Snorkeling with Manatees

Karlie1

Around 1980 I was taking my lessons to get certifacation with a dive shop in Orlando. Before we got our certification, we took a snorkel trip to Blue Springs to swim with the Manatees. At the time I was not famaliar with Manatees because I was from Illinois. I was nervous at first but finally relaxed. It was very enjoyableto swim with these well natured mammals. I really don't remember very much:o other than it was fun. The water was very clear and cool coming out of the earth which feeds the Spring.

Has anyone else done this with Memories to share. :)

not yet but we are headed to Crystal river Florida for there manatee celebration in jan to go swimming with them. Blue springs now closes the springs off from nov-mar for our little mermaids to have some peace and quiet:D no swimming or diving allowed.

We are lucky enough to live within 20 miles of Crystal River. Last week end we took my buddy's boat to do some fishing ( not so lucky there ). When we anchored there was a whole pack of manatee "playing". Two of them actually came up to the back of the boat and nosed around it. It was super amazing. They were very curious. It was the 1st time I have seen them that close

• 1 month later...

When we were swimming with the manatees the guides were telling us that the Manatees like women better than men. Their reason is that women more often have long fingernails and the manatees like to be scratched more than rubbed. And this was true for us because they would go right to the women in the group and left the guys watching.

• 7 months later...
Around 1980 I was taking my lessons to get certifacation with a dive shop in Orlando. Before we got our certification, we took a snorkel trip to Blue Springs to swim with the Manatees. At the time I was not famaliar with Manatees because I was from Illinois. I was nervous at first but finally relaxed. It was very enjoyableto swim with these well natured mammals. I really don't remember very much:o other than it was fun. The water was very clear and cool coming out of the earth which feeds the Spring.

Has anyone else done this with Memories to share. :)

My wife and I did this a couple of years ago in Crystal River in Florida. It was an absolutely amazing experience. You are not allowed to chase them, but you basically float on the surface and they will come to you. You are allowed to touch them and pet and scratch them. They really love to have their bellies rubbed as well. We used American Pro Divers and they were just really awesome. We have talked about going back and doing it again. The animals are so gentle. I just can't put into words how great it was.

Archived