual figures, and let us know what the percentage would be, just for fun.[/QUOTE]

Never matters to me- I DO NOT like paying airlines for checking a bag. It is not right and they have made billions on this additional fee.

[quote name='5waldos']Never matters to me- I DO NOT like paying airlines for checking a bag. It is not right and they have made billions on this additional fee.[/QUOTE]
yeah, I mean I am frugal, but I will pay for things of value, and it erks me to pay for luggage.. just doesnt seem right!

[quote name='vacruizer']I was going to suggest Land's End, too. They are cheap this time of year and you can return them to Sears if they don't fit. I've found they hold up way better in chlorine than most. I did finally have one fall apart but only after about 3 years and wore it regularly to work out in the pool. Others I've gotten rid of because they no longer fit and they still looked like new. Check their overstock section - I got a couple to get me through the winter that I paid less than $15 each for. :) They also send free shipping coupons all the time if you sign up for email.[/QUOTE]
I just went on lands ends site.. not too many suits left.. so, im out of luck there.

[quote name='dogchopper']yeah, I mean I am frugal, but I will pay for things of value, and it erks me to pay for luggage.. just doesnt seem right![/QUOTE]

What upsets me is that first they spent years yelling at us about bringing too much onboard, then once they convinced us to cut back, they decided to charge us for checking bags. I'll buy everything I need at my destination before I spend very much on checking bags.

Archived