Pre pay your gratuities now!!!!

BigDfromTN

Dont be cheap by removing tips. they are on to folks who say "oh I want to hand them out myself"

If you remove the tips to hand it to them .. then they have to turn it in.. you will defeat your own so called purpose.

For your information, I have already pre-paid the tips. I don't like your insinuating that I am not going to tip if I don't pre-pay. You have no way of knowing what I would do or not do. BTW, how do you know the staff have to turn in any tips that you hand to them?

Firefly, I really do not like your condescending remarks and I have seen many on this forum.

Like I said, how do you know the staff get the pre-paid tips? Just because someone called "John" says so?

Just got an email from my PVP. Gratuities are going up to 11.50 per day, starting tomorrow!!!

Here is what she sent me.....

Go online tonight and prepay your gratuities because those who’ve prepaid by tonight will not see the increase to 11.50 a day starting tomorrow – just came across my desk. If you can’t do it call 800 carnival

shoot i wish i had read this yesterday I tried to prepay today and it has already gone up. I would have prepaid for sure!!

My PVP confirmed it too.

RCL gave months of notice. I think its wrong to not give any notice. Carnival might be a value, but they dont play fair. Im cruising next week and will pay them, but I think they should give notice, not do it overnight

I totally agree that we should have received advance notice of the increase in tips. I just received the e-mail from Carnival one hour ago--too late to pre-pay. I'm paying for a 7-day cruise for 11 people. Now I have to pay $115.50 more for our cruise. That may not be a lot for some people, but it sure means something to me. I think Carnival should not be charging this additional amount to anyone who has already made reservations but rather to all new reservations.

And how do we 'know' that the servants/staff get all/part of this pre-paid gratuity :confused:

Because Carnival tells us they do :confused:

I had rather just give it to them myself. Now remember folks, I have never been on a cruise, so I don't know anything about these things. Just wondering.

I have to agree, I never ever prepay and I always have my automatic tips removed off my account no matter what line I cruise. I have talked to many servers etc on the ships and I'm not at all convinced that ALL the tips people prepay or hand over to the lines directly, go to all the different people they are meant to like their "guidelines for daily tips" say . I GIVE DIRECTLY TO MY SERVERS, CABIN STUART, ETC. then I know without a doubt it's in their pockets 100% and I will continue to do so. The minute a cruise line makes the tips manditory, I will not sail with them. Cause after all THEY are the ones working and serving us NOT the corporations.

I hope once you see the service you will change you mind and leave the auto tips on.

People who remove the tips go on a list and to me it would be embarrassing to go and ask to have them removed. Dont be cheap by removing tips. they are on to folks who say "oh I want to hand them out myself"

go on your first cruise, and hopefully you will change your mind. John and others have said the money goes to the employees designated. If you remove the tips to hand it to them .. then they have to turn it in.. you will defeat your own so called purpose.

you have too much faith in what "John" says!!!

We have to make our final payment for our Jan cruise next week to our TA. I wonder if we can add our $10 pp/pd tips at that time to avoid the Dec raise?

I doubt it!

The one thing that has been clear is that it is effective today. I think even if you send in the $10.00 pp/pd with your final payment - you would be contacted about the "outstanding balance" .

For everything the crew does from getting you from point a to point b and to points beyond safely, to filling the cooler with ice for the smuggled booze, bringing those 14 lobster tails, cleaning up after us at least twice a day, singing the cheezy songs we want them to sing and 1000 other things, we should be paying a lot more than $11.50 a day.

On an 8 day cruise the increase is a bloody $12.00 per person. So we drink 2 less DoDs or don't buy the insanely overpriced Coconut Head container made in China...

Carnival gave 30 days notice. Get over it.

For everything the crew does from getting you from point a to point b and to points beyond safely, to filling the cooler with ice for the smuggled booze, bringing those 14 lobster tails, cleaning up after us at least twice a day, singing the cheezy songs we want them to sing and 1000 other things, we should be paying a lot more than $11.50 a day.

On an 8 day cruise the increase is a bloody $12.00 per person. So we drink 2 less DoDs or don't buy the insanely overpriced Coconut Head container made in China...

Carnival gave 30 days notice. Get over it.

I agree! The staff deserves it. Seeing how they are treated by some people they should be able to add additional for bad behavior also.;)

Any idea what that will do to unemployment?

No offense here, but I own 2 photography companies. Being condescending or a smarty pants is really not going to take you very far with me. I am an educated individual. Of course, if wages were raised, more people would inevitably get laid off.

However, if there were laws in place that demanded the executives took a cut in their own salaries in order to increase the average worker salary while also protecting their job security, that would be the preferable solution. Of course, this has nothing to do with this thread. But since I was asked what I felt an adequate wage was for someone, I merely answered.

As the Owner/CEO of my own company, I would rather have employees that are paid well and who want to work for me because they are happy and because their employment provides them the ability to not only pay their basic expenses but to be able to afford to live off of more than Ramen Noodles for dinner.

Now before anyone gets in a fit about expecting CEO's and business owners to take a cut in salary or to pay higher taxes... remember you're the same people saying "Oh it's only 10.50 per week per person so these people can afford to live."

Personally, I don't have a problem with tipping. I can afford to do so. But I don't agree with the system, regardless of what I can afford. I don't believe in a system that makes consumers have to feel bad for removing tips if they receive bad service, knowing that they're taking this money out of these peoples hands. It simply isn't the right thing to do. The cruise lines should include it as part of the fare. Period. A rather overwhelming number of passengers are repeat passengers according to my PVP. If it says on the website, "We've done away with automatic tips and have decided to ensure that our staff always receive adequate pay by implementing a small increase in passenger fare."...... I really do not think this would make the majority of passengers blink an eye.

We're avid cruisers. We're going to continue to cruise regardless. They can add the fuel surcharge back on if fuel prices demand it. They can charge an extra 5 dollars per person per day in the cruise fare price. Cruising is a lifestyle choice for me and I plan to always make the time and find the money to cruise until I am no longer able. I am sure MANY other people feel the same way.

It really is the way everything is being handled that I disagree with.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe the people who are actually taking the time to prepay their tips to save a buck 50 per day. In the big picture that is simply nothing to get all excited about.

I would personally never prepay my tips simply because I don't like to pay for service that hasn't even been rendered. Some of the same folks who are rushing to pay them before December 1st have argued in the past about how hard the staff work and how deserving they are.

My goodness, how much notification do folks need to spend an extra $1.50 per day. I would think a month is sufficient notice. Go pick up cans and sell them for goodness sake or get a second job if the tips are going to break the bank.

And how do we 'know' that the servants/staff get all/part of this pre-paid gratuity :confused:

Because Carnival tells us they do :confused:

I had rather just give it to them myself. Now remember folks, I have never been on a cruise, so I don't know anything about these things. Just wondering.

Servants?:eek:

Bill

Oh my gosh, I can't believe the people who are actually taking the time to prepay their tips to save a buck 50 per day. In the big picture that is simply nothing to get all excited about.

I would personally never prepay my tips simply because I don't like to pay for service that hasn't even been rendered. Some of the same folks who are rushing to pay them before December 1st have argued in the past about how hard the staff work and how deserving they are.

My goodness, how much notification do folks need to spend an extra $1.50 per day. I would think a month is sufficient notice. Go pick up cans and sell them for goodness sake or get a second job if the tips are going to break the bank.

Why does it surprise you. Look at all the people who will wait til the ship hits international waters to buy a soda sticker so they can save $3.00

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Servants?:eek:

Bill

Hey, Bill. you did not read all of it I guess. That is why I added "staff". :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by H82seaUgo viewpost.gif

the only thing carnival gets is interest off your money. all the rest goes to your servants.

Right...whatever you say......by the way, do you have some lake front property in Arizona I can buy ?

sure. that and an old london bridge (still laughing at that 40+ years later), but i invite you to point to anything where i have ever said he's not a great cruise director. unfortunately, he's the only one left of my personal top three.

Be honest. Would you feel better if Carnival's policy was

" Starting with those who book cruises as of an arbitrary date, they would be paying $11.50 instead of $10?"

This is under industry standard.

It will be interesting the effect the increase has on people tipping above and beyond the standard amount.

What are your thoughts ?

We sail in 35 days... cruise has been paid in full for months now... I paid $140 last month to prepay gratuities and my TA just charged me another $21 last night saying gratuities went up and because I have not sailed yet we are now to pay $80.50 per person for a 7 night cruise instead of $70.

I guess prepay doesn't mean you are locked into a certain price.?

Archived