Miami Beach Guidance Please

BENNETT531

Hello... I seem to be getting nowhere with my information search. I'm hoping to find an area expert out there.

Background:

We (husband and I, two daughters 8 & 11) will have an extra day available before our flight home in November. The ship disembarks in POM, and our flight is the next morning at FLL. I already have the hotel booked near the airport since we have a very early flight. We will also be renting a car at POM. Anyways, I would like to take the family on a boat tour of the Miami /Biscayne area. Any suggestions for tours out there??

Also, trying to find a family-friendly, clean public beach to spend the rest of the afternoon, anywhere in Miami or Ft Lauderdale. I'm just not sold on the South Beach area just yet.

I will appreciate any advice.

Thanks - Lisa

Kids LOVE the Miami Ducks Tour. It goes from land to water and back. The guides are energetic and try to keep the tour fun and interesting. We did it with family and the guide was a stitch. Kids loved sitting up on the top looking down at the folks walking the streets. We thought they did a nice job.

http://www.ducktourssouthbeach.com/

Besides the Duck Tour there bay are tours at Bayfront Park. I enjoy South Beach, it has a good public beach with facilities - parking can be difficult.

Fort Lauderdale also has a good public beach area. You may wish to take the hop on hop off Water Taxi there (good fun, informative tour).

I actually thought about doing the Duck Tour. It seems like fun. Although, they haven't gotten a ton of good reviews lately, and it's kinda pricey. I am definitely still considering though.

There seem to be some nice beach areas near Ft. Lauderdale too. What if we did a Miami bay tour, then drove up through Miami beach area to Hollywood? Has anyone been there? It looks like they have a nice Boardwalk type area that maybe isn't as much of a tourist trap as South Beach is. Thanks mfeenker, the water taxi looks good too...

Any better ideas?

It's funny how I have no problem planning excursions, etc for the cruise--yet this last day in Miami is really been troublesome for me :)

My favorite beach in Miami is Bal Harbour Beach. It's a lot closer to Miami than Hollywood Beach (although that one is nice too). Another option is the beach on Bill Baggs State Park. It's a nice beach and it's quiet but there is an entrance fee since it is a state park.

But to be honest, if you're not sure about the crowd on South Beach you only have to go a few miles north to get some peace and quiet. You don't need to go all the way up to Ft. Lauderdale.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to do some more research tonight. It's good to know that there are plenty of options out there. Maybe we will just play it by ear, and drive up the coast. I'm sure we will find a place we can't resist :)

Thanks so much!

Archived