Nelsons dockyard/Beach

mistered1

Can someone advise is it possible to visit Nelsons dockyard a few hours then get to Valley church beach for some time there, this is what i would like to do when i visit in early November on Azura..but not sure if the distance and travelling time will pose a problem. Any idea anyone?

Can someone advise is it possible to visit Nelsons dockyard a few hours then get to Valley church beach for some time there, this is what i would like to do when i visit in early November on Azura..but not sure if the distance and travelling time will pose a problem. Any idea anyone?

You would have time to do both, as long as you get an early start. Taxis shouldn't be a problem, but for peace of mind, you might want to book one driver for the day, rather than looking for a taxi after each stop.

Valley Church is on the "pretty way" back from English Harbour, through the patch of rain forest known as Fig Tree Drive. It takes longer than the direct route to St Johns, so allow extra time for the return trip.

You would have time to do both, as long as you get an early start. Taxis shouldn't be a problem, but for peace of mind, you might want to book one driver for the day, rather than looking for a taxi after each stop.

Valley Church is on the "pretty way" back from English Harbour, through the patch of rain forest known as Fig Tree Drive. It takes longer than the direct route to St Johns, so allow extra time for the return trip.

Hi

I wanted to do both. I have read about getting the bus to Nelsons Dockyard but can I get a later bus to the beach so will I have to get a taxi

Thanks for all your help

Hi

I wanted to do both. I have read about getting the bus to Nelsons Dockyard but can I get a later bus to the beach so will I have to get a taxi

Thanks for all your help

There is no direct bus route between English Harbour and the Jolly Harbour/Valley Church area. You would have to go into St Johns and out again. Doing that, you would miss out Fig Tree Drive, which is an experience in itself. (That's where the zip line is by the way.)

Better to get a taxi from Nelson's Dockyard.

Thanks for that advise, I would be happy to share a taxi with another couple if i can drop on someone who wants to do the same on Antigua..or maybe another idea would be to book a trip with Gordon who i have heard is a great tour guide.

In the end and after the helpful advise given i decided to book a tour which would take us to Nelsons Dockyard etc..then take us to Valley Church beach..originally tried Gordon's Tours but no response..so booked with Lawrence who also has very good reviews. The reason in the end was the piece of mind aspect knowing we'l be in good hands with no worries about missing the ship..hopefully!!..lol..

Hi Severna, Lawrence has very good reviews as a tour guide and what made my mind up was after looking at the many lovely beaches on Antigua i was drawn to Church Valley which Lawrence takes his guests to after Nelsons Dockyard..just what i fancied doing so looking forward to that day so much. I think for piece of mind and being shown round by a reputable guide it beats going it alone every time..and it's at a reasonable price too. Have i sold him to you yet?..lol..

Hi Severna, Lawrence has very good reviews as a tour guide and what made my mind up was after looking at the many lovely beaches on Antigua i was drawn to Church Valley which Lawrence takes his guests to after Nelsons Dockyard..just what i fancied doing so looking forward to that day so much. I think for piece of mind and being shown round by a reputable guide it beats going it alone every time..and it's at a reasonable price too. Have i sold him to you yet?..lol..

Hi mistered

I fancied doing both Nelson Dockyard and Church Valley beach. Would you mind telling me about your tour, where he was taking you, were you allowed to spend as much time in each place as you wanted and if you dont mind what he is charging you

Thank for your help

Hi Nelderwoman, According to his website he takes you to Nelsons Dockyard,Clarence house,interpretation centre,Shirley Heights,Betty's Hope,Devil's Bridge, then onto Church Valley beach which takes in a scenic drive through the rain forest. All his reviews are very good, his response was very quick when i e-mailed him. He said the charge was 50 usd but we could have it for 45..then as with all tours there's a 7usd charge to gain entrance into the national park at N/Dockyard. I would say in my opinion that's a reasonable price considering his excellent reviews and the best bet to see and do what you want to do on Antigua. When your only at a place for the day time is obviously precious..so my advise would be to book a tour and play safe...lol..i did Antigua about 7 years ago and it was my favourite Island visited. anything else i may be able to help you with just ask away..lol..

Hi Nelderwoman, According to his website he takes you to Nelsons Dockyard,Clarence house,interpretation centre,Shirley Heights,Betty's Hope,Devil's Bridge, then onto Church Valley beach which takes in a scenic drive through the rain forest. All his reviews are very good, his response was very quick when i e-mailed him. He said the charge was 50 usd but we could have it for 45..then as with all tours there's a 7usd charge to gain entrance into the national park at N/Dockyard. I would say in my opinion that's a reasonable price considering his excellent reviews and the best bet to see and do what you want to do on Antigua. When your only at a place for the day time is obviously precious..so my advise would be to book a tour and play safe...lol..i did Antigua about 7 years ago and it was my favourite Island visited. anything else i may be able to help you with just ask away..lol..

Hi Many thanks for that mistered, I am going to email him right away, althoughI have just saw you would be happy to share with another couple. We will be in Antigua on Novemeber 7th sailing on the Azura, does that suit you by any chance, otherwise many thanks for all this info it has been great and I will contact him soon

Best regards and have a great trip

Hi Nelderwoman, we'r on the same cruise as yourselves..lol..i did say we don't mind sharing and i think Lawrence will probably have a minibus or 2..i should imagine he'l have quite a few booked for his tour of Antigua from the Azura so hope he can fit you in..i repeat what i said earlier,it sounds like Lawrence give's very good value for money, i was at first thinking of 'making our own way' but after weighing it all up decided a tour would be the best bet..it takes away all the uncertainty of 'what if this..what if that' happens..lol..and in the end a day on a lovely Island like Antigua can end up a bad memory instead of the opposite..agree?..so hope you manage to get in with him..im'e certain you won't regret it..lol..

Hi Nelderwoman, we'r on the same cruise as yourselves..lol..i did say we don't mind sharing and i think Lawrence will probably have a minibus or 2..i should imagine he'l have quite a few booked for his tour of Antigua from the Azura so hope he can fit you in..i repeat what i said earlier,it sounds like Lawrence give's very good value for money, i was at first thinking of 'making our own way' but after weighing it all up decided a tour would be the best bet..it takes away all the uncertainty of 'what if this..what if that' happens..lol..and in the end a day on a lovely Island like Antigua can end up a bad memory instead of the opposite..agree?..so hope you manage to get in with him..im'e certain you won't regret it..lol..

I have sent him off an email

If he shows up. He hasn't in the past and its posted on the BB but it has been buried in a larger thread. He has a very large bus when he has several people so when you go to Nelsons, you park way out.

Might I mention that there are dozens of taxi cabs waiting at the port,so a tour should cost only $20 per person.

No,its not that big.:) You should only need less than an hour.The guide assisted tour does not even last an hour.

No,its not that big.:) You should only need less than an hour.The guide assisted tour does not even last an hour.

Hi cruise, Do you think a driver from the pier would take us to Nelsons Dockyard,Clarence house, Shirleys Heights and Devil's Bridge, then onto Church Valley beach which takes in a scenic drive through the rain forest, and collect us again at the beach and back to pier all for $20 each.

My first trip to Antigua, are all these drivers safe, sorry this may sound silly but how would we know who to use.

Thanks for any info

Regards

Hi cruise, Do you think a driver from the pier would take us to Nelsons Dockyard,Clarence house, Shirleys Heights and Devil's Bridge, then onto Church Valley beach which takes in a scenic drive through the rain forest, and collect us again at the beach and back to pier all for $20 each.

My first trip to Antigua, are all these drivers safe, sorry this may sound silly but how would we know who to use.

Thanks for any info

Regards

When you get off the ship you walk into an area where many tours meet.Among those tours are people holding signs trying to get you to go with their tour.These guys holding the signs are just steering you to other drivers for a cut.

As you sort of look around there you will be approached but by the actual driver of the vehical.Tell them what you want and let them give you a price,then counter them what you want to pay. The island is very safe and I have been a dozen times both by ship and air.

The island is also very small and these tours offered by several mentioned on this board is the same tour CCL offers and if you get your own private tour,again its all the same.For your beach drop off,don't pay the driver until the return to be safe.

Another tip for you would be to be in no rush to get off the ship.As the bulk of the passengers get off,those that do not have any customers for a tour booked will be more than willing to deal as the groups passing by get thinner.

To answer your question about what you want to see for $20. I don't think so.Drop the devils bridge and then yes you have a good chance.

When you dock you must cross the island to get to 3 of your sites.The trip to the beach is on the way back thru the rain forest.

Devils bridge is out of the way and is not that great IMHO.

Hi, Cruisecruisecruise..that sounds good advise..would you say if you can hook up with another couple happy to do the same thing would be a lot cheaper than a tour?..what in your opinion would 4 sharing a taxi should be looking at paying for what Nelderwoman is suggesting?..lol..

Thanks again for info..

Hi, Cruisecruisecruise..that sounds good advise..would you say if you can hook up with another couple happy to do the same thing would be a lot cheaper than a tour?..what in your opinion would 4 sharing a taxi should be looking at paying for what Nelderwoman is suggesting?..lol..

Thanks again for info..

Hi mistered

Lawrence got back to me offering $40 each as well, he said we were sharing with another couple which I assume is yourselves. What do you reckon about sharing a taxi. Are you going to Jo's Meet and Greet maybe we could discuss it there. What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for info..

You can do the same tour as Gordon,Lawrence,and the ship for about $20 on your own in a taxi. There is a fee for the Dockyard,shirley heights,and a few other spots.I think it $7 0r $8 per person that is for ALL sights.So figure that fee on top of the tour.

Yes a group of 4 has a better chance of getting a tour for $20.If its only 2,the driver will try and get a few more,or you could be the few more they are looking for already.:)

If he shows up. He hasn't in the past and its posted on the BB but it has been buried in a larger thread. He has a very large bus when he has several people so when you go to Nelsons, you park way out.

Might I mention that there are dozens of taxi cabs waiting at the port,so a tour should cost only $20 per person.

When my sister and I inquired about taking a cab to and from Nelson's Dockyard, the price was considerably higher than $20 per person. I can't remember if it was around $60 round-trip or one way, but it was way higher than I expected. This was the price given to us at the taxi/tour stand right off the pier.

We ended up booking a three hour tour that included Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, and a few other stops - but no beach time. We paid $25 dollars each and there was four of us total.

I'll be looking for a reasonable way this year to get to Valley Church beach this spring- may take the bus to save money.

Archived