No Kids in CL but Adults at DreamWorks Breakfast & Getting Face-Painting??

Maybe you were joking but what on earth does a congressmen have to do with this issue? They have no power in this situation and really, don't they have other things to worry about, like, the economy?

Uhhh yeah, that part was a joke. :D I was being a little dramatic. I tend to do that around here. ;) I didn't think anyone would actually believe I would call a congressman. But I guess there is always one in the bunch.

*LOL*

When my daughter was little she made me take her through "Its a Small World " at WDW THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THREE !!!!!! IN A ROW !!!!! THREE

The boys didn't want to go so my wife took them on Space Mountain, but my DD just loved it so much and was afraid to go on Space Mountain. So I took her THREE TIMES!!!!!

Oh I am nominating you for FATHER OF THE YEAR! :eek: I could only make it through that ride ONCE! And I thanked the MERCIFUL DISNEY GODS that it was CLOSED FOR REPAIRS (woohoo! :D) on our 4 other Disney trips!

I am in awe! You deserve some serious awards for riding that mind numbing thing 3 times! :eek:

And MY LITTLE PONY???? Oh My! You are my new hero!

Edited by crusinmama06

Thank you :)

Hey you do it all for the kids , thats what makes it fun.

I remember taking 4 little girls to see MY Little Pony Live on stage !!!!!!!!! OY!!!! :)

They could have at least set up an OTB booth so the adults could have bet on a Trifecta :) *LOL*

This made me smile! Could the difference of opinion here be between those that have kids and those that don't? Parents are used to putting the kids first and it becomes second nature. I don't care if adults want to go to the character breakfast but I wish they would accomodate the kids first. Not everyone knows to book far in advance, especially the first time cruisers. Otherwise, I'm fine with adults booking all the character breakfasts and face paintings and pets at sea and anything else they want. Makes the ship less crowded in the areas that I'll be in!

This made me smile! Could the difference of opinion here be between those that have kids and those that don't? Parents are used to putting the kids first and it becomes second nature. I don't care if adults want to go to the character breakfast but I wish they would accomodate the kids first. Not everyone knows to book far in advance, especially the first time cruisers. Otherwise, I'm fine with adults booking all the character breakfasts and face paintings and pets at sea and anything else they want. Makes the ship less crowded in the areas that I'll be in!

Seeing as I have kids (as I have stated many times now) I don't think that is the difference. I have explained previously in great detail how I would handle this situation were my 5 year old going with us and what expectations I personally have for him being able to attend. Kids come first in many cases (like decisions about what I do) but not always. My kids are not spoiled brats that get everything they want, we do tell them no to many things. This is a vacation with many other options and activities available.

As for the parent that tolerated taking their child through something they found annoying 4 times... well I simply wouldn't have done that. I would have let him go once, maybe twice and then said no after that and offered him different options. It would have been made clear to him after the 2nd trip through that there would be no more. Vacations are for the entire family (that includes the parents) not just the kids. You do have the right as the adult to say no to them. If you choose to do it for them repeatedly then it wasn't a sacrafice but simply what you wanted to do.

No one is more entitled than any other to go to this event. Children or no children... everyone has the same opportunities to make the reservation and try to ensure that they will get to go.

Uhhh yeah, that part was a joke. :D I was being a little dramatic. I tend to do that around here. ;) I didn't think anyone would actually believe I would call a congressman. But I guess there is always one in the bunch.

Oh I am nominating you for FATHER OF THE YEAR! :eek: I could only make it through that ride ONCE! And I thanked the MERCIFUL DISNEY GODS that it was CLOSED FOR REPAIRS (woohoo! :D) on our 4 other Disney trips!

I am in awe! You deserve some serious awards for riding that mind numbing thing 3 times! :eek:

And MY LITTLE PONY???? Oh My! You are my new hero!

I have to agree . Over the years My Uncle Vito has bought several Congressmen, as well as Senators and they are far too busy for things like children getting into character breakfasts *LOL* (man lets see how far over the edge this drives that poster :))

Thank you for your kind words But my kids are at the ages where grandchildren will be along in the next few years . And Grandpa will more than get his satisfaction when those little darlings open up the drum sets and 5000 piece Lego sets I fully intend to buy them *LOL*

Seeing as I have kids (as I have stated many times now) I don't think that is the difference. I have explained previously in great detail how I would handle this situation were my 5 year old going with us and what expectations I personally have for him being able to attend. Kids come first in many cases (like decisions about what I do) but not always. My kids are not spoiled brats that get everything they want, we do tell them no to many things. This is a vacation with many other options and activities available.

As for the parent that tolerated taking their child through something they found annoying 4 times... well I simply wouldn't have done that. I would have let him go once, maybe twice and then said no after that and offered him different options. It would have been made clear to him after the 2nd trip through that there would be no more. Vacations are for the entire family (that includes the parents) not just the kids. You do have the right as the adult to say no to them. If you choose to do it for them repeatedly then it wasn't a sacrafice but simply what you wanted to do.

No one is more entitled than any other to go to this event. Children or no children... everyone has the same opportunities to make the reservation and try to ensure that they will get to go.

Letting a child enjoy a ride a few extra times or sitting through a show is hardly going to turn a child into a spoiled brat. Believe me I say no to my kids plenty . But sometimes it's pretty harmless and kind of fun (It's a Small World aside ) to say yes

Thank you for your kind words But my kids are at the ages where grandchildren will be along in the next few years . And Grandpa will more than get his satisfaction when those little darlings open up the drum sets and 5000 piece Lego sets I fully intend to buy them *LOL*

Ooohhh yes - PAYBACK for It's a Small World! Send the drum kit HOME with the grandkids! :D I love it!

Letting a child enjoy a ride a few extra times or sitting through a show is hardly going to turn a child into a spoiled brat. Believe me I say no to my kids plenty . But sometimes it's pretty harmless and kind of fun (It's a Small World aside ) to say yes

Agree! Just ignore all of the ridiculous ramblings that are trying to justify taking 3 reservation spots. If someone is spoiled, it certainly isn't the children. ;)

I don't care to what age group RCI gears an activity, if an activity does not have age restriction, it should be "first come, first serve". Nor do I care, why some adults would want to participate in those activities - I am not a thought police and it really is none of my business.

If an adult without kids registers for a breakfast ahead a family with kids, then he/she should not be held responsible for children disappointment, children parents should! Parents are responsible to register in timely manner (even if it means monitoring RCI web-site on a daily basis to catch when the slots open up) - just like they are responsible for providing other things to their children, such as food and clothing.

Character breakfast, face painting, balloon twisting are not "life and death" situations and therefore society as whole does not have an obligation to ensure that kids get to participate in those activities, that is what kids have parents for.

You know that a post like this is going to go over so many heads. A voice of reason and many will not get it.

I find it laughable that RCI would allow someone to book THREE character breakfasts on one sailing. :eek: I wouldn't even take my KIDS to three character breakfasts on one sailing (would need some serious drugs to make myself sit through three breakfasts)

But REALLY - if these breakfasts are being booked solid and the kids aren't getting into them - and MY kids were one of them - I would be screaming from the rooftops. ;)

There is noooo way that would fly. RCI would have phone calls, facebook messages, emails and a letter from my congressman because BOTH of my children would have a spot at least ONE breakfast if I booked a Dreamworks ship. Ohhh heck no! :eek:

Please don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. LOL :)

*LOL*

When my daughter was little she made me take her through "Its a Small World " at WDW THREE TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THREE !!!!!! IN A ROW !!!!! THREE

The boys didn't want to go so my wife took them on Space Mountain, but my DD just loved it so much and was afraid to go on Space Mountain. So I took her THREE TIMES!!!!!

"It's a world of hope" .....(take me now all merciful God )

"It's a world of fear" ....(Please send me the white light to run to)

"Its a world of laughter" ...(just take me now right here on this ride)

"Its a world of tears" ...(You got that one right Brother)

But in spite of all that :) ...The kids should be considered first in booking these things

LMBO! I love it! You are definitely a good dad! :D

I am with you, I keep sitting here wondering if I am missing out on some fun not having breakfast with someone who is dressed up like Shrek and alot of noisy children of which none is mine. Nope, can't even imagine it.

Now, I have done Disney World and a Disney cruise with my daughter and have participated with the characters and I enjoyed it only because it made my daughter happy. Otherwise no way no how.

Well good for you. Who are you to decide or even care if another person wants to participate in this type event? Royal Caribbean has this event open for all ages. After reading some of the posts on here I think some of you would be better suited for Holland America where you all can join in on the walker races.:rolleyes:

Edited by Jumbiecruiser

I respect your opinion (really) but I have a completely different attitude. For me, it is all about the kids. I don't get as much enjoyment out of an activity as I do watching my kids enjoy the activity. We have always planned our family vacations around activities that our kids will enjoy and have no regrets. My youngest is now 18. All three of the kids still vacation with us and we now enjoy the same activities. I would (and have) done things that I have not enjoyed over and over again (and over) just to see that smile on my child's face.

This post is the first that I have read on this board about anyone not being able to reserve a space for the character breakfast in almost a year since the Allure introduced this event. If this were an issue we would have read more complaints on this board. I know that everyone who cruises does not post on Cruise Critic but if this were a bigger issue then Royal Caribbean would be addressing it and we would be reading more complaints.

Edited by Jumbiecruiser

This post is the first that I have read on this board about anyone not being able to reserve a space for the character breakfast in almost a year since the Allure introduced this event. If this were an issue we would have read more complaints on this board. I know that everyone who cruises does not post on Cruise Critic but if this were a bigger issue then Royal Caribbean would be addressing it and we would be reading more complaints.

Hey, if we wanted common sense, we would have asked for it! Excellent point.

Please don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. LOL :)

LMBO! I love it! You are definitely a good dad! :D

Thank you very much :) I will forward yours and the other posts saying the same thing to all my kids . They need to be reminded once in a while *LOL*

My parents always took us to fun places as kids . Back then it wasn't as fancy stuff as today (or expensive :() but it was a big treat for us and we looked so forward to it.

Interesting that the parents on this thread are those acting the most childish. What a great example to set for ones kids.

No, what is most interesting is that you forgot to use the {rolleyes} smilie that you use in most of your posts. I much prefer the :) :D

This post is the first that I have read on this board about anyone not being able to reserve a space for the character breakfast in almost a year since the Allure introduced this event.

Actually, no it's not. I went to a meeting with RCI about 2 months ago and was told that the biggest complaint about Oasis/Allure was that there is not enough space for the things that are being booked in advance. And to tell everyone to book as soon as those things open online and not to wait to get onboard. Which means the 60 day window.

I posted about it after the meeting. I came here and told everyone to book everything they wanted to do/see at 60 days.

Edited by crusinmama06

No, what is most interesting is that you forgot to use the {rolleyes} smilie that you use in most of your posts. I much prefer the :) :D

Didn't know that you stalked my posts. Scary stuff.

Actually, no it's not. I went to a meeting with RCI about 2 months ago and was told that the biggest complaint about Oasis/Allure was that there is not enough space for the things that are being booked in advance. And to tell everyone to book as soon as those things open online and not to wait to get onboard. Which means the 60 day window.

I posted about it after the meeting. I came here and told everyone to book everything they wanted to do/see at 60 days.

It is well known that a person has to pre book most of the activities on the Oasis class ships. Not new news to most.

Interesting that the parents on this thread are those acting the most childish. What a great example to set for ones kids.

Parents acting childish because they hope their young children can attend an event that is geared toward three- to seven-year olds? :confused:

Or is it the adults without kids who are acting childish because they want to attend an event geared toward TODDLERS even if it means that actual toddlers can't attend.

I think you've got your logic turned around.

I've followed the discussion regarding children in the Concierge Lounge, where it seems like the vast majority of posters think that children do not belong in the CL. I have young kids, ages 7, 7 and 3, and I wouldn't think to bring my kids into the CL unless I was running in quickly to ask the concierge a quick question and my wife was not around to watch the kids. I wouldn't think of bringing them in during the cocktail hours. There are simply times and places for certain things, and the cocktail hour isn't the time and place for kids.

Having said that, when we went on the Allure in March, we tried to reserve spots for my wife and me and our three young kids for the DreamWorks breakfast. We tried making the reservations shortly after reservations first opened up online. But we could only get space for my wife and our 7 year old daughter. Her twin brother and younger brother were out of luck--no character breakfast for them.

But at the breakfast, there were full tables of adults--and adults only. I'm sure those adults were simply trying to relive childhood memories. I like reliving childhood memories too. Yet, in a limited space situation, by whole tables of adults going to a children's breakfast and reliving childhood memories, they are robbing actual children of experiencing childhood memories in the first place.

The same goes for facepainting. The line for facepainting on Allure was very long, and there were adults (sans children) in line. Again, I get the desire to re-experience childhood, but when young children don't have the patience to wait in line for 55 minutes to get their faces painted, you are robbing children of experiencing childhood FOR THE FIRST TIME.

So I am curious if there are people on the board who agree BOTH that children don't belong in the concierge lounge (an adult area) and that adults don't belong in the DreamWorks breakfast, face-painting line, etc. (children's activities). I sure do.

So let's hear what you think.

I love kids, I really do. and my husband and I love to see families cruising together. We love to cruise with our grand-kids. but that said, I truly hate to be annoyed by children in the concierge lounge or the diamond lounge. There is no room for children in there and it certainly is no place for it.

As for the character breakfasts---folks pay an awful lot to take their families on these cruise so that their kids can have this experience, and certainly the kids really look forward to it. I definitely feel that it should be a kids only place and for parents with kids. It there is space left over, than folks without kids could be admitted. It could be sort of like access to the shows on board Oasis and Allure. It all the seats aren't full ten minutes before others can be admitted.

Step up RCCL or there is going to be a lot of unhappy parents on these cruises as adults hog all the space and your guests with kids loose out!!!!

It is well known that a person has to pre book most of the activities on the Oasis class ships. Not new news to most.

You need to finish the thought... Not news to most repeat cruisers. I'm quite sure it is news to people who have never cruised before, many of those families, who are being pulled into cruising because of the fun family options on RCCL. They think they can board the ship and start setting up what they want to do not knowing that they missed out on the chance 50-60 days before they ever set foot on the ship.

You need to finish the thought... Not news to most repeat cruisers. I'm quite sure it is news to people who have never cruised before, many of those families, who are being pulled into cruising because of the fun family options on RCCL. They think they can board the ship and start setting up what they want to do not knowing that they missed out on the chance 50-60 days before they ever set foot on the ship.

Then their TA did not do their job. The minute you log into their website and input your cruise (if you did not do it online yourself) it becomes obvious. I originally booked through the phone with RCI and they told me to go online. Then I transfered it to an online TA and they did the same. I didn't know about show reservations until I booked and was told about it and then saw the options on the website.

Parents acting childish because they hope their young children can attend an event that is geared toward three- to seven-year olds? :confused:

Or is it the adults without kids who are acting childish because they want to attend an event geared toward TODDLERS even if it means that actual toddlers can't attend.

I think you've got your logic turned around.

No not at all. The event is geared for people of all ages even though I have no interest in it. Just because you didn't book soon enough does not make it my problem.