Missing Grand Cayman

kwbound

I doubt the size of the cruise ship mattered so much as the size of the tender boats.

I take the captain at his word. He is the expert, and if he felt it was too dangerous, then it probably was.

Someone above mentioned that the water excursions were canceled even though their ship did make port, so I would've been out of luck anyway since I was scheduled to go snorkeling.

Overall, I thought this cruise was a little disappointing because of the weather. Not just in GC. That first night was awful with the rocking! And most days were really too chilly to enjoy the pool or the waterpark. In spite of the great price, I will probably not book another November/December cruise.

makes sense, yes. The warmth on deck will be a factor when travelling late Fall through to Spring anyhow. Two things come into play though: First, if a front comes through any time of year, it will be very windy to do anything on board. As for warmth, the closer we go to GC on our boat, the warmer the air temps were. Even though it was windy, it was tolerable as the air temp was noticeably warmer than it was the further West we were moving. I would imagine January and February would be the most challenging times to travel, not so much early December or late November...

I doubt the size of the cruise ship mattered so much as the size of the tender boats.

I take the captain at his word. He is the expert, and if he felt it was too dangerous, then it probably was.

Someone above mentioned that the water excursions were canceled even though their ship did make port, so I would've been out of luck anyway since I was scheduled to go snorkeling.

Overall, I thought this cruise was a little disappointing because of the weather. Not just in GC. That first night was awful with the rocking! And most days were really too chilly to enjoy the pool or the waterpark. In spite of the great price, I will probably not book another November/December cruise.

Oh, I agree. We were on a 5-day and at least two of those days I was really seasick because of the rocking. Even some of the staff members admitted to feeling a bit queasy. Our other stop was in Ocho Rios and it pretty much rained the whole day. Perhaps it was just bad timing this year.

I just came from GC this weekend. The wind was 25knots and so we had to dock on the other side of the island, as did all the other ships. It was fine, just had to change plans a little bit, still got to do my excursion too because I booked privately, Carnival cancelled all their excursions and people were really mad that I got to do the Stingray trip and they didn't.

I can't imagine it could be so bad they would skip it altogether.

Book with Native Way Watersports. You don't have to pay till after the trip is over and they will pick you up where all the other excursions pick you up. They will be standing there with a sign like everybody else.

JC and Moses are really nice kids and gave us a really good time even with the rough weather.

Note: Bring a bottle of water if you drank heavily the night before your excursion, they couldn't give me enough.

What about early January...We're going then and I'm concerned:confused:

We've cruised in January and it was gorgeous, BUT it was a Southern Caribbean cruise. The Western we did in Jauanry was awful weather wise. Cold, windy and cloudy. So much so that we only spent one day outside (out of the seven night cruise) at the pool. We will never cruise in January again unless it's a Southern. We just prefer the almost guaranteed perfect weather of early May.

We've cruised in January and it was gorgeous, BUT it was a Southern Caribbean cruise. The Western we did in Jauanry was awful weather wise. Cold, windy and cloudy. So much so that we only spent one day outside (out of the seven night cruise) at the pool. We will never cruise in January again unless it's a Southern. We just prefer the almost guaranteed perfect weather of early May.

We're going on January 8 and you have me very worried:( Oh well, no sense worrying over something I can't change..we'll just have to make the best of it:)

We're going on January 8 and you have me very worried:( Oh well, no sense worrying over something I can't change..we'll just have to make the best of it:)

We are on the Legend Jan 8 & I'm kinda wishing I'd not read this

board now!:o

Oh well. We have cruised in Jan for 3 years now and have yet to be disappointed so hopefully this Jan won't be an different.

We are on the Legend Jan 8 & I'm kinda wishing I'd not read this

board now!:o

Oh well. We have cruised in Jan for 3 years now and have yet to be disappointed so hopefully this Jan won't be an different.

Glad to hear you've had no problems in the past three years...We only did a western once about 2 years ago in December..and we had no problems at that time..but after reading this thread I started worrying a little:eek:

Archived