Our experience: Cave tubing with VIV tours (Slightly disappointed)

lissakinz

When we booked with VIV tours they had a special going on where you can save about 20% so it came out to $44/pp. I compared VIV tour with other companies' tours and decided that they had a good deal. However, after we toured the caves I found out that lunch was NOT included. When I presented the printout that said that lunch was complimentary, I was told that because we paid the "special" price the lunch was not provided. No where on their site did it mention that the "special" % off really meant no lunch. To me a % off means you get the full benefits, but at a reduced cost. I told the company that they should make this clear on their website if no lunch is really what they meant. I just looked at the website and it looks like they corrected the issue so hopefully no one else will be unpleasantly surprised on their tour.

Other than that little mix up, we had a pleasant time. Our group was only 8 people and we had great 2 guides (Kareem and Fabulous). On our hour or so ride to the caves Fabulous talked about Belize and some history pointing out things along the way as well as passing around some visuals like maps, postcards, and pictures of Belize money in the van. Our walk through the "forest" was informative and fun. They pointed out plants and different trees along with some crawly critters including termites (Kareem informed us that they taste minty) and a big hairy black spider. We never felt rushed and walked very leisurely. Other tour groups rushed by us like the caves were going to close soon.

When we got to the cave opening they clipped our tubes together so we didn't have to hook our feet under armpits like other tour groups had to. We wish that we could have floated on our own, but I guess for liability reasons they had us in groups of 4, each with a guide. The headlamps that they provided weren't very bright so it was still hard to see in the caves. Each guide had a flashlight that they would use to point out unique rock formations.

They gave us ample time to change or get ready before and after the tour. We were able to leave our stuff in the van while we were floating down the cave system. There were a few local vendors selling snacks and drinks or even water shoe rentals where the van was parked.

All in all it was an okay experience, but we wouldn't do it again.

It sounds like your experience was very similar to ours except that we knew we were not getting lunch from them. It is unfortunate that their site led you to expect that, especially if you had a printout that showed it was included. What I had read on the site when we booked was that they do not focus on lunch, but instead their focus is on the tour and especially the cave tubing. Some companies will shorten the float in order to allow time for lunch. I figured I was eating enough on the ship and I would prefer to have more time tubing than spending time eating a meal that I may or may not like. We had a big breakfast and bought some snacks from the local vendors to tide us over.

Otherwise, your description seems to fit exactly what we did; we only had Kareem. We loved every aspect of it. The city/countryside tour was fascinating and the hike was very informative. Several groups passed us too. The river and the caves were beautiful and the float was peaceful.

So it is a good warning, if lunch is what you're looking for, don't book with VIV. They are about the same price as many outfits that include lunch. But instead of lunch you get nicer tubes that have a headrest and clip together, and possibly a longer float. It was our favorite excursion.

Great info, thanks.

I am currently booked with BZ, but am constantly tossing the VIV thought in my head .....

*I am not too excited to sit and eat; I KNOW internally I am going to fret about the tender time*

We are doing the "cavetubingrus" w/ David in Dec2/08/2011. You might want to look it up. We too are fretting about tender time. David is very good about e-mailing me back w/ any questions I have. There was also a very good review on his tour on the Carnival funville forum.

When do you go? Hope you have a great time.

Archived