Beach info

auntdeedee

For anyone else with a really short stop in San Juan, take a taxi to the hotel district (specifically, the Wyndam El San Juan). You won't be able to cut through the hotel as they have a guard stationed checking for room keys, but if you tell the taxi driver to continue down the street to the corner where Burger King and Ponderosa are located, this street gives you direct access to the beach. It was safe, clean, and easy to catch a taxi back to the port after a few hours.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I don't know anything more about San Juan than the little area we explored. They did NOT have chairs/umbrellas where we were, but since we were only planning to be there for a couple of hours, we were happy with just laying down towels on the beach.

We were a bit nervous, and I couldn't find much information before we went, so I was just noting this as "we took at cab, we found a spot, it was safe and fun".

The big "landmark", if you will, is to have the cab drop you off at Burger King (by the Ponderosa), and walk across the street to the beach. This was right down the road from Wyndam's El San Juan, also down the street from the Intercontinental.

Just a note, though, that the beach was nothing like the other gorgeous Caribbean water... a bit of blue, but mostly Atlantic Ocean water with rougher waves and can't see the bottom of the ocean. Still refreshing :)

The last night I asked everyone at our table the favorite part of vacation, and one person answered this day in San Juan as it was such a nice way to end our cruise. I agree--I'm really glad we did this instead of a tour of the town.

• 3 weeks later...

There are chairs for rent on Isla Verde Beach. If you get onto the beach where the OP recommends, go right on the beach towards the big resort hotels (Intercontinental, El San Juan, etc.) and just before you get to them there are 2 places to rent chairs and umbrellas. The place that is right in front of the buildings (condo complex called Coral Beach) that are right next door (literally right next door) to the Intercontinental rents them for $3/chair and I think $10 and umbrella. My grandmother owns a condo in the Coral Beach complexe and we rent chairs from them every single day while on vacation visiting her.

Archived