Preliminary info on a new ship

Orcrone

...but then the fleet would end up so large in number, I don't know how they could continue keeping their beds full and prices up so that they can afford to keep service levels to a point where they can continue as a 'premium' line.

In October of 1994, at about the time I took my first HAL cruise -- just 10 and a half years ago -- the Holland America Line had 6 ships and was the largest it had been in many years. Today, HAL has 12 ships and, in February of next year, will add a 13th ship. In other words, HAL has more than doubled it's fleet in just a decade. The prospect of removing 1 ship (the Prinsendam) and adding 2 or 3 more Vista-sized ships for mass-market cruising in the Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, and Europe, while shifting S and R ships to longer, more exotic itineraries, is not really much of an expansion ... not compared to the past expansions which have resulted in the fleet being the size it is today. I'm convinced that one of the reasons for the slump in service on HAL ships over the last several years has been the expansion of the fleet through the addition of 4 new, huge, vessels. HAL can only train just-so-many new staff members at any one time.

if they're looking for longer and more exotic sailings (a la Prinsendam) then bigger ships won't really cut it. For one thing, larger ships aren't easily accommodated in the more "exotic" ports of call. Secondly, the universe of potential pax for longer cruises is much smaller than that for shorter sailings so filling a Vista and beyond ship would be more challenging.

I agree, Jim. That is precisely why I have said that it looks like HAL is scrapping its plans to build new, smaller, "world voyage" ships and is just going to let the S & R class ships do the exotic, long-range cruises; the Vistas and a future Megadam or two are not suited, in terms of size and passenger compliment, for those itineraries ... but they are perfect for the "milk runs" in the Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, Europe, New England, etc..

But, then, "reasonable" and "corporate thinking" rarely show up in the same paragraph!

I know ... like "Government Assistance" and "Military Intelligence," they just don't go together very well. :D

Archived