River Royale Cruise Questions

cb222

We leave from Arles next Sunday and can hardly wait. We're starting with 2 days in Marseille on our own. Then 2 days in Lyon after the cruise.

If you have time for a few questions, can I start another topic in the Uniworld forum? My first question is about Avignon. It's hard to tell from the description. Does the guide take you to the Palace of the Popes or just to the museum.

I'll repeat this question in the new topic.

Thanks, cb

We leave from Arles next Sunday and can hardly wait. We're starting with 2 days in Marseille on our own. Then 2 days in Lyon after the cruise.

If you have time for a few questions, can I start another topic in the Uniworld forum? My first question is about Avignon. It's hard to tell from the description. Does the guide take you to the Palace of the Popes or just to the museum.

I'll repeat this question in the new topic.

Thanks, cb

You are going to love your cruise on River Royale. Top notch staff, food was great, etc. Your question about Avignon: our tour guide took us through the town (which was delightful), then on to the Palace of the Popes. If you choose, you can take a tour of the Palace, but we were told that most of the furniture and other niceties that had previously been there during the time the Popes live there, had been taken to the Vatican - so we skipped it. Walked to the top of the hill for wonderful photo opt of the famous Avignon bridge. Went to a synagogue and given history of the Jewish community. The downtown area has a magnificant indoor market with all kinds of booths with foods of all kinds, flowers, etc. After your tour, you will not feel like you have missed anything. Any more questions about the cruise?

B. Cole

Confusing - The brochure says we visit Pope's Palace and Pope's Palace museum which my map says are 2 separate buildings.

H2Otstr:

OOPS the train only runs Wed. and Sat. in Nov.

cole: Did you leave the walking tour at Pope's Palace and go off on your own?

cb

Confusing - The brochure says we visit Pope's Palace and Pope's Palace museum which my map says are 2 separate buildings.

H2Otstr:

OOPS the train only runs Wed. and Sat. in Nov.

cole: Did you leave the walking tour at Pope's Palace and go off on your own?

cb

We stayed with the tour until its conclusion, then you have time to do your own thing. It only lasts a couple of hours. I am really not sure just what the "museum" would be unless they are referring to the interior of the Palace. The tour guide uses the Vox sound system, which means you can easily wander away from the group if you want to look at something different and still hear the guide talking because you have the ear piece and receiver that transmits voice.

B. Cole

Are there shops and cafes near the dock in Chalon?

Do you rember where the ship docks?

I'm thinking about not going on the included bus trip to Beaune. My husband will go.

Thanks, cb

Are there shops and cafes near the dock in Chalon?

Do you rember where the ship docks?

I'm thinking about not going on the included bus trip to Beaune. My husband will go.

Thanks, cb

You are docked within easy walking distance to shops and cafes - but I would encourage you to look again at the excursion. We thought it was excellent and one of the most enjoyable and the outdoor market was great. You will return to the ship by noon and have plenty of time to do some walking in Chalon if you choose to take this excursion.

B. Cole

What time does the bus leave Chalon for Beaune? The brochure indicates that it's a half day excursion 6 am to noon.

What do they do for breakfast if the bus leaves at 6 am?

cb

Geez - we didn't leave at 6 a.m.! Maybe around 7:30? Of course, you can find out more about the departure time when you get on board. We had breakfast and had plenty of time to gather our things and board the bus and returned by noon. We had booked a train back to Paris from Chalon that afternoon because our flight from Paris left the next afternoon and we didn't want to get up at 3 a.m. to catch the early bus to Lyon. Having said that - we were back on the ship in enough time for a leisurely cab ride to the train station to catch the train.

B. Cole

Archived