Belize - DIY sightseeing?

Isa65

We will visit Belize in July on the Liberty and after reading many threads on this forum I still have no clue what we'll do at this port.

Anyone who has been to Belize (or lives there), please advise...

We don't want to go cavetubing, ziplining, snorkeling, diving or swimming with any kind of animal. We don't want to sit on a bus and go see the ruins.

If we take a taxi in port and want to just go see some sights for a couple of hours -- what are the highlights we could ask our driver to take us to?

Thanks for your replies!

I really don't want to seem negative but there isn't anything of interest to "sightsee" in Belize City. We have passed through the city for many different tours over the years and the guides are struggling to point out things. Basically, in my opinion, the things you mentioned are really the only things of interest. The city itself is just plain ugly, I don't know how else to say it. The only thing I can think of that may be of interest is taking a boat ride tour with Coral Breeze to Caye Caulker. There, you can walk around the island, shop some and have lunch. Coral Breeze has pictures and tour descriptions on their website. It is about an hour by boat one way though to get there and this is after the 20 minute tender ride.

Also, about an hour away from the city is the zoo. My kids enjoyed it. We combined it with a cave tubing tour and it was on the way back, otherwise, I am not sure it is worth the ride out just for the zoo.

Here is a Youtube Video of Belize City -

This will give you an idea of what you will see.

I didn't really want to do any of those things either and chose the Land Rover and Cave Excursion through CCL. I believe that a lot of the other ships offer this as well.

Excursion Description

You’ll feel like Indiana Jones as you traverse through raw jungle trails in a rugged 4x4 Land Rover and trek through ancient Mayan caves.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a 45-minute ride to the “Landing”, the base camp for your expedition.
  • Participate in a short orientation before your expedition begins.
  • Set out in convoy formation and head along the highway.
  • Experience the Jungle’s natural beauty as you make your way from the Tourism Village into the heart of the rainforest.
  • Ride over some of the most challenging terrain imaginable in the jungle around Gracie Rock.
  • Arrive at base camp where local guides will lead you in small groups over a foot suspension bridge.
  • Reach the first cave that tunnels through the mountain and emerge into a hidden cirque.
  • Be outfitted with a safety helmet and headlamp before your guides lead you through the caves.
  • Be entertained with various stories along the way.
  • Return to the camp and swim in the river or simply relax as you enjoy some light refreshments.
  • Take an open-air 4x4 jungle truck back to the Tourism Village in Belize City.

Note: This excursion may operate in reverse to facilitate departure times and is not recommended for pregnant women or guests with back problems.

Minimum age for participation is 8 years. Guests wishing to drive the Land Rovers must be at least 21 years of age and show a valid driver’s license.

All vehicles are manual transmission.

Life jackets must be worn for the river portion of the tour. Sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and insect repellant are recommended.

Belize is a port you really have to plan an excursion. It is not a "hire a taxi and see it yourself" type port.

You can wait until you arrive at the toursit village to join in on an excursion if you do not want to prebook and commit to something.

The options tend to be a fairly long bus ride out to where all the land excursions take place, or a water taxi/tour to one of the Cayes. You may want to research all the options and have a general idea of which option you want before arriving in the chaos of the tourist village.

Archived