Western Caribbean - Which Ship?

Crew32

Hi, This may seem kinda crazy but I am looking to book a 4 or 5 nighter soon and can't decide which port to depart from. Which ship do you recommend? Holiday out of Mobile? Fascination out of Miami? Imagination out of Miami? Sensation out of New Orleans? Inspiration out of Tampa? I am taking my gf who has only been on one cruise... RCI Sovereign of the Seas, 3 nighter, no sea days. After that cruise she is a convert! I want a ship with lots to do, especially with 2 sea days, and a good variety of dining options, since we probably won't eat in the dining room much... dining time is too "structured". Are they all about the same?

Distance wise Mobile is closer, with N.O. second, then Tampa, and Miami. But I am willing to drive if it means a better experience.

Thanks

The Inspiration out of Tampa is an awesome ship. I went last year on the Western route. (It was 7 days then, though.) There is plenty to do on the ship. The pool has a slide, there's a basketball court, they have the contests, etc. It was also very easy to embark and disembark. We only waited about 15 minutes to embark. Disembarkation we had to wait in public areas, but we didn't wait long. We were in our car by 10:15.

I have been on the Sensation twice and would go again tomorrow!! Love that ship! Cruising out of New Orleans is wonderful and they are FUN people to cruise with!!!! As for dining options, on the older ships, your options are the dining room, the buffet, the deli, the pizza bar (24 hours) and room service... the dining room is wonderful! Buffet, well... it's a buffet, can be hit or miss. The deli is very good and the pizza is delicious! Room service is basically sandwiches, but they are delish!!!!! There is plenty to do... lots of activities... clean, well kept ship with a great staff!!!!!

In recent years, I've been on the Holiday and the Sensation. Enjoyed both cruises, BUT I prefer the Holiday.

As GC said, the dining room is the best food venue, and I have all three meals there. Buffet food is buffet food - no different than any at home. Ho-Hum. The Pizzeria is great, and it's open 24 hrs., also has nice cold Caesar salads. If you order from room service, get the Roast Beef and Brie on Baguette.....really good!

Would be nice for you to try the dining room at least once during your cruise. The service can't be beat.....and you can't get lobster on the buffet!:D Enjoy your cruise.

I just noticed your message; if you can manage 7 days, the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans is fantastic!! A new ship, tons of entertainment, great bars, awesome destinations. You definitely won't be sorry!!

Hi, This may seem kinda crazy but I am looking to book a 4 or 5 nighter soon and can't decide which port to depart from. Which ship do you recommend? Holiday out of Mobile? Fascination out of Miami? Imagination out of Miami? Sensation out of New Orleans? Inspiration out of Tampa? I am taking my gf who has only been on one cruise... RCI Sovereign of the Seas, 3 nighter, no sea days. After that cruise she is a convert! I want a ship with lots to do, especially with 2 sea days, and a good variety of dining options, since we probably won't eat in the dining room much... dining time is too "structured". Are they all about the same?

Distance wise Mobile is closer, with N.O. second, then Tampa, and Miami. But I am willing to drive if it means a better experience.

Thanks

in the first post of the thread, you talk about structured dining...well then you should go with NCL...specifically the NCL Sea...a GREAT AND AWESOME western carrib. itinerary (cozumel, cancun, roatan, and belize..) 7 night though...otherwise I would go with the imagination, inspiration or sensation since I absollutely LOVE fantasy class ships....

your welcome :D

Due to time constraints, I will be sailing either the holiday or the sensation. Now I just need help picking between those two.

Unfortunately, due to those time constraints, a 7 nighter is not possible for me. I would have to wait until December and I want the summer sun.

As far as the dining room goes... I love to eat dinner there. My gf didn't like the idea of having to eat at a set time every night. But her only cruise was a three nighter and each day was at a port. With 2 sea days, she may change her mind. We WILL be at least doing dinner on formal night. I was surprised that RCI didn't have lobster at dinner. I remember there always being a lobster night on cruises. I am glad to hear that this cruise will be a little more like what I remember as a child dining-wise.

I sailed the Holiday last year and she is a great ship. I am booked on the Sensation in September and I'm hoping there will be more activities since it's a little bigger. I loved the Holiday but there will probably be more to do on a larger ship so I suggest the Sensation.

Good Luck!

I loved the Holiday but there will probably be more to do on a larger ship so I suggest the Sensation.

Hi Phin - I didn't find anything 'more' on the Sensation than on the Holiday, with a couple of exceptions:

1-There is an atrium (although the purple neon may blind you).

2-There is a combo playing on deck, as opposed to only a steel drum player.

3-There is a deli (great Ruebens!).

Otherwise, I didn't see any major differences.....larger ship, more people, that's about it. Both ships are fine, but I'd go back on the Holiday.

• 2 weeks later...
What are the ports?

You should consider Galveston, TX. It is easy to get to, thru Houston Hobby or Intercontinental. Carnival has 4 and 5 day cruises as well as 7 days, and Royal Caribbean also has them (starting in Oct.) on Splendor of the Sea and 7 day on Rhapsody.

Galveston Texas is a great Port to go out of. Flying into Houston Hobby or Intercontinental is easy. Carnival has the Elation and Ecstasy, Royal Caribbean Rhapsody and Splendor of the Seas, and Grand Princess, and Celebrity Galaxy ( coming back in OCt.)

Unexpected work issues and new found hurricane damage have made traveling in August impossible. So I have booked a 7 nighter instead for December... Glory out of Port Canaveral. Hopefully, the weather will be that 80 degree avg. they claim. Since it is in early december, i could do a 7 day for the price of a summer 5 day.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Crew 32: Tell the girlfriend you want to surprise her and therefore cannot disclose the ships name or ports of call until you get on the ship. Rent a car, drive it to Fort Lauderdale for arrival on 11/25/05, stay at the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale, check out the Sushi on Las Olas Boulevard, well worth it. The next day drop off the car at the local car rental agency next to the port, the car rental folks will drop you off at the Port for embarkation on CARNIVAL'S LIBERTY. Brand new ship, going to Cozumel, Costa Rica and Panama. No a five day cruise will not do, that is like an appetizer. We are talking 8 days and 9 nights, plenty of sea days. The only problem with this scenario is you may get used to the lifestyle and not want to go back home. We always get depressed during debarkation. There you go, make your reservation and we will see you and GF on 11/26/05, happy sailing.

We've sailed the Holiday (very small), then the Conquest (too crowed and large), then the Sensation (just right, not too small and not too big or not too crowed, Just Right!!!!) Our favorite carnival ship. We also liked RCCL Granduer of the Seas our favorite ship out of New Orleans.

Archived