TB Rays then a cruise...Where to spend 3 days

joinitaly

We are combining an Opening day ball game at Tropicana Field in Tampa (St.Petersburg) with a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale 3 days later. Where are there more things to do (without a rental car) and which is city is cheaper to stay in. Any ideas? Go Rays!

Both are cheap imo. I got three hotels now in Tamps, starting at $45 for hyatt place on priceline. $52 on hotwire for sheraton suites, 3 1/2 stars, but hyatt place actually has a little better reviews. $58 booking direct for another, nothing special.

I got one at $37 in FTL, nothing special for sure, but very cheap!!! It has a free shuttle to the port. check out lastminutetravel for some super deals on hotels.

A lot depends on when you go. thanksgiving to easter, the prices on hotels will be slightly up, though all but one of the above are during high season in florida.

Im spending a extra day in Tampa and would do Busch Gardens if I wasnt solo. I am going to look at the after cruise ship excursions offered and decide.

Tampa is probably cheaper to stay in but Ft. Lauderdale has so many, many options for sightseeing if you have 3 days.

In Tampa you can spend some time in Ybor City. It's quite ecletic and has some cheaper dining options. There's a free trolley in the area to take you from Ybor City over to the dock area and back.

In Ft. Lauderdale you can grab the Sun Trolley from many of the hotels near the port that will take you to shopping areas and the beach or you can buy a pass on the water taxi and spend some memorable trips floating along the canals and seeing homes (and yahts) of the rich and famous.

Dianne

I really enjoyed the time we have spent in Clearwater Beach and St Pete Beach (a week at a time on separate trips) and would gladly spend a couple or three days there before a cruise. My only exposure to Ft Lauderdale has been arriving noon-ish the day before several cruises. I prefer the gulf coast myself, but if I was cruising from Ft Lauderdale, I would probably prefer to spend my pre-cruise days there. Too bad the Marlins don't open their new ballpark until after you leave on the cruise.

Oh, what a great idea. Our nephew plays for the Rays and we also plan on going to Fl for his starting pitch. I would suggest staying in Tampa, close to Yorba City or Busch Gardens. I use Priceline or Hotwire for the best prices. You didn't say how you were getting to FLL, but most hotels have shuttles for venues within a couple of miles. Have a great time....and....yes....Go Rays!

If you are going to drive, you could head south from Tampa and stay in Marco Island for a couple days. It's pretty much straight across the state from Ft. Lauderdale, and you can easily make the drive the morning of the cruise.

Marco Island is a hidden gem, and even though some people have heard of it, most don't realize how great that little island really is!

We always stay at a Marriott there, and it's worth it! There are lots of Villa options too, so if you are traveling with more than a couple people, that might save some $ too.

Archived