Nightly Diamond/Diamond Plus event

Oh how times have changed .... ;)

Diamond clubs were introduced with Freedom of the Seas as a larger area for Diamond members to enjoy a full bar. Then Diamonds were kicked out of the concierge lounge because of overcrowding and the desire to better cater to suite guests. Because of the backlash that ensued, the Diamond Event was started which was limited drink service on all ships that do not have a Diamond Lounge. Granted, for the ships with a Concierge Lounge (Radiance and Voyager-class), this was not an upgrade over what used to be, but it was something. However, for Sovereign and Vision-class ships, there was now an "event" when before there was absolutely nothing for Diamond passengers.

As it seems to me, as RCI is upgrading their ships, they are adding Diamond Lounges (and thus having a full-bar as opposed to the Diamond Event). I think they are trying to improve it. I also expect that the Diamond Event will never be improved on the Monarch and Majesty (while they last in the fleet) because they are the "bargain" options in the fleet.

Oh how times have changed .... ;)

I also expect that the Diamond Event will never be improved on the Monarch and Majesty (while they last in the fleet) because they are the "bargain" options in the fleet.

I'm not sure if this is a valid point or not but I am paying a heck-a-va lot more for my Oasis cruise than I have every paid for any cruise in the past. Could it be the cost of the cruise somehow subsidizes the Diamond Lounge?

A little abut me... made Diamond back in the day when that opened the door to the CL. Well we all know what happened next... they created a new class, Diamond Minus (Minus the CL;)) and the door to the CL was shut:mad:. Endured a number of Diamond events (I know tough duty but...)and then I took a 3 day on the Monarch. That was the nicest 3 Diamond events I ever had. Senior officers from the hotel staff would circulate as well as the cruise director and chat you up. Really seemed liked they cared and I was really impressed. Bottom line, I think that the Diamond Event on ships like the Monarch have been an improvement.

I'm not sure if this is a valid point or not but I am paying a heck-a-va lot more for my Oasis cruise than I have every paid for any cruise in the past. Could it be the cost of the cruise somehow subsidizes the Diamond Lounge?

I think there is something to the fact that the pricier ships have tended to have a DL ... if you wanted that service, you had to pay a Freedom/Oasis fare (and now Radiance, etc).

I will agree that the smaller ships I've been on have had much better Diamond Events than the larger ones. On the Rhapsody, officers, cruise director, etc, stopped by.

Archived