AoS S. Carib Port Safety and Location Questions

My family will be traveling on the 4/24 AOS, and I'm trying arrange things for everyone's port days (wife and I will be diving most of the time). We'll be visiting these ports:

St Thomas

St Maarten

Barbados

Antigua

St Lucia

For each port, I'd like to know the following:

1) Is there a shopping or "tourist friendly" area within walking distance of the dock?

2) Is it easy to get a taxi?

3) Are there any safety concerns on this island?

We've been to St. Thomas, so I know that shopping is right off the dock, and no one should be concerned about walking around on his or her own. Can you guys help me out with the other islands? We've been to places like Roatan at which I wouldn't suggest walking around on your own . . .

THANKS!

Steve in Philly

DarkOne "Steve" .... What a great itinerary you have!!!!

Since you mentioned "shopping" as a priority, you're going to be soooooooooo happy in both St.Thomas and St.Maarten -- both are a shoppers paradise! :p

Barbados will be a good one for you too! There's a HUGE shopping mall right at the cruise ship pier! (Can't miss or avoid it -- it's the only way out) :rolleyes: ...

We had a fun time in Barbados this time just going to the beach: Review: The BOATYARD ~OnOurOwn~ (click here)

Antigua pretty much depends on your docking location. The town pier is no problem and the other cruise pier has a shuttle into town. The beaches are wonderful in Antigua!

In St. Lucia we just took a taxi to the beach: Reduit Beach Review (click here)

If you haven't already, you'd probably really enjoy going to the Ports of Call Section and checking under each of your port stops.

Hope this helps a little. Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

In St Maarten the main shopping area (for the Dutch side) is right there where the tender drops you off...starts at the dock, goes right up to the main street,and then in either direction. Very safe... We rented a car at the dock and drove to the French side (very easy to do), and I found the shopping over there to be more varied. The Dutch side was all about jewelry and the usual duty free items...

... and since my partner is a diamond merchant, I can tell you the jewelry bargains there aren't really bargains..you can get the same prices in the states by shopping carefully, plus a guarantee/warranty and proper cert.

Have fun.. it's a great itinerary!

Archived