phone rental in Argentina

kelly-NYC

My boss is traveling to Buenos Aires next week. He needs to rent a cell phone while there. I have contacted several places recomended by travel books. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with cell phone rental in Argentina. Is there anything I should keep in mind? Are there scams that I should watch for? Thanks!

Kelly

Try Worldcell.com. http://www.worldcell.com Reasonable rate-$about $40.00 wk. plus shipping. The company is based in the US. You order the phone either online or via phone (I prefer the phone), they ship it to your home or office, programmed for the countries you need. There is a Fed Ex return envelope and neat little business cards with your world cell number on them.

I have used them all over the world, and have never failed to be pleased with their great service.

• 1 month later...

I have used www.phonerentalusa.com they are based in the US and have a Branch in Argentina. They offer the best rates. and the first week is free of rental charges. The best of hiring them was that I got a local phone in Argentina with also a 1-800 munber in the US, so my family could call me at my cell phone at no charge.

I have used www.phonerentalusa.com they are based in the US and have a Branch in Argentina. They offer the best rates. and the first week is free of rental charges. The best of hiring them was that I got a local phone in Argentina with also a 1-800 munber in the US, so my family could call me at my cell phone at no charge.

Hate to disagree, but phonerentalusa.com is definitely NOT the cheapest, nor do they have the best service. Here are my reasons.

1. Yes, the first week is free, BUT you must use $25.00 of their services or you will be charged the fees. That charge will be AT LEAST $25.00, if not more.

2. Their delivery and return charges are very high, and you do NOT know what they are until you place an order. It is hard to make an educated decision when you have a CSR telling you about the first week free, and then casually mentioning that the delivery and pickup charges amount to $50.00+++.

3. Their phone usage rates are pretty darn high. If you have incoming calls on the 800 number, not only are you billed the incoming rate, but you are charged an additional $.50 per minute.

4. They pre authorize your charge card for $350.00. That is $350.00 that you are not allowed to use, any way, shape, or form, except for phone charges. Who in their right mind, unless an emergency situation or a business trip, would run up $350.00 in international cell phone charges on vacation? Much cheaper to use a calling card if you must phone home that much.

I am satisfied with WorldCell. Their service is EXCELLENT, their rates are fair. I have rented from them 13-14 times, purchased one of their used satellite phones, and have never been let down with their service. I travel to some very out of the way places and don't want to have problems with cell service, especially when I may really need it for my safety and security, not just to phone home.

Archived