Gem vs Jewel

scfa99

Trying decide between the Gem and Jewel. Both are the same itinerary, category cabin and price, just sail on different days.

What are the pros and cons between the two?

Anything that puts one over the top?

Do both still have spinnaker lounge?

Thanks in advance.

For what it's worth. My boss went on the Jewel about 6 weeks ago. He said the crew was borderline surly. They met a couple that had dinner with the captain and said the captain might have said 5 words during the whole dinner.

I was on the Gem late June and the crew was fantastic. They really seemed to enjoy what they were doing.

Take teh Gem.

@scfa99-

We've been on both a couple of times and like them both. If you plan to have some meals in the Garden Café (buffet), I'd recommend the Gem. The seating is nicer than the Jewel's, not so 'industrial' and stark.

I'm not sure of your dates, but please be aware that in March 2012, St. Patrick's Day is on Saturday 3/17 and there is a foot race in NYC on either Sunday, 3/18 or 3/24, 2012. They close the West Side Drive for this event and cars are not allowed to access the pier until the race is over. We experienced this 2 years ago and it was a nightmare for our driver to pick us up after our cruise.

I'm not sure of your dates, but please be aware that in March 2012, St. Patrick's Day is on Saturday 3/17 and there is a foot race in NYC on either Sunday, 3/18 or 3/24, 2012. They close the West Side Drive for this event and cars are not allowed to access the pier until the race is over. We experienced this 2 years ago and it was a nightmare for our driver to pick us up after our cruise.

Good to know! :)

There are many many threads on this topic if you scroll thru a few pages or do a search.

Thanks I did perform a search, nothing was returned that specifically compared the 2 ships. I'd like to know what the differences are, both pros and cons from people that have had the fortune of sailing both ships.

Thanks I did perform a search, nothing was returned that specifically compared the 2 ships. I'd like to know what the differences are, both pros and cons from people that have had the fortune of sailing both ships.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1477060&highlight=gem+jewel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1451514&highlight=gem+jewel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1449549&highlight=gem+jewel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1424850&highlight=gem+jewel

This may help:)

The destination, Bermuda, is the deal maker. The residents are nicer and the beaches are cleaner. Also, Sinan, the CD, is a high energy type who is also affable. The Gem has a rock climbing wall and bowling alley. Unfortunately, Gem is not going to Bermuda next year. The Star does the Bermuda run next year.

Was on the Gem on the 6/5/2011 cruise.

The Jewel has a very good CD, Big Ken, and their shows are top rated, Modal Magic, Dave Naster, the funny comedian, Rosie from Fire and Ice-talented singer who belts out Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, and Mo-town hits, while dancing throughout the lounge, Incanto-the acrobatic duo, and last but not least, Le Cirque Bijou-high energy acrobatic, dance and singing show. I rate the Jewel's shows a bit higher than the Gem. The buffet stations are more separate from each other so you don't have to be on a long line to get food. The Jewel does the Alaska run starting in March, 2012.

Was on the 10/8/2011 cruise to Canada

If you are taking small children, Nickelodeon on the Jewel is very, very good.

Either way-either ship is tops. Their individual staffs were excellent, cooperative and flexible. The food was very good on both ships.

I've been on both .... I was not happy with the Jewel, mainly because the crew walked around with long faces the entire time (except for our cabin steward). On all of my cruises, I have never seen a more unfriendly crew, especialy in the buffet area. No one ever smiled or even said hello. They moved at a snails pace and wiped around the things on the table instead of moving them. I blame the manager for such behavior..

The Gem's crew was wonderful and we are considering sailing on her again in March..

I've been on both .... I was not happy with the Jewel, mainly because the crew walked around with long faces the entire time (except for our cabin steward). On all of my cruises, I have never seen a more unfriendly crew, especialy in the buffet area. No one ever smiled or even said hello. They moved at a snails pace and wiped around the things on the table instead of moving them. I blame the manager for such behavior..

The Gem's crew was wonderful and we are considering sailing on her again in March..

It must be how each person sees things. I could have written your words about the GEM last year lol. This year we are trying the Jewel and hoping the staff will be happier. Although nothing was so bad we wouldn't have been on the GEM again this year if the Jewel was not available :D. I went on the Dawn last summer and the entire crew was amazing and so friendly.

I think we all see things differently so its good to tell about our experiences but each person needs to figure out who sounds the most like them to decide about a review.

I just got off the Gem today and you couldn't go wrong booking her. I have never had so much interaction with the crew; everyone was so attentive and friendly' especially the assistant Hotel Director, Jenny Lim. I had my best cruise ever.

It must be how each person sees things. I could have written your words about the GEM last year lol. This year we are trying the Jewel and hoping the staff will be happier. Although nothing was so bad we wouldn't have been on the GEM again this year if the Jewel was not available :D. I went on the Dawn last summer and the entire crew was amazing and so friendly.

I think we all see things differently so its good to tell about our experiences but each person needs to figure out who sounds the most like them to decide about a review.

I too was on the Dawn last summer (2010) and could't agree more! I loved it. Will be on the Jewel in 5 days...can't wait!

I just got off the Gem today and you couldn't go wrong booking her. I have never had so much interaction with the crew; everyone was so attentive and friendly' especially the assistant Hotel Director, Jenny Lim. I had my best cruise ever.

I'm soooo glad to hear this. We leave Sunday.:D

I was on both Gem and Jewel this year and I liked both ships. There are a few physical differences. For example, Gem has the Bliss Lounge in the back and the shops in the mid-section. Jewel has the Fyzz Lounge in the mid-section and the large Galleria shop in the back. There is no rock climbing wall on the Jewel but there is on the Gem.

The programming is somewhat different as well. For example, when I was on Jewel, they had Nickelodeon but no Second City. A few months earlier on Gem, it was the reverse. (They told me that Nickelodeon is going fleetwide so they may have it now on Gem). The shows were also different.

• 2 weeks later...
What's with all the Jewel hate in this thread?

Makes me worried about our trip in January.

Everyone has their own specific reasons for prefering one over the other. When you sail her and the Gem you will be able to also note the things you prefer as well and you may love the Jewel over the Gem.

Oh oh..Here comes a song.....

To each his ooownn. That's my philosophyyyy. I don't know what's right for you! And you don't know what right for meeee. Shoo bop badabop do your thing...

Ok...that's enough..:) Thank you very much (bowing):p:D

Trying decide between the Gem and Jewel. Both are the same itinerary, category cabin and price, just sail on different days.

What are the pros and cons between the two?

Anything that puts one over the top?

Do both still have spinnaker lounge?

Thanks in advance.

I have been on both and both were great. It has been awhile for the G

Jewel but it was great then. Was on the Gem in May and I must say the staff was stellar!:D

The Gem is newer & has more bells & whistles, including bowling & bluiss lounge. I hate the loud colors & vibrant purple & lime green decor. The Jewel has calmer tones & wood.

They are very similar.

One has more Nicolodean stuff but I don't remember which one. I'd avoid that one if you don't have kids.

Also one usually departs Saturday & the other on Sunday. Pick the one that is more convenient.

Archived