independence of the seas

jue

hi

i will be going on this ship next september, to italy so just a few questions if anyone would answer

we are taking our 84 year old mum and she has a inside cabin near to us, we have a balcony stateroom 6546 and wondering how big the balconies are as she will be enjoying it as well and do you reckon we will fit a third chair on it as there really only looks as though it will fit two,, we might change. there as some bigger ones at the back of the ship but do you feel the ship movement more there. would hate sea sickness to ruin things..

also the biggest trip for her will be rome, so are the coaches air conditioned that take you i read somewhere that they lacked it, cant see it but just thought i would ask

Also a trip to toulon, just wondering if you can hop on a bus to marseille for a few hours or best to do the trip with rcl

Also corsica is there anything to do or see without a trip, any beaches or harbours looked at various pictures and looks nice

Also looking at gibraltor it looks like we are away from the rock so is it best to take the tour because we are not their very long and we would like mum to see that

I have also noticed by going on google earth and the street view that their are tour operators outside some ports, anybody experienced these.

One last request... do rcl use shuttle buses in every port and do they charge you,, my husband read they did ? cant see that but as i have never cruised with rcl before i dont know

many thanks for any replies

thankyou

jue

Hi there I've just been on this boat although not that itinerary. RCL do charge for their shuttles. In Madeira, the only one we used it was $8 each!

We were in an inside cabin so cannot answer your balcony question sorry.

I've been to Gibraltar and Corsica on P & O cruise and both we just got off and walked around but to get to the rock from the dock in Gibraltar was a brisk walk I recall. There would probably be taxis.

With Rome we got the train ourselves.

Sorry cant answer all questions hope you find the info!

There will only be 2 balcony chairs...you can certainly take your desk chair out onto the balcony for a 3rd seat.

Midships is the best location if movement is an issue.

Can't help with your excursions questions...you could probably find the answers in a guidebook...get one....either buy one or take one out at a library, if that's possible. LOTS of info in a guidebook!

RCI has NO "free" shuttles to anywhere....

hi

i will be going on this ship next september, to italy so just a few questions if anyone would answer

ANSWER

Are you booking to early ask you TA if they comply with the RCCL price promise that if RCL reduce the price they will match the reduction.

we are taking our 84 year old mum and she has a inside cabin near to us, we have a balcony stateroom 6546 and wondering how big the balconies are as she will be enjoying it as well and do you reckon we will fit a third chair on it as there really only looks as though it will fit two,, we might change

Answer

Most only have two chairs

. there as some bigger ones at the back of the ship but do you feel the ship movement more there. would hate sea sickness to ruin things..

Answer

Cabins at the stern are sort after cabin 6546 is very conveniant for the lifts, but a bit to close for me.

Just returned from the Brilliance of the Seas stern cabin , fantastic views and did not fell any movement to worry about.

also the biggest trip for her will be rome, so are the coaches air conditioned that take you i read somewhere that they lacked it, cant see it but just thought i would ask

Answer

Yes air Conditioned, just check at reception.if they are not ask for a refund.

Also a trip to toulon, just wondering if you can hop on a bus to marseille for a few hours or best to do the trip with rcl

Answer

Check out the Hop on hop off bus service on the Internet.

Also corsica is there anything to do or see without a trip, any beaches or harbours looked at various pictures and looks nice

Answer

You can walk from the ship and visit Naponleons's birth place

Also looking at gibraltor it looks like we are away from the rock so is it best to take the tour because we are not their very long and we would like mum to see that

Answer

YOU can walk or there is a private shuttle service at the dock gates,to the pedestrian area, Morrisons is the best place for Duty free if you are worried about snides. plenty of taxis offering tours though at the gates

I have also noticed by going on google earth and the street view that their are tour operators outside some ports, anybody experienced these.

One last request... do rcl use shuttle buses in every port and do they charge you,, my husband read they did ? cant see that but as i have never cruised with rcl before i dont know

All shuttle have a charge, if you are lucky a P&o Ship is there and is free.

Rome port there is a free shuttle to the port gates.

many thanks for any replies

thankyou

Make sure you have cover for medical problems as this is an American ship and treatment is very costly and not covered by UK EU eurpoean health insurance card.

Join the Meet and Mingle group for a party if 25 sign up via the RCCL site, and the Crown and Anchor club.

Hope it helps g

Most of the ports have a shuttle bus which is run by RCI at a cost sorry I cant remember exactly.

In Gibraltar and Ajjacio you can walk straight off the ship into town,in Gibraltar taxis are lined up outside the terminal building waiting to take you on a tour up the rock or about a five ten minute walk into the town.You can get a taxi back for only a couple of pounds.

also in Vigo you just walk off ship straight onto harbour front.

Lisbon has shuttle but outside terminal HOHO buses and taxis lined up waiting also.

Rome the coaches are all air conditioned as are all the coaches in every port if you go on a RCI tour.

I dont know about Toulon we got ships shuttle into toulon as its quiet away from where the ship docks,I have to admit I wasnt really impressed with Toulon so were planning on taking a ships tour next time. Theres lots of info on the France page.

The other thing I can feel more movement at aft than anywhere else (thats justme and Im a bad traveller) so id go for something mid ships if it was me. Have a great time

There is a beach in Ajaccio, Corsica, in walking distance of the ship. If you turn left after leaving the dock and keep walking along the shoreline, past the Citadelle you will reach it. It's not far from the Cathedral. It's called Plage St- Francois. Also, I had the most wonderful gelato in Ajaccio. I believe it's on the Bd. Cardinal Fesch. You find the tourist office near the market place (the "i" with a circle around it on the map below) go around the corner and then turn right.

Here's a helpful map of the city:

http://images.france-for-visitors.com/images/pdf/ajaccio-map.pdf

Hi

Not sure what balcony cabin you have booked but if you could get one at the aft that have bigger balconies I would definitely go for it. The motion in our opinion is not an issue at all.

1700/1702/1400/1402 are all brilliant D1 cabins with large balconies. It is a long walk from the lifts so if mobility is an issue maybe avoid it as mid ships will be more ideal (though wont have the large balconies).

I believe that there are E1 cabins at the aft too that have bigger balconies but have never stayed in them.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise on the Indy. We love her.

Archived