Dream Replacement

gdries

OK, I have to admit, I missed this one. With the Dream replacin ghte Sea on the Texaribbean itinerary starting in October 2005, what ship would be deployed to fill the void in Europe for the summer Baltics cruises. Will this be the end of the funnel flip. I certainly hope not. The Kiel Canal is a highlight of the trip. Any thoughts?

Aloha Hawaii from LA via San Francisco

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;6;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

When the Dream transits the Kiel Canal it "flips" it's funnel. On the Dream you can see it's smoke funnel towards the back of the ship. It's too tall to make it under the low bridges on the Kiel Canal. So as you enter the canal the top part of the stack lifts up and folds over so the ship is short enough to go under the bridges. The Dream is the only large passenger vessel that can transit the Kiel Canal because of the flipped funnel. It's a sight to see.

Cecilia

I've cruised to Alaska, Australia, Asia, South America, Panama Canal, transatlantic, Hawaii, Baltics and the Caribbean. I've been on the NCL Dream, Wind, Star, Sky, Norway and the RCCL Mariner of the Seas. I can be contacted at *****@aol.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My Wedding!

Yes - lacking the funnel flip, she wouldn't fit under the bridges.

We took that trip way back in May of 99, and really enjoyed the Kiel Canal - it was a highlight of that itinerary.

We hope to do the Baltic again in 2005, but only if was can go through the Kiel Canal.

I believe Swan Hellenic's Minerva II and HAL's Prinsendam also will fit under the bridges of the Kiel.

Michael

THE FORWARD MAST HAS TO BE LOWERED AS WELL AT THE SAME TIME AND THEY MAKE QUITE A CEREMONY OF IT.MANY OF THE LOCALS COME OUT TO WATCH .APPARENTLY IT COST OVER $1M SO I TOO AM CURIOUS ABOUT REPLACEMENT THEORIES.

I RECALL THAT WHILST THE ROUTE IN TO NEW ORLEANS WAS BLOCKED EARLIER THIS YEAR THE DREAM WAS ABLE TO TAKE A DIFFERENT ROUTE DUE TO THE FUNNEL CAPABILITY AND GET UNDER A LOW BRIDGE THAT WAS UNPASSABLE FOR OTHER SHIPS

Norwegian Dream April 2003

soon to be on board .Thats the life

constellation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000

Many of us here in Bayou country are hoping that it is the Sun.

Norwegian Sun 03/14/04

Norwegian Sea 01

Norwegian Leeward 98

Sovereign of the Seas 94

Norwegian Majesty 94

Royal Majesty 92

Norwegian Westward 91

Nordic Empress 90

Archived