B

leonardofan

I asked Fred. Olsen Snr. this very question some time ago. He said he wasn't certain but it is thought it was in honour of a family member whose name began with "B". Incidently, the Fred. Olsen cargo ships and tankers names also begin with "B" but I'm not certain about their ferries.

There's a book, 'The Fred.Olsen Line' by Anthony Cooke (Carmania Press, 2007) which details the history of the various components of the Fred.Olsen empire over a century or so, and it includes a lot of ship names. In the early days ship names began with any letter, but starting from the 20's or 30's, 'B' ships became more common. The first shIps named Black Watch and Black Prince were before WWII, and the 50s saw the first Braemar and the Blenheim (a name overdue for renewal, I think), together with many others.

I found it a good read.

Does anybody know WHY all Fred ships (in all trades) have names starting with B?

I asked a captain once and got an interesting but irrelevant discourse on the Olsen family's ties to Scotland....:rolleyes:

Not all of their ships have had names begining with "B" - some that didn't:

Faerder, Scotland, Norway, Anvers, Frigga, Memento, Morning Light, Sovereign, Sterling, Paris, Oscarborg, Christian IV, Kobenhaven.

Fred Olsen currently have two new wind farm installation ships in build for delivery in 2012.

It will be interesting to see if if they have "B" names.

There's also the Braemar Room on Black Watch. This wasn't at all confusing when it was created, which was in 1996 when Black Watch started sailing for Fred Olsen. It became confusing in 2001 when Braemar (the ship) also started cruising. (She's the third Braemar, btw.)

• 2 weeks later...

This dates back to the 19th century, the family owned many ships and wanted them all listed close together in the shipping lists. The owner's wife at the time was called Bolette, so they started with the B tradition.

I hope this has answered your question.

Regards FOCL

This dates back to the 19th century, the family owned many ships and wanted them all listed close together in the shipping lists. The owner's wife at the time was called Bolette, so they started with the B tradition.

Regards FOCL

Many thanks. Always a good basis for discussion on board

Regards FOCL

Thanks from me,too! :)

Archived