How to avoid purchasing photos on board?

I either say "No thanks" and keep on walking or I decide that I will buy one this cruise and even set up a time to have it taken -- always my eyes are closed or bra strap out or they went and found 2 ugly folks wearing the same clothes and DH and I:eek:. Easy to turn down. If you look good in cruise photos you better buy them now -- it gets worse with age and you won't want them -- in fact you look for them to trash before everyone sees them!!!!:eek:

Edited by Bowie MeMe

• 2 weeks later...
Last cruise a lady (young) was snapping pics with her cell, sending them to her Mom at home asking which to buy. She had over a dozen to purchase and the clerk came buy and told her to move along and pulled the good pics out of her hand tearing them across the top. She actually left in tears...I thought from being "caught". I saw her 2 days later and she remembered me. She asked me to come with her to the photo manager to report the clerk, said guest services told her she could have a few free pics if she found a "witness". I did, she even shared her texts with the manager and she ended up getting 12 pics FREE. So, sometimes the photo folks have very bad days and sometimes that dept can be very kind. (I really did feel bad for her...her Mom has MS and it was her graduation gift from college)

That girl was very lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been on more than a dozen cruises and in the beginning, we were the photo suckers. We went EVERY day and we bought photos EVERY day. We could fill a box between all of the family members who did the same thing on the same cruise with us. Since we usually carry the same formal outfits, it got pretty funny to see that the outfit was not aging...but we were. We just say, "no thanks" with a smile or we just keep walking. We've found that the more casual photos that are taken by a fellow traveler has been the best. Our favorite photo ever was taken by a young man in front of the Trevi fountain. He came and asked if we would like for him to take our photo for us. He even set up the pose, which was brilliant. He couldn't have been more than 16. It's now our most prized, framed photo at home. I tried to give him a few euros and he wouldn't take it. Three generations of us in front of the Trevi, all smiling and in spite of a massive crowd, this kid managed to make it appear that we had the place all to ourselves.

best tip i read before our first cruise was to find your first pic, then every day fine the new pic and put it in front of the first one and so on, so at the end of the trip all the photos are together and you can select whichever you want. On our second cruise, we avoided photographers as we didnt want to spend money on them. However the captain

was trotting round and we said hello and next thing he took us to a photographer and we had our pic taken with him. We HAD to buy that one! Our next cruise in Jan 2014 we will probably avoid photos again. However never did we feel any photographer was rude that we didnt want our pics taking.

• 4 weeks later...
best tip i read before our first cruise was to find your first pic, then every day fine the new pic and put it in front of the first one and so on, so at the end of the trip all the photos are together and you can select whichever you want.

We did this on our last cruise and about 2/3 of the way thru the trip someone in the photo department put them all back in the 'proper section'! We were so annoyed! :confused: Spent all that time looking for them and them and keeping a pile - all to have to be repeated again. :eek:

Lesson learned and I see now that we can ask someone at the desk to "create a file" for us - that will save a lot of time! Hope it works!!!

Oh and don't try to take your own pics at their set ups as thy get really angry about this. We always find it hysterical to watch ppl get shooed away lol.

My church paid me to do a photo shoot of one of the children's singing groups. I used my own backdrop and equipment. When I was finished, one parent tired to take a photo of her children using her cell phone and MY backdrop. I stepped directly into her shot and began dismantling my backdrop. She asked me to wait. I said, "no, this isn't free!" Why are folks always trying to get something for nothing. That's stealing!

Sorry, but I'm an aspiring photographer and it really irks me when someone wants me to take pics of them with my equipment for free. I don't ask folks to give me their professional services for free!

Sorry I started ranting...as you were!

Sent from my iPad

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011--Lost My Cruise Virginity

Carnival Miracle December 2011--Christmas at Sea

Carnival Ecstacy December 2012--34th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Imagination March 2013--Last Minute Getaway

Carnival Valor July 2013--Friend's 40th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Freedom December 2013--35th Born Day Celebration

Carnival Ecstasy March 2014--Spring Break

Carnival ??? August 2013--TBA

My problem is that most cruisers do not know how to use a DSLR camera. On my last cruise I convinced a photographer to take a few pics of us since he liked our camera. He did turn away others when they asked him to take their pics.

I always set my DSLR to auto when someone else is going to take a photo of me and/or my companions, and I always place the camera strap around the volunteer's neck as I show him/her where the button is.

Sent from my iPad

Just to answer your question---just don't buy them.:)

quote]

And don't go look at them!! LOL.

I saw a lady in the gallery taking pictures OF pictures with her cell phone, and nobody was even trying to stop her??

I know friends have done this. That's stealing, plain and simple. My ex husband did this on our first cruise. Embarrassing, and I was secretly praying he wouldn't get caught and embarrass me further.

I'm a picture person, but I'm almost always behind the camera, so I buy up photos on my cruises. I know it's expensive, but I don't drink, and I don't buy loads of souvenirs. The photos are my souvenirs. I budget my money to spend on photos. I have enough of myself, so I will probably get my companions to pose for several with me so I can buy some of the group.

I'm amazed at how much folks spend on alcohol on cruises, and some are amazed at how much I spend on photos on cruises. To each his own.

Sent from my iPad

Yes, we like to watch also. Unbelievable that people don't understand that they make their living on these photos. really riles them when the amateur flashes his camera at the same time as them. :eek:

The flash from another camera ruins the shot for both. Trust me. I've had it happen to me when someone pays me to take pics at an event. It is ignorant at best, and inconsiderate at worst.

Sent from my iPad

If you do happen to like pictures taking during a cruise I would recommend getting a picture package. Purchased one this past trip. It not every day the DH & I dress up so it was worth the money...And we had a blast getting pictures at each port and throughout the cruise...We definitely got the money's worth!!

I have not seen a photo package offered on Carnival, but if I see one tis cruise, I'm definitely going for it!

Sent from my iPad

I'm a picture nut. I can't help it. If you buy pictures from NCL, you can call them as soon as you get home and ask them to email you a copyright letter so you can then take your pictures to Walmart or wherever and have them duplicated. I asked and they did it in about 5 minutes. Disney wouldn't do it but NCL did.

As far as taking a picture of your picture, how cheap can you be? lol

Carnival has a copyright release on their website. I downloaded it, so now I make as many copies of my pictures as I want.

Sent from my iPad

The photographers are pushy and incessant, and then they post pictures without your permission for 4000 people to see.

Every cruiser has the right to find their photo on the big wall, take it to the counter and ask that it NOT be displayed.

Two ways to avoid his. One, if you don't want your pic taken, simply say no. I've not had a problem with them accepting my declination, even if they start making comments about how pretty I am. Two, if you pose for pics, and don't want them to remain on display, pull them down and put them in the throw away bins that are located all over the photo gallery. Not bashing the cruiser I quoted, but I don't see what the gripe is.

BTW, by taking the photo at all, one consents to having it placed on the wall in the photo gallery. So if displaying it is really an issue for some people, simply decline to take the photo at all.

Sent from my iPad

Personally I think photographers are vermin and should be thrown overboard

Okie dokie... (Disgruntled??)

Sent from my iPad

We sometimes have photos taken when we feel like it and have never had an issue with photographers. We sometimes buy one formal family pose as my mother loves having them.

However on the Royal a couple of weeks ago the photographer in the MDR was quite rude when I politely said no thankyou. I had to be very insistant to get her to move away from our table whilst she shouted at me about cruise traditions!:eek:

I have had the same issue when the bar tender tries to sell me drinks during dinner. I'm not sure what part of "I'm not a drinker" they don't understand. But I treat them the same way I treat students who beg me for something they know I won't allow. I just keep politely saying no, and then I ignored the bar tender.

Sent from my iPad

My main issue with photographers is that they do not take NO for an answer and are extremely obtrusive .When I am trying to enjoy a meal with my family I do not want my

****ing photo taken.On my last trip ( a major land based resort in Dubai) and had to resort to calling security to get them to leave us alone.

I support a civil society and would generally just say no thank you and keep walking ,but a section of this "profession" seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to harass and bully people.

Why to cruise lines persist with this archaic practice in the digital age

Well, you said it. A section. Not the entire profession. So no need to throw all of them overboard.

Sent from my iPad

One of the difficult aspects of this conundrum is the price of the photograph...if it were $5, then no biggie. I can see myself buying 3 or 4 photos.

But $20 for ONE photo? The price is prohibitive. Technology has evolved such that I can get a stranger to take an 8GB photo of my family, using my cell phone, and the result is a digital file that I can email or print. So, why should I pay $20 for a hardcopy photo that I can't do anything with but put in a hardcopy photo album?

I try and be nice to the photographer...this is how they make their living however they want to take pictures at the worst times. I don't look particularly good getting on the ship with a carry on in casual clothes, nor do we look good on our way into a beach port. I haven't bought a pic on a cruise in 8 years but mostly because our formal pics never come out that great.