Why I Should've Spent More on Sunscreen and Less on Rum: A Fasc Review 10/1/11

lag2a1979

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, sorry for the delay...life (2 sick kids, pink eye, and throwing a massive Halloween party) have kept me off CC for the last few days. Back to the trip review!

Where were we??? Oh right, a soggy day in Nassau. When we woke up that morning, it was poooourrrring rain. We booked a beach day at Blue Lagoon (we had a credit to use from booking our trip through an on-line agency and it was a great deal since it included lunch!)

At breakfast, I pulled out our reservation info for the day and noticed that our "reservation" time was 8:30 am. It was about 7:40 when I saw this :eek:! How did I miss this oh-so important fact? We finished breakfast, flew back to the room to get changed and were off the ship in the pouring rain trying to get to the boat to take us to Paradise Island. I was so flustered that I forgot about taking the jittney for $2 a person and we took a cab instead. Once we got to the terminal, I found out that my panic was for nothing...the rain was so bad they didn't have any boats going out yet! By this time it was about 9:00 am. The check-in people for Blue Lagoon were so nice. They told us we were welcomed to wait and see if the rain cleared and leave at 10:30 or we could just get a refund. We decided to wait it out since we were soaking wet and would need another cab to get anywhere else.

While we were waiting, I talked to a very sweet retired couple that was there from the Sensation. They told me (and maybe Etchdreams can chime in on this) that Carnival had cancelled all of the excursions booked thru the ships because of the weather. They got their money back and were waiting for a cab to come and take them back to the ship. After they left, we met another couple from our ship that booked the dolphin excursion through the same agency we did. They decided to wait it out too and we past time quickly chatting.

Boy did we make the right call! Around 10:30, the boat came to get us. The weather was already clearing up. The sun was coming out and 20 minutes later, we were there.

While nothing compares to HMC, I will say that Blue Lagoon comes very close! In fact, if you have kids with you, it might even be better as there is a lot of water activities (trampolines, obstacle courses and all kinds of other stuff!) The water was calm and clear.

Once we got on the island, we found out that we and another pair of ladies were the only people there for the beach day!! The bartender greeted us, helped us pick out the best seats and then brought us complementary Bahama Mamas! She said that all of the boats in Nassau had cancelled excursions to the island. We literally had the whole place to ourselves.

P1040508-1.jpg

P1040510.jpg

I know this isn't the best pic of me, but I loved my floppy hat ($10 at the Fun Shop!) and you could see that about 10 minutes after we sat down, the sun was out! You can also tell that my face started to swell up because of the sun. The funny thing is I didn't even realize it at the time.

We lounged around, explored a little, and had a yummy lunch. We took the 2:00 boat back.

P1040513.jpg

If you go through the food pavillion, you can go to the "ocean" side of the island. Wow!!! That was the prettiest blue water I've ever seen. It was soooo windy but was fabulous to watch the water crash on the rocks.

P1040515.jpg

Hubby trying to get me to go in the water with him...I don't think so!

P1040518.jpg

The ride back was beautiful. Eventhough we didn't have anyone on the ride back that officially booked through one of the cruise ships, they took us right back to the boats. No taxi needed!

Here's some more pics from the trip back:

P1040523.jpg

P1040524.jpg

So, our soggy morning turned into another perfect (and less crowded!) day in paradise!

Archived