Lost at the port in Callao

mrgrumps

Long time reader, but first time poster. My wife and I will arrive on the Rotterdam in Callao (Lima) in December. We are not going to M.P on this trip, so I'm trying to arrange an overnight at a hotel in Lima along with a couple of days touring the city.

I've tried researching these boards and the internet to get port information about transportation from the port, and the return. I've read many conflicting/horror stories.

Can anyone with first-hand knowledge tell me what to expect and how I can safely get to our hotel in Miraflores....and back to the ship?

Thanks

In my travels to uncertain areas, I usually find it best to have the hotel arrange a transfer for you - they will use someone who will know how to get to "your hotel".

I've also read on some of the port info to only use a "radio cab" - not to just hail a car off the street - that it will say "radio cab" on the car itself. I think I would go with using the hotel and having them make arrangements for dropping you off for your travels and asking the car/hotel if they would arrange to come back to pick you up after you tour an area.

I'm sure someone will come on with more solid info for you.

While you're in Lima, check out Parque de la Reserva (just google it). I've never gone there, but I know I want to during my travels.

Have fun touring.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife was born and raised in Peru and goes back occasionally to visit her brother and lots of old friends. She has used drivers from a good hotel and drivers provided or recommended by friends, the same as she uses during her visits.

The old part of Lima ties with Mexico City as the two oldest cities in the Americas and has wonderful places to see. However my uncle visited there at the end of a cruise at the same time my wife was there. She invited he and wife to be her guest for lunch in Miraflores, and he said he was so dissatisfied with Lima they had changed flights to go home the next day, but if his travel agent had booked him in Miraflores they would have stayed. The two are an inexpensive taxi ride apart or you can book tours to pick you up at your hotel. Walking the streets around a hotel in Miraflores is much safer than downtown Lima.

Enjoy your visit to Peru, and your cruise.

Archived