First-Time Cruiser- 2 quick questions about 1) formal dinner, and 2)passport/b.certif

bizzylady

Hi - I have a cruise (first time) coming up in November on Carnival Elation. Here are my questions :

1 - Do they keep your "original" birth certificate and/or passport until you leave the ship? or do you just have to show it to them and they give it right back?? And do we need to carry a copy with us at all times, like when we get off the ship?

2- The formal dinner that we go to -- Normally on which night of the cruise is that dinner? We have a 4 day cruise, and I just wanted to know if it would be on a night we were at sea, or the night after being in Cozumel all day. ??

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Cruising :)

Passport questions: You will present it at check-in and they will give it back to you. You usually do not need it to enter the ports-of-call. You will definitely need to present it to Customs agent when you return to the states.

Formal Night: Usually is on an At Sea day but I'm not sure on a 4 day-er.

Have fun on your first of what will probably be many!!! :D

thanks to all of you for the replies! I can't wait to go! :)

have you checked into your roll call - also, subscribe to this thread so you can be alerted everytime someone replies to your questions. Have an awesome time - I can still remember our first cruise - I still get excited no matter how many cruises I go on

yes, I put my info on roll call a while back! and I just 'subscribed'. Thanks for letting me know!!! And for the nice words.

Also -the Carnival site said 2 pcs of luggage each, I think? can you carry them both on with you, or do you have to give them to the people to check them in?? I guess I should go read up on the Carnival site, but if anyone knows... please post. I wanted to at least bring one bag with me, with stuff I will need right away.

Sorry if this is something that is obvious on the CArnival site, but I am feeling overwhelmed right now with trying to figure out with how it all will work out and what to expect!

You give your luggage to the porters at the pier when you arrive and you can bring a carry on.

You can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne per person - over the age of 21 - in your carry on. Also if you are bringing soda or water that must be in your carry on as well. I try not to carry too much stuff on with me because you have the schlep it with you until the cabins are ready, usually around 1:30 or so.

I believe Carnival "recommends" two bags but they would never know or care if you brought more. Tip the porters at the pier.

Your luggage gets delivered later that evening to your cabin and sometimes it can take a while to get to you so if you have any medications, I would keep that in your carry on as well.

Also - I might have missed it - but if you have to fly to your embarkation port, fly in a day ahead of time. Don't try to arrive the day of sailing.

Have fun!!!

Thanks for your helpful info! I knew about the water and wine, but you said to bring that in my "carry on". However, I was going to put things like medications, make up, personal items, and some clothing we would need for later that day, in my carry on. So HOW am I supposed to put all that AND water and wine in ONE carry on? that's why I am confused. Couldn't I take the one bag with my clothes and make up and stuff, and give the water and wine suitcase to the porter? and how much do we tip the porter? does that get our bags to our room quicker? I feel like I am going to get there and not know what to do and what's going on! lol

Thanks for your helpful info! I knew about the water and wine, but you said to bring that in my "carry on". However, I was going to put things like medications, make up, personal items, and some clothing we would need for later that day, in my carry on. So HOW am I supposed to put all that AND water and wine in ONE carry on? that's why I am confused. Couldn't I take the one bag with my clothes and make up and stuff, and give the water and wine suitcase to the porter? and how much do we tip the porter? does that get our bags to our room quicker? I feel like I am going to get there and not know what to do and what's going on! lol

Carnival does not allow you to check luggage that contains your wine and water. If you put your wine in your checked luggage they will probably take it from you because they will think you are trying to smuggle it. There are people who try to hide liquor in their bags to save some $ on board. If they take it from you, you most likely will not get it back till the last night of the cruise. Hubby and I each take a carry on and the wine and soda go in one and clothes, meds and other important stuff goes in the other. Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful cruise! It is just as much fun to plan the vacation as it is to actually go for me!

My carry on is wheeled, and I bet we have as many medications as you do.

The rule states IN YOUR CARRY ON ONLY.

so if they take it because you dont feel like carrying it, its your choice. We have had more than one person later complaining their soda in their checked luggage was taken, only have themselves to blame.

Archived